Skip to content

Should Carthage be destroyed?

BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
Was Cato right? Did Carthage need to be destroyed? Maybe it's a bit late asking, but should Carthage be destroyed?
  1. Should Carthage be destroyed?48 votes
    1. Yes, Carthage should be destroyed.
      39.58%
    2. Hannibal liked elephants. Leave Carthage alone!
      52.08%
    3. Wasn't Cato in the Pink Panther films?
        8.33%

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    My friends this does not even need to be questioned. You know Carthage to be the truest threat to our people and our way of life.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I have wondered which diogenes is the forty-second one, but I guess it's probably not this one.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited April 2016
    While salting the earth was a bit much, and attacking them for defending themselves was a dick move, I can see why they would have done it. I would have stopped at destroying the walls though.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    But in Carthage the Brujah lives in harmony with all mortals. Where can they go now?
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Yes, Carthage should be destroyed. While I have yet to travel to Carthage I somehow know that they worship a diety called Baal and sacrifice their children to it. Further, one Carthagian said something about the virility of Roman men that was very rude.

Clearly, the only option available to us to kill everyone and to sow the fields with salt.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Well yes of course the aqueduct. That goes without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, what have they ever done for us?
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

Clearly, the only option available to us to kill everyone and to sow the fields with salt.

With salt? Wow, that is hardcore! :open_mouth: Clever-like rabbit. :3
    Just to be clear -- this will result in pre-seasoned broccoli, right? Because that's what I'm after -- seasoned vegetables. That and dead Carthaginians of course.
    BGLover said:

Well yes of course the aqueduct. That goes without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, what have they ever done for us?

The sanitation! Remember what the city used to be like?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I am sorry ... but elephants are so endearing ...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In Civ5, I usually destroy them as soon as possible. The extra gold they get from free harbours adds up extermely quockly and they turn defensive mountains to their advantage.

Besides that, you really can not say how the world would have been shaped if Carthage wasnt destroyed.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I was thinking more of the Green Hornet, myself...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Ammar said:

But in Carthage the Brujah lives in harmony with all mortals. Where can they go now?

We wouldn't even need The Masquerade if this utopia could've grown in popularity and become a global phenomenon.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Hannibal should have marched on rome while he had the chance. Scpio was not as squemish
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited April 2016
    Hannibal crossed the Alps, waded through the fire swamp, and even, if memory serves, took out his own eye because it got infected. He's like the closest thing in the real world to the Dread Pirate Roberts. Srsly, if you've never read about that war, I'd recommend it to anyone when they get the time.

Also, war elephants. Nuff said.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Those poor, poor war elephants....
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Absolutely not. Cothons were miracles of Classical engineering (seriously, they were super-cool, google image search it!); the Romans were just jealous.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I've said all this elsewhere but:

I am of the opinion that Carthage and Rome both have the potential to be fluid gates through which the cosmos can flow and congeal for a time in the shape of a City For All, and that overtures of peace and friendship should be made in the spirit of a camaraderie that both includes the unique character of each city and transcends the form which the city takes in an all-encompassing embrace. Why should Rome qua Romans suffer death overseas for Rome qua Roman state? Why should Carthage qua Carthaginians suffer death because of Rome qua Senatorial posturing?

Plus Cato tripped me in the Senate one time and I hit my head on the floor and he scurried away like he didn't mean for it to go that far but didn't want to face responsibility for his actions, so now I periodically pay his housekeepers to sabotage his clasp so his toga falls down during his wild gesticulations he makes during speeches in support of his war measures.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Carthage should be destroyed for inventing the cart...

I have no evidence.

BGLover said:

Yes, yes yes. Sanitation too. But apart from the aqueduct and sanitation, what have the Romans ever done for us?

On a side note, I am very glad to wake up and find Saving Carthage surging into the lead.

• SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited April 2016
    It's where all the other progeny of Bhaal have gathered to plot our demise, only now they call themselves Baali.
    ~Tegyrius
    BGLover said:

BGLover said:

Yes, yes yes. Sanitation too. But apart from the aqueduct and sanitation, what have the Romans ever done for us?

On a side note, I am very glad to wake up and find Saving Carthage surging into the lead.

And the roads...
    And yet, Diogenes42, despite the aqueducts and the sanitation and the roads, saving Carthage has now cemented its lead among forum members.

Besides, apart from the aqueducts and the sanitation and the roads, they've done nothing else for us, have they?
    Irrigation.

Medicine. Education. Health.

And the wine! That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left.

Public baths! And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.
    Oh come on now. Next you'll be telling me the Romans are responsible for that fine game series 'Baldurs Gate'.

Let me put this debate to bed.

Where would Imperial Roman regalia be without Tyrian purple dye?

Yes, I know it wasn't strictly Carthage that developed the trade, but it was their Phoenician fathers who did.

So according to my classical education, the purple dye made from the mucus of the Murex snail beats your aqueducts and sanitation and roads and irrigation and medicine and education and health and public baths. Hands down.

(And I'm not giving the Romans wine either!)