Skip to content

Valsharess HotU - or "almost impossible" in-game duels - for given classes. Rogue rant this one ;-)

TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
The Clash: "I Fought the Law, and the Law Won." (... while having fancied yourself the Robin Hood.)

But this is an amiable rant because finally, finally I beat the Valsharess of NWN HoTU. (Neverwinter Nights - Hordes of the Underdark)

I built my char upon rogue class in HotU, 20+ or so levels first time around, but I just could not beat Valsharess. I dropped the difficulty to easy and reloaded with the Finnish grit. (read: at least for an hour, maybe two) No could do, and I dropped it for quite some time.

Valsharess is immune to critical hits and sneak attacks. She is never or hardly ever interrupted by multiple melee hits (a rogue deals out five per round) that much, and deals out death magic on fortitude or will saves.

After my first annihilation I purposefully multi-classed to Bard (for only will and fortitude saves) and took "epic" will and fortitude save feat just to get past Valsharess.

Still I did drop the difficulty to easy and reloaded multiple times. But this was not organic or particularly enjoyable character build up, from my perspective. It was only done for the eventual will and fortitude saves.

Anyone else ever felt that duels are narrowly designed?

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Another example:

Dragonspear duel. As a swashbuckler I think it was neigh impossible on core. The opponent could flush me out of invisibility, and without back-stab multiplier my damage output was very mediocre. But at easy it went, so that is fine.

A positive example:

Arishok of DA2. Firstly, you can reject the single duel for a party clash. And secondly, it took me maybe half a dozen or more playthroughs to take Arishok on hard, maybe exploiting his weakness to illusion, but it felt very triumphant to do so, and my skills had their use before and after.
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2016
    Less RPG, but Deus Ex Human Revolution... Oh, you specced pure stealth? Too bad... We're going to lock you in a room and make you boss fight with your taser (was actually fun, once i managed it).

But that's something that's always existed in a game.
    There are some characters that specialize, and some that are stupidly good at everything.
    But if you specialize, you will eventually find yourself in a situation where you are un-equipped.

Warrior? Well here's a mage that can teleport around and throw fireballs.
    Mage? Your trapped in a room with an angry stone golem/monk.
    Rogue? Well, Crypts suck... stupid see-invis undead...

Ocassionally, one of the bane-types get elevated to boss stats to fit a story, and the poor class gets thrashed. Which is why its nice have a contingency plan, if you can manage it. That's when you actually use all those potions/scrolls/wands/figurines you were saving for a rainy day :)

Halfwise said:

Less RPG, but Deus Ex Human Revolution... Oh, you specced pure stealth? Too bad... We're going to lock you in a room and make you boss fight with your taser (was actually fun, once i managed it).

Ocassionally, one of the bane-types get elevated to boss stats to fit a story, and the poor class gets thrashed. Which is why its nice have a contingency plan, if you can manage it. That's when you actually use all those potions/scrolls/wands/figurines you were saving for a rainy day :)

Thx for posting Halfwise! This is not intended as RPG only thread only.

How would you characterise Deus Ex, out of interest? As a game, I mean. And what are "bane-types"?
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2016
    Deus Ex is a First Person Shooter with stealth and RPG elements.
    Meaning, you play it like an FPS, but what you can do and how well you do them is related to where you allocate skill points (DX1). (Like specializing in pistols, or explosives, or lockpicking)
    Then there are the various "powers" that you must choose between (DX1/2/3), like
    "Run faster and jump farther" or "Run silently".

Some people still call it an RPG, others claim its not a true one, so I like the "with RPG elements" phrase. And that varies within the series too (there are 3 main games currently) I figured your question could be interpreted as asking to know more about Deus Ex, or asking my personal classification, so I figured I just do both. You may already know all this.
    --------------------------------------

When I say "Bane-type", I just mean a particular mob or monster in which a class is normally ineffectual against.

For example... Stone golems are the bane of mages, as they are basically immune to all things magic, and then can crush you in melee to boot! So, if you are playing a mage and forced to fight a Stone Golem boss that's been supercharged, 1-on-1.... it would probably end badly. Unless you prepared by buying say.. a bunch of "Summon Elemental" scrolls to smash it for you.. OR Polymorph.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Last I checked you can 'cheat' on the Ashatiel fight to break into a full-on brawl... at least there are lines for it. So you're not entirely boned if your PC isn't built for 1v1.

I liked the duel in the NWN2 campaign. I played a buff/support bard in the OC so instead I had Casavir as my champion against Lorne. I feel that's the best way of handling duels in RPGs.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This is a common problem in games near the end. Often the game developers increase the difficulty of the last boss by giving it arbitrary immunities, which usually means immunity to disablers, magic, and/or backstabs. Stealth is also often impossible. The net result is to punish players who play mage-oriented or stealth-oriented characters.

Bosses are immune to everything but swords and bullets.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

This is a common problem in games near the end. Often the game developers increase the difficulty of the last boss by giving it arbitrary immunities, which usually means immunity to disablers, magic, and/or backstabs. Stealth is also often impossible. The net result is to punish players who play mage-oriented or stealth-oriented characters.

cough*Belhifet*cough

Last I checked you can 'cheat' on the Ashatiel fight to break into a full-on brawl... at least there are lines for it. So you're not entirely boned if your PC isn't built for 1v1.

I liked the duel in the NWN2 campaign. I played a buff/support bard in the OC so instead I had Casavir as my champion against Lorne. I feel that's the best way of handling duels in RPGs.

Oh my, I did not notice that option, so my inept heroics shall have been a needless thing then!

However, I still could have dropped it to "story-mode" even with Ashatiel, so in this sense I thought it was ok, even if I had the worst possible rogue class for that particular duel. Swashbucklers become fun at high levels, but at low level the dual wielding penalty on attack and lack of back-stab multiplier keep them quite underwhelming. (IMO)

I really love NWN2 OC campaign, and totally agree that a chance of naming a champion for some CHAR-builds is almost necessary since Lorne is such brutally hard hitting thank with his charming beserking stage on tops. Same goes with Dragon Age Origins Loghain duel, one can name a champion (minus your doggie, lol), which I really approve of.

While I can handle both Lorne & Loghain with a dual wielding melee rogue with buffs, and dropping into stealth to avoid attacks of opportunity when initiating heal if things become critical, I imagine that for archers and indeed bards such tanks would be neigh-on-impossible.
    BillyYank said:

cough*Belhifet*cough

Been too long from my last Icewind Dale play-through - right? - for me to remember this one... Maybe indicates it would be high time to have at it again, eh.

Or, reverse, when bosses have an obscenely high damage output of specific type - say for example nature damage aura - so that one has to gear up specifically for the fight the specific damage in mind. I somewhat dislike this kind of "equipment cold-war arms race" - it seems sort of petty or micro-managerial, somehow.

In case of BG2 though, I've never really managed to kill dragons with a melee emphasis, and the various chain-contingencies of mage-bosses also meant that having spell-casters to counter that is pretty much mandatory. I also spam insect plague a lot! :-p I sort of missed a tanky boss in Sarevok style...

Archers are actually also a terrible stand-alone class, in my hands at least, and monks I've never really been able to use very well either. I only once allowed Khelgar to finish his vision quest, for example.
    Halfwise said:

Deus Ex is a First Person Shooter with stealth and RPG elements.

When I say "Bane-type", I just mean a particular mob or monster in which a class is normally ineffectual against. .

Ok, gotcha, and thanks for expounding, Halfwise!

I am in truth always quite interested in views of fans of other genres, as I obviously lack in own knowledge.

For example, I'd never have given Mass Effect a go just because it's loved by almost every critic, as it is intrinsically a hard immersion for me - but the obvious and great love for the title from fellow-gamers tipped me eventually. And coincidentally I am rather poor at the FPS-business, even if became a ME fan!

One fight in that series were I was almost ready to give up was a late-game reaper fight where one is on foot on a ledge, with a tremendously slooooow aiming gun, and a single hit pretty much snuffs you. So essentially you have to spam evasion and run around like headless chicken to find that small respite where you eventually ready your gun, and get your bloody timing right. I thank generous youtube gameplay-video makers and tactics tips for getting me through that one...

Bane-types, yes. My view somewhat is that the difficulty scaling should be generous, meaning that if your party, character or equipment build is somewhat "off" dropping difficulty to easy should let out of an impasse.

Or if a fight becomes a grind, and you just don't want to spend that much time going through the motions. Some fights are not even that impossible, but just become repetitive and boring because there is pretty much only a single workable tactic... Would this be the "extract brain" attack of beholders in HotU, maybe? :smile:

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    TStael said:

BillyYank said:

cough*Belhifet*cough

Been too long from my last Icewind Dale play-through - right? - for me to remember this one... Maybe indicates it would be high time to have at it again, eh.
    Oh yes. Ice wind dale. He meant Ice wind dale's end boss. Okayish end fight. Belhifet sure has some immunities in addition to regular devil perks. As the big bad of the game, he is entitled to.
    Actually his children (and their allies) in the iwd2 last battle are far, far more terrible IMHO. But that is nowhere here or there.

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I played HotU few years ago and I don't recall having problem with Valsharessa duel as a thief - I remember abusing mechanics of restraining from attack by clicking that little icon in upper left corner, and when my character went into "relaxed mode" I'd stealth.
    I even managed to buy something from genie with that method :D.
    But seriously, thieves, along with archers are meant to be support classes, so it's a pity that your character can't say (like before duel with that elite crusader): "duel? Sure, but I'm rather pick-this-lock-and-backstab-guy... but Dorn here is more than happy to behead you". As for "impossible duels" - I can't see how anyone beside warrior and mage with wand of holding person would be able to kill werewolf on Balduran's ship.
    Artona said:

I played HotU few years ago and I don't recall having problem with Valsharessa duel as a thief

Wut, gääh, a case of "your rogue is so much more bad-ass than mine" envy here! :-p

Not seriously of course, and good on u- I'd not wish the frustration of having to abandon a game on anyone. My first try probably would not have been winnable even with more optimal tactics, as my will and fortitude were under ten, so I default failed pretty much every save.

Admittedly, on my second go, I only stealthed when I badly needed healing or wanted to sneak out of an area effect - come think of it, heck, I was way too honest a fighter there! However, I am always conditioned to a rather streamlined use of items and such, because unfortunately NWN has horribly clunky radial-menu and inventory system (IMO). But I'll keep your tricks in mind for an eventual replay, rest assured!

And that werewolf - so true! I probably have once reloaded and skipped that island, because even with a full party it is one nasty vastly regenerating piece of work, that beast! However, a hasted and buffed dual-wielder equipped with Kondar and that dagger one finds on the island proved a rather satisfactory retribution, even for a thief. :smile:

So, an option for a champion gets my vote, indeed.

BTW - I am one of those whom rate DA2 exceedingly high, I love it the best out of the series.

That is one game where I think a melee rogue is possibly one of the best classes, and thoroughly enjoyable for sure - high level assassin/shadow is a superb combo; tactically versatile with satisfyingly murderous damage output. The trick of that game though is that special abilities do not miss, even if I think the main bosses have damage reduction, or just insane HP count.

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Dunno, I steamrollwtfbbqd Valsharess to smithereens. You must have had quite a shitty build to not be able to beat her.
    Wut, gääh, a case of "your rogue is so much more bad-ass than mine" envy here! :-p
    I didn't mean to make it sound "haha, your thief sucks, git gud!" or anything ;). I remember I did die few times, but I don't remember it as a super-hard fight. But maybe it's me, because for me hardest fight in Dark Souls was... Nito, and many players consider him to be one of those easier bosses :).

As for the Karoug - yeah, that could work, but this guy is even a challenge of party of six people, I think. Pity that Kondar is bastard sword and those are rare in BG and I usually put points in other weapons.
    BTW - I am one of those whom rate DA2 exceedingly high, I love it the best out of the series.
    I agree completely and I also love playing rogue Hawke :D. It's soo pleasant to jump around, throw bombs, go stealth and backstab. <3
    iKrivetko said:

Dunno, I steamrollwtfbbqd Valsharess to smithereens. You must have had quite a shitty build to not be able to beat her.

I'd prefer to say ... misguided. One of those Aveline trying to court moments of DA2 here: "I have clearly gone about this the wrong way. I can still fix this. I need three sheaves of wheat and a goat. You will take them to his mother." :smile:

Steamrolling Valsharess with a thief meanwhile, good on u then.
    Artona said:

I agree completely and I also love playing rogue Hawke :D. It's soo pleasant to jump around, throw bombs, go stealth and backstab. <3</p>
    Rest assured, I know - I was just being playful. I anyway do not view that gaming has any other "objective" quality than joy of immersion. So if I enjoy a particular fight on hard, and someone enjoys it on easy, or vice versa, it is perfectly equitable to me.

Seems i have to agree with u on pretty much everything, except that I clearly suffered more at hands of Valsharess! :smile: True about bastard swords in BG, as rogue I generally consider long swords to be best skill point investment.

Dark Souls - I only know of this game that it is reputed to be really, really difficult. Right? I am curious: how much of an RPG is it, per your view?

And: gotta love back your Hawke love Artona!!! <3

I think he/she is really the best Dragon Age player character ever, or with nameless hero of PS:T of all time (IMO). And Shepard, of course. Mainly i think because the brilliant gaming innovation of allowing the player to define Hawke's personality through the dialogue wheel.

I was soooo frustrated when for Inquisition they rather went for the "American dead-pan voice" that I take was intended either for dwarf of qunari, with very little intrinsic personality for our dear inki. To me, adding superficial choices over depth of narrative is not a good trade off. But fair enough of course to provide fan services to those others to whom race selection is very important in character creation.

Curiously, DA2 is also the only game where I consistently choose to play male lead hero.

I was originally just curious to see how voices compared, but Nicholas Boulton's performance as Male Hawke is pure perfection! He can bring warmth, playfulness and aggression to those lines just superbly. I so wish we'd get another chance to play as him / her.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Frankly, if you had trouble with Valsharess, I'm surprised the Dracolich wasn't a brick wall for you. Good on you for beating her in the end though.

Personally, I always play Magic Users in NWN and BG though, so it's very rare that I find a simply unbeatable boss. I might have to experiment a bit in my spell load out, but unless the boss has been specifically designed to counter magic, it's rarely that much a problem overall.
    Actually, come think of it, I would have had a certain handicap on my party build. Myself being thief/shadowdancer/bard (the latter, as mentioned to improve my saving throws) I still wanted to take Deekin along because I think he is a fun character, but as a bard not exactly a front line fighter.

However, cheesy or not, I actually managed Dracolich by alternating which side of that "hidden door" I was - when the damage was becoming too severe, I'd hop over to the other side for healing, as the dracolich would take a while to chase after me. That is how I manged to take it down even if that was bit of a process.

It's quite interesting how I seem to be about the only one whom is a bit traumatized by Valsharess - but that is richness of gaming, surely!

I myself tend never to play as mage, Planescape Torment is the only game and that is only because there is bit of a balancing problem in terms of Wisdom and Intelligence being such domineering attributes.
    edited May 2016
    >bard ... to improve my saving throws

Not a very wise decision. A monk would have been better as they get unarmed BAB with kamas (meaning every consecutive attack comes at -3 as opposed to -5), extra AC and they actually have high progression in all saving throws.

>bard … not exactly a front line fighter

Quite the opposite, Bards are super strong front liners when levelled up and played properly, especially Bard/RDDs. Curse Song in particular is just ridiculously powerful.
    With better UI I might agree - in fact, dual-wielding bard (skald, was it) is my second favorite class in BG series, play that on occasion.

I appreciate monks are powerful and probably very satisfying for those whom can bring the best out of them, but just never perso really liked the class that much... High dexterity of rogue is obviously very synergetic with the unarmored classes. I am a secularist in real life too, lol.

However, from my perspective the cumbersomeness of the radial menu in HotU and lack of individual "click on character and manage directly" does not make it workable with Deekin in an enjoyable manner, and unfortunately the party AI is a bit poor.

For example, when our draco-undead attacks Deekin, if I want him out of the harms way, I pretty much need to issue "follow me" and saunter away. Keeping Deekin alive in that fight is more trouble than it's worth in my view, even if surely possible if I was more assiduous about it. Only, it does not really enhance game-play for me...

I am very glad of the UI improvements for BG series and NWN2!!
    The thing about bards it that you don't need to keep them out of harm's way. One can easily have 60+ AC which is as good as untouchable for virtually any opponent, especially with Displacement up. One of my playthroughs was with a Bard/BG/RDD, I just had to click Divine Might, Displacement, Song, Curse Song, occasionally Divine Shield and then you can just send this grinder into any general direction and things died.
    Dark Souls - I only know of this game that it is reputed to be really, really difficult. Right? I am curious: how much of an RPG is it, per your view?
    Honestly, I'd rather describe it as "action-rpg". There is lore in there, many things are rather suggested, than said straight, and setting - in my opinion - has many subtleties and secrets, but still you don't even talk, just receive talks from npcs like in Diablo 2. And it is pretty difficult, but after learning the drill it becomes much easier. It's actually pretty similar to Baldur's Gate - when you approach dragon for the first time it can seem unbeatable, but after 3rd playthrough it poses no threat.
    So, yeah, that's how I see it.

I was originally just curious to see how voices compared, but Nicholas Boulton's performance as Male Hawke is pure perfection! He can bring warmth, playfulness and aggression to those lines just superbly. I so wish we'd get another chance to play as him / her.
    No argument here ;).
  • FreyaFreya Member Posts: 28
    Valsharess I always thought was sort of challenging but not super hard, it could definitely depend on your class though.
    @iKrivetko I fear Deekin is gonna cry after hearing this! :-p
    @Artona Not even ...Demogorgon?

That's only mid-boss fight in ToB I've not been able to beat on hard thus far, I find that one particularly painful! I don't play the expansion that often, admittedly, but I do try at least two, three times every time I get to it. Got pretty close last time, so progress, yea!

And thx for take on Dark Souls. :smile:
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    At one point I tried to solo Planescape Torment as a mage, and Ravel ended up being a huge pain. I pretty much completely ran out of spells during the fight, and if you die during that fight you can't rest when you respawn, so I was forced to beat Ravel by stabbing her. Not to mention, she's surpisingly good at attacking (she might not be anything special compared to a fighter, but compared to a mage she's quite tough). I summoned multiple constructs using a Rod of Modron Might, but Ravel managed to beat them all. And then she fully healed herself. That battle was annoying.

The final boss of Planescape Torment also ended up being a pain on that playthrough.
    The Transcendent One has high Magic Resistance and hundreds of health. It's almost as bad as fighting Belhifet with a solo mage. The only way I could win was by spamming Symbol of Torment, since I wasn't able to kill him otherwise, even with my arsenal of high-level spells like Celestial Host and Mechanus's Cannon.