Skip to content

Unable to import SoD character into BGEE2

Hey everyone, just reaching out hoping someone can help me with this. I recently completed SoD and upon loading up BGEE2 (v2.1.63.2) and trying to import my character no characters are listed when I select the import button and when I try importing from the character selection screen and try importing from the saved games options no saves are listed (blank list) and my character is not listed under the character file option (even though I was able to export my character within SoD).

I have searched extensively through these forums and have tried different suggested options (including transferring the save file directly from the sodsave folder into the save folder in BGEE2 but still no characters or saved games are listed when I load up BGEE2. I even went as far as to backup my save files and completely uninstall then reinstall BGEE, BGEE2, and SoD which still did not resolve the issue. The closest I was able to get was in transferring my exported character file from the 'characters' folder in BGEE into the characters folder in BGEE2 which did make my character show up when selecting import --> character file, but my character did not have a portrait or her sound file I used in SoD.

Lastly I did notice that before I initially uninstalled then reinstalled BGEE2 I noticed that when loading up BGEE2 and preceding through the launch screen it had a screen that showed portraits highlighting the new NPCs added to the game (such as Dorn, Hexxat, etc), additionally in the character creation screen several portraits were added for both male and female (I can think off the top of my head for the female an elf mage type character and then an armored sword sheathing warrior with an eye patch) - however, when I reinstalled BGEE2 trying to fix the problem mentioned above with importing this screen with the new NPCs as well as these new portraits were absent. Does anyone know anything about this?? To my knowledge all of my game launchers (I use Beamdog for all three games) are up to date.

Any assistance anyone could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed SoD and was greatly looking forward to continuing my half-elf blade into BGEE2.

Thank you!

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2016
    Hi @StarSapphire
    Link to 2 threads for saves below.
    In summary
    - Saves need to be in BGEE "save" or "sodsave" folders. Will take equipment such as pantaloons.
    - Characters need to be in BGIIEE character folder. Won't take equipment such as pantaloons.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54448/importing-multiple-characters
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54357/resolved-import-characters-from-dragonspear-to-bg2-ee

Any custom portrait will need to be in both games portrait folders. I believe I know the portraits you are talking about - gallery of heroes - and if so that is reported under http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/21516
    If you used a SoD soundset, you will need to choose a new soundset for BGIIEE.
  • StarSapphireStarSapphire Member Posts: 4
    Hi @Gate70, thank you kindly for the response. I followed both of the links and your instructions to the T (including having your video playing and following it) but unfortunately it does not allow me to import my character through the 'save your pantaloons approach.'

Your instructions detailed
    "At 1m45 I make a new sodsave, close SoD and show the new save in the left 3rd folder.

At 2m10 I click New Game in BGIIEE (ignore the bit slightly before that, misclick).
    Create Party

Create
    Import
    Saved Game: List of original BGEE+SoD saves plus newly created SoD save, selected that." ---> for some reason none of my saved games are listed (the screen I see is attached). I tried loading my character through the mentioned single player option as well as through multiplayer just to see if that would make a difference but neither showed any save files.

Any other suggestions on how I might approach this?

I WAS able to get my character imported through the characters approach though, although as mentioned in my previous post my picture (which I believe was actually Clara - one of the portrait options through SoD) did not transfer over to BGEE2. On that note I followed the gallery of heroes report you had listed and I was wondering if you could clarify the instructions regarding:

---- Following lines should be added to BGEE.LUA file, portraits section: {'YANNER4', 1}, {'YANNER5', 1}, {'YANNER6', 1}, {'OHHEX', 2}, {'YANNER1', 2}, {'YANNER2', 2}, {'YANNER3', 2},
    Probably also DLC and dlc_content rows should be updated to have "yanner" references. ----

I opened up the .lua file (I am assuming this is equivalent to Baldur.lua? I do not seem to have a bgee.lua file specifically) but the list does not have a portraits section. Do I add a list of code at the bottom and if so what would the command be? I also do not have any reference to DLC within that Baldur.lua file.

Thank you so much for your time! :smiley:
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Might be a silly question, but are you attempting to import into Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal?
    Hey @Troodon80, its for Shadows of Amn!
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @StarSapphire you would need to use something like NearInfinity to edit the bgee.lua file
    Thanks @Gate70, appreciate the help!