Skip to content

Chain Contingency

YawaYawa Member Posts: 7
Is there a specific reason as to why I cannot select any 8th level spells for use in CC? The highest it will allow is 7th. I keep clicking on the 8th button (and 9th) and nothing will appear in the spell list. I have plenty of each 8th and 9th spells (not that I wanted to try and use 9th spells, just noting that too).

Though this might be a good time to mention CC, spell sequencer, spell trigger and the like have a habit of crashing my game every now and then (to the extent I'll QS before every cast).
ElezarGoturaljackjack

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Sounds like a bug. Chain Contingency is supposed to allow 8th-level spells and below.

The obvious question: are you using any mods?
    jackjackGotural
  • YawaYawa Member Posts: 7
    I am not using any mods. Just whatever the latest version is (2.1.something).
    Gotural
  • ElezarElezar Member Posts: 1
    I have same problem with CC and i think it's just a bug. And yes, trigger- and sequrncer-like spells crash my game periodically. I have no mods installed, just pure BG2EE 2.1.xxxx (steam version).
    Goturaljackjack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If it is a bug it won't be the first time that something working perfectly is broken by a patch. Sigh.
    jackjackMalbeth
  • fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 35
    Same here.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    lunar said:

If it is a bug it won't be the first time that something working perfectly is broken by a patch. Sigh.

And it certainly won't be the last. Regression is a common occurrence:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_regression
    jackjack
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133

I just checked BG2EE in Near Infinity, and CC has an effect called "Create Contingency" and under "max spell level" it says "8."

So, the spell seems to be coded correctly...

Including 8th level spells.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    If they are gonna fix it for any reason, they may also want to take a look at that SUPER annoying magic-dust-animation that triggers a few second after setting the contingency and before it kicks in, interrupting whatever your char is doing (most of the times casting a new spell).
    Gotural

If they are gonna fix it for any reason, they may also want to take a look at that SUPER annoying magic-dust-animation that triggers a few second after setting the contingency and before it kicks in, interrupting whatever your char is doing (most of the times casting a new spell).

I think it is there to prevent abusing the spell in-combat too much. Typically a mage is expected to cast it before going to bed, or at the start of the day, not in the thick of combat.
    jackjack
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

I just checked BG2EE in Near Infinity, and CC has an effect called "Create Contingency" and under "max spell level" it says "8."

So, the spell seems to be coded correctly...

Are you sure these are not code values? In EEKeeper spell level 8 has value 128. If so, "max level 8" actually means spell level 4.

Spell level - code value
    1 1
    2 2
    3 4
    4 8
    5 16
    6 32
    7 64
    8 128
    9 256
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I did the same thing as @subtledoctor and went to check it in game, even modified the effect to allow lvl9 spells and still stuck at lvl7 spells. I believe it's an UI-related bug with the contingency screen.
    jackjack
    jackjackSpaceInvader
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    What level is the character at? Maybe there is a bug transferring the 6th level contingency max spell level dependence on caster level to chain contingency.
    @Ammar That's not how it works, level-dependent spells have several ability headers to cast at different levels, Chain Contingency only has the one.
    [Deleted User]jackjack
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I'm having same problem can't add 8th level spells.

On a related note; I really don't like the new layout for spell books. I would have much preferred taking a more immersive approach by having each page as an actual spell per page. Spell level tabs at the top as they are now and large arrows on either side of the spell book to turn pages and cycle through spells of that level.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Mush_Mush said:

I'm having same problem can't add 8th level spells.

On a related note; I really don't like the new layout for spell books. I would have much preferred taking a more immersive approach by having each page as an actual spell per page. Spell level tabs at the top as they are now and large arrows on either side of the spell book to turn pages and cycle through spells of that level.

Funny, I find the spellbook change to be among the best new UI features, maybe the best of all ^_^ It even groups spells together if you memorize more than one copy of the same! I always had to do that manually and it annoyed the heck out of me.

It even groups spells together if you memorize more than one copy of the same! I always had to do that manually and it annoyed the heck out of me.

This is a change I actually don't like because it makes it harder to organize your spells in case of level drain or using simulacrum

mf2112SpaceInvader
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @lansounet I'm 100% sure that you couldn't order your spell selection in order to gain any benefits while casting Simulacrum.

I really tried everything, many times and despite what the game displayed at first (it could sometimes show the wrong spells available on your Simulacrum) your clone always had the spell in alphabetical order, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is still working like that.

Example: you have 5 level 2 slots, you choose Mirror Image twice, Blur twice and Invisibility once. If your simulacrum has 3 level 2 spells, no matter the order of spell selection, it will have Blur x2 and Invisibility because they come first in alphabetical order.

I agree it was really useful for Level Drain though.
    No more 3xwilting contingencies, then. Until they fix it in another patch, hopefully it is soon.
    @Gotural Simulacrum is a level-drained copy of the caster, how/why would it be different, AFAIK it always worked that way.
    jackjack
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    This change occurred in the same patch that re-enabled priest spells to be put into contingency/sequencers. However, rather than switching back and forth between mage and priest spell lists as it always has been in the past, they just lumped them all together in the same selection menu.

Guess what happens when it looks for level 8 and 9 priest spells to populate the list.
    jackjacklansounet
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Makes perfect sense. Pretty bad oversight.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Moved to the Troubleshooting subforum.

If you encounter a bug, please, report it as explained here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs#latest.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @subtledoctor Yes sorry I should have said that I was speaking the v1.3 of the game.

Even if your clone is a level drained version of you, it doesn't get your spell selection in the same order than you.
  • flreflre Member Posts: 1
    If you want my opinion this bug is nothing comparing to infinite chain contingency even with lvl 1 character <:D
    How to reproduce : hotkey chain contigency in bg options (im using hotkeys for most spells, life becomes much easier with this) , then enter the game with your mage character ( his lvl or your save doesn't matter ) , sleep for any amount of time, press hotkey which u set up for chain contigency and whoa! Irenicus is smoking in tears behind the corner comparing to child of Bhaal:smile:
    The whole thing is that you dont even need Chain contingency memorized or even learned at all. It can be used at any given time with any character.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    flre said:

If you want my opinion this bug is nothing comparing to infinite chain contingency even with lvl 1 character <:D
    How to reproduce : hotkey chain contigency in bg options (im using hotkeys for most spells, life becomes much easier with this) , then enter the game with your mage character ( his lvl or your save doesn't matter ) , sleep for any amount of time, press hotkey which u set up for chain contigency and whoa! Irenicus is smoking in tears behind the corner comparing to child of Bhaal:smile:
    The whole thing is that you dont even need Chain contingency memorized or even learned at all. It can be used at any given time with any character. </p>

Interesting but I can't reproduce it.
    jackjack