Skip to content

Who should sit upon the Iron Throne?? (Game of Thrones)

124»

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Why yes, it's that time again.

Time for a NEW SEASON!

(Yeah, I know Game of Thrones is no Galavant. But still relevant! :smiley: )

And also time for the obligatory necromancy of the Game of Thrones thread.

Let the heads roll!

brusJuliusBorisovGozetaBelgarathMTH
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2016
    It's not my thing, but I'm pretty sure no one in that world should be allowed to make a decision above brushing their teeth. >.>

:D

Heretics must be purged by fire!

In fealty to the God-Emperor and by the grace of the Golden Throne, I declare Exterminatus.

Now, you might say that's not relevant but since I've had several dreams cleaning that place up at the head of a legion of Astartes I think it is very relevant :)
    Gozeta
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    The White Walkers.
    GenderNihilismGirdleGozeta
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hot Pie
    killerrabbitGozeta
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited April 2016
    For someone who read the books
    Which book covers this season?

When will G.R.R.M. release next book?
    Gozeta
    brus said:

For someone who read the books
    Which book covers this season?

When will G.R.R.M. release next book?

They are officially off the books. D: I think he had to tell them how it ended, too...

I think his newest novel comes out next year.
    brusJuliusBorisovGozeta
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    Jon Targaryen
    MoradinGozeta
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    From what he writes in that post, it seems plausible that Winds of Winter will be published by the end of 2016. In any case, already in the premiere last Sunday they showed some pretty big stuff that was not covered in the books. It was a pretty good episode.
    JuliusBorisovDiomedes33GozetaGenderNihilismGirdle
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    The show is a different beast than the books for sure.

In episode 1 of the sixth season a couple of major threads in Dorn from the books were just ended to presumably streamline their role in any future events.

For example, Areo Hotah (the captain of the guard) who had a POV chapter in A Feast For Crows and Prince Doran Martell were just ended out of the blue in the first episode. Both guys are still alive and lingering around in the books presumably they will do something someday. At the time A Feast For Crows was written I was wondering why they were introducing all these characters from this place and the show just put an unceremonious end to them leaving only the Sand Snakes.

Also Stannis is still alive in the books and he is gearing up to fight with the Boltons. It sounds like from the preview Chapters from Winds of Winter that Martin has read aloud to audiences that Stannis has a good plan in place at least and hopefully his death isn't imminent but maybe it is.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Gozeta
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please, try to use spoilers for the 6th season. Not everyone has already wathed it.
    smeagolheartGozeta
    Cleganebowl 2016
    MoradinGozeta
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    The People of Westeros should sit upon the Iron Throne (metaphorically, they should literally melt it down and turn it into practical, useful tools).

NO OLD GODS, NO NEW GODS, NO FIRE, NO ICE, NO MASTERS

REVOLUTION ACROSS WESTEROS, REVOLUTION ACROSS ESSOS, REVOLUTION ACROSS SOTHORYOS, REVOLUTION ACROSS ULTHOS!
    killerrabbitlolienGozeta

The People of Westeros should sit upon the Iron Throne (metaphorically, they should literally melt it down and turn it into practical, useful tools).

NO OLD GODS, NO NEW GODS, NO FIRE, NO ICE, NO MASTERS

REVOLUTION ACROSS WESTEROS, REVOLUTION ACROSS ESSOS, REVOLUTION ACROSS SOTHORYOS, REVOLUTION ACROSS ULTHOS!

Would that it twere so simple
    Gozeta
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

Hot Pie

That is a pretty good guess. If we start by recognizing that Hot Pie isn't much of baker:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/71374-is-hot-pie-overrated-as-a-baker/&page=1

In Arya's POV chapter, she reflects that Hot Pie doesn't do anything well except bake and sing.

I say, however, that fans have made far too much of Hot Pie's baking prowess. First of all, as a street urchin in King's Landing, we know that his mother made the pies and he sold them in the streets, yelling "Hot Pie! Hot Pie!" wherever he went. More pieman than baker, really. He might have watched his mother make pies and helped her from time to time, but I don't think he had enough experience or time with his mother to truly learn the secrets of pie baking.

Second of all I think our appreciation of Hot Pie is somewhat exaggerated by the fact that there are very few competent bakers appearing as characters in ASOIAF. If there were POV chapters about the master cooks of Illyrio's manse in Pentos, or about the artists in the Red Keep's kitchens who made pie full of doves, do you think Hot Pie's wares would even be a blip on our radar? No, ser. While we're on the subject, you may note that one of Joffrey's last utterances was that the pigeon pie he ate was rather "dry," but do not be fooled by this. He was at that point suffering from the effets of the "Strangler" potion, and every other indication we have is that the pies of the Red Keep's kitchen were delectably moist.

Back to the subject at hand, we also see Hot Pie making tarts and cakes in the kitchens of Harrenhal but he is essentially a baker's helper, one of many servants who work in the kitchens. It is the master baker's recipes that he uses, not his own. It's not as if he is running the kitchens himself. Also, note how Amory Lorch or Roose Bolton don't make any comment about the quality and deliciousness of the bread coming out of the kitchens; this shows us that Hot Pie's work, even under the instruction of a master cook, was middling at best.

Finally, Hot Pie informs the innkeeper at the Kneeling Man inn that his breads are tough and unpalatable and that he knows how bake much better bread. This may be true, but keep in mind that this scene takes place in the war-ravaged countryside where baking ingredients such as flour and leavening are scarce and those that can be found are of appallingly low quality. Also, the innkeeper was never trained as a baker, so of course his bread is subpar. While there is no doubt that Hot Pie is knows his way around the oven, almost anyone's baking would be better than the inedible loaves being baked when Hot Pie arrived.

In conclusion, we must be wary lest our emotions and sentimentality--Hot Pie is, after all, an amusing and memorable character---cloud our judgement of GRRM's depiction of his characters' baking abilities. A close, impartial reading of the text reveals in no uncertain terms, to the dismay and chagrin of Hot Pie's fanboys everywhere, that our fat young friend's wares are not the pies that were promised.

A theory that is supported not just by a careful reading of the text but the by the television show. Hot pie produces some brown bread putatively shaped like a wolf but no one recognizes the bread as such until he tells us what it is:

A master baker would be able to produce bread both delicious and properly formed. Hot pie tells us of his culinary skills but no character backs him up. Never do we see him cooking by himself, never does an independent culinary authority attest to his skill. Arya tells us he has no other skills at all but she is missing something -- he has a talent for showing up wherever the power players of the kingdoms do.

Think about it -- a simple cook is hanging out with an heir to winterfell, serving the brothers without banners, rubbing elbows with the squire to Tyrion Lannister. How could this be? The answer is simple -- Hot Pie is biding his time and when the time is right he will poison the cherries at the feast of whoever wins the throne and take that iron seat for himself. Ask yourself -- why does hot pie think about cherries as much as he does? Why does GRMM spend so much telling us about the qualities of 'strangler'? The answer? It's foreshadowing for the 'choke cherry' pie that will decide the contest for the throne.

Yes. Hot pie will be the lord of Andals and the first men etc & etc.
    I'm loving the new season 6. Seems like they are really streamlining plots by eliminating characters that are still meandering in the books. I think there is no way it will exactly match future books but it is cool seeing these characters continue their TV journeys.
    MoradinGozetaNonnahswriter
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    @smeagolheart I'm of the exact opposite opinion, I'm loving the show but I think they may be killing off too many important people far too quickly.

I feel like leaving out Arianne Martell and killing off Doran Martell was a huge mistake. Then they go and give Hodor a subplot, freaking Hodor.

Well at least Euron finally rocked and that means the kingsmoot is gonna happen and that means Victarion is gonna show up, so at least we have have the best of the Ironborn to look forward to.

Anybody else really wanted to see Tormund cleave that little traitor crow in twain last ep? I actually shouted at my screen "KILL THE LITTLE BASTARD!!!". Don't think I've wanted to see somebody dead in GoT so much since Catelyn Stark.
    Gozeta
    Darkstar
    SmilingSwordGozeta

Darkstar

Yup having those purple eyes is qualification enough.

Really though what has be done besides be handsome and cut off a little girl's ear?
    Gozeta
    He is of the night and of my heart.
    SmilingSwordGozeta
    If there is a Hell I'm going to it for laughing at this

Gozeta
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō would fit the bill perfectly. ^.-
    edited May 2016
    I really wished Viserion and Rhaegal breathed a face full of fire on Tyrion so we could get the reveal that he has blood of the dragon.
    Gozetasparkleav
    edited May 2016

@smeagolheart I'm of the exact opposite opinion, I'm loving the show but I think they may be killing off too many important people far too quickly.

@SmilingSword I think they are doing that so that they can streamline storylines. They want to move things along in ways that George doesn't have to.

So whenever we next get to Dorn, instead of

Prince Doran, Arianne and whoever having to be included in the plot, they just streamline to "Elaria Sand's in charge" and we can focus on her instead of having all these extra actors to account for.

Same deal in Winterfell. Instead of having both Roose and Ramsey running around in the North, we only have one to deal with. If there were two Boltons then say Ramsey attacks the wall and gets killed, you still would have to track down and deal with Roose at some point etc etc.

So what they are doing is streamlining... North problem? Yeah deal with Ramsey instead of Ramsey and Roose.

Instead of a cast of thousands, which has proven really difficult for George himself to manage, they are cutting characters down to a cast of hundreds.

I think Arya needs to train more. At least 3 more seasons.
    MoradinGozeta

If there is a Hell I'm going to it for laughing at this

MoradinSmilingSword