Skip to content

Did Gorion's ward got such a huge amount of divine essence because......

Of the bridge where he might have taken the entire divine there? Because of that he is the only one who can become a slayer well among 2 the one who teleports also got a lot. But is this the reason Gorion's ward got so much divine power?
GozetaMoradin

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It may be an interesting theory, but pc begins gaining bhaal powers in bg1, before the (brilliant) bridge scene. To me pc has always been special, even amongst bhaalspawns. His adventures, experience and Irenicus's experiments further strengthened this.
    Gozetamf2112MoradinAerakar
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    That is a great theory. I hope in the future game releases that would be explained.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    I always figured it was because other Bhaalspawn got killed off. The essence seeps out of them, as you see happening to the PC if he dies. I figured that essence just spreads about to the remaining ones. A bit like the Highlander movies. There can be only one.
    VirelaiSkatanDJKajurubrunardo
  • adormituladormitul Member Posts: 63
    Pretty sure it goes in Bhaal plane as it was shown in BG2.
    DaevelonArtonaMERLANCE
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Ahh yes. That is true. The essence basically goes into The Throne of Bhaal. Your "Bhaalspawn XP" manifests itself through those special abilities you gain during the game. The odd cure light wound spell you get, and so on. The rest is just the character gaining regular power through gaining levels and whatnot in his class. There isn't anything "special" apart from that, I think.
    Artona
    Yeah but then why did the teleporting dude got so much?
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Viekang might be a murderous bhaalspawn as well. His affliction may be caused by guilt. Not much else is known about him so why not.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like Calemyr's theory. Especially as by the end of BG1 Charname has a bigger kill count than achillies.
    mf2112
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Well, the more you kill, the more levels you gain, whether bhaalspawn or not. This is the rule of D&D. Adventurers are not called 'murder hobos' for nothing.
    Rawgrimmf2112DragonspearMERLANCE
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    IIRC you can read up on bhaal and the bhaalspawn and apparently they can all eventually change into the slayer or the ravager. Both being avatars of bhaal. Just says its rare but I like the idea posted above that you murdering/killing so many people ( before bg2/when you get slayer) your pretty unique in terms of headcounts. That and sarevok simultaneously killing off other bhaalspawn adding their essence to the remaining bhaalspawn and -renicus trying to tap into it. Too bad we cant use the other avatar muahahah.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I also like Calemyrs theory but something other than that came to mind for me (SoD spoilers inside):

The blind priestess in the Temple of Bhaal, hidden away in the forest of Wyrms hints at the fact that they "created" Bhaalspawn for the sake of succession. It's very much possible, although impossible to confirm, that you were one of them, since the forbidden love with a Harper Agent was also mentioned. Maybe some sort of ritual was involved with the spawns that sprouted in that particular location? Rituals do seem to hold power in the forgotten realms, at least the Avenger class is proof of that. (maybe I can see the starting point for an interesting head-canon for justifying my Avenger PC that grew up on Candlekeep, here)

Anyway, I don't know how much of this was just ret-coned to justify some of the differences in Gorions story between BG I and BG II, but it might have been part of the story all along, since Beamdog clearly got access to the information of what was supposed to happen in-between the games (as far as that was discerned, at least). I still like it as a possibility, though.
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    In Throne of Bhaal we learned that our mother was one of the High Priestess of Bhaal. I think it's because of that, because she killed a lot of people and her soul was tainted abd when she became pregnant... well let just say that we inherited a party of that.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    edited May 2016

I also like Calemyrs theory but something other than that came to mind for me (SoD spoilers inside):

The blind priestess in the Temple of Bhaal, hidden away in the forest of Wyrms hints at the fact that they "created" Bhaalspawn for the sake of succession. It's very much possible, although impossible to confirm, that you were one of them, since the forbidden love with a Harper Agent was also mentioned. Maybe some sort of ritual was involved with the spawns that sprouted in that particular location? Rituals do seem to hold power in the forgotten realms, at least the Avenger class is proof of that. (maybe I can see the starting point for an interesting head-canon for justifying my Avenger PC that grew up on Candlekeep, here)

Anyway, I don't know how much of this was just ret-coned to justify some of the differences in Gorions story between BG I and BG II, but it might have been part of the story all along, since Beamdog clearly got access to the information of what was supposed to happen in-between the games (as far as that was discerned, at least). I still like it as a possibility, though.
    A lot of Bhaalspawn were intentional - you, Imoen, and Sarevok were all born in the Forest of Wyrms, to priestesses and worshippers of Bhaal. Your mother was a piece of work who played Gorion for information on the Harpers. In ToB, the Solar summons the ghost of your mother to explain her part in your story, and she says she was a Bhaal worshipper who wanted to be part of his pre-arranged resurrection. The Harpers broke in and ruined the sacrifice, stealing you and Imoen and leaving Sarevok (among others) to fend for himself. Because of his relationship with your mother, Gorion chose to keep you as his ward in spite of concerns about your parentage. Candlekeep was meant to keep you isolated from influences that could screw you up. That's your origins in a nutshell. Everything from the Forest of Wyrms fits in nicely with ToB's version of the story, and also brings in Gorion's note from BG1, something that most dismissed as a lie or a retcon at the time. Now we have a narrative that I think works in that regard.

I would readily believe Bhaal's mistresses had several backup plans in mind. Plan A: bring back their baby-daddy by killing their kids. Plan B: turn the high priestess into a goddess in her own right. Plan C: if things go wrong, one of the kids will inherit the role. Gorion screwed up plans A and B, and the Scion put Plan B completely to bed. That leaves the competition for Plan C: Sarevok's fratricide spree and attempt to instigate a bloody and needless war, the Scion's "heroism", and the Six's "kill everyone else then sort it out between ourselves" scheme.

In a way, the Bhaalspawn saga reminds me a lot of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (what a title). KotOR2 portrayed experience in a very unusual way. Mechanically it was exactly what you'd expect, but narratively it was described as growing stronger by overcoming obstacles, and that adventuring wasn't as beneficial as you'd expect because what you're really doing is stealing other peoples' opportunities to grow in order to advance yourself instead. Baldur's Gate, similarly, uses the same mechanics you'd expect from a D&D style game, but twists it with your divine heritage, so that even your most heroic Scion is a mass murderer on an epic scale.
    KhalDrogoAerakar
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I perso always thought the Slayer-form having been result from Irenicus' manipulations, where his evil amplified the darkness of player characters heritage.

But let's face it: Bhaal must have been first-rate shapeshifter for having been able to copulate with anything in-between humans and dragons! :-p Maybe a lucky roll of paternal heritage?
    Montresor_SPKrotos
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    TStael said:

I perso always thought the Slayer-form having been result from Irenicus' manipulations, where his evil amplified the darkness of player characters heritage.

But let's face it: Bhaal must have been first-rate shapeshifter for having been able to copulate with anything in-between humans and dragons! :-p Maybe a lucky roll of paternal heritage?

He was a god. Gods can choose whatever form they like, even when forced to walk on Toril.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Or you know, it's not how huge it is, it's how you use it.
    ...Bhaal's essence, obviously.
    GrumKrotosSpaceInvader
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

He was a god. Gods can choose whatever form they like, even when forced to walk on Toril.

That's fine - but those mental images, lol.
    Archaos said:

Or you know, it's not how huge it is, it's how you use it.
    ...Bhaal's essence, obviously.

TStael said:

That's fine - but those mental images, lol.

:D:p

Hahahaha
    The worst would be the God of Murder bedding a Aasimar. Evil Bedding Good, or Good Bedding Evil we don't know xD
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    KhalDrogo said:

The worst would be the God of Murder bedding a Aasimar. Evil Bedding Good, or Good Bedding Evil we don't know xD

I came up with the idea a while ago of The Five being led by a Cambion Bhaalspawn, which would be the inverse of that, I guess. Evil Bedding Even More Evil.

KhalDrogo said:

While Aasimar are inclined to be good, they're not always good.

Anyway, I think evil bedding good would be...KINKY!

Artona
    @rapsam2003

Agreed, it's soooooooo Kinky. That's why we love the idea xD

When I first play SoD I though Caelar was a Bhaalspawn with her Divine legacy, would be awesome to have a Aasimar as a new race for the Bhaalspawn.
    That would probably make charname an actual god wouldn't it? Or pretty damn close at that point.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I simply believe that Gorion's Ward was destined to ascend among all other Bhaalspawn since the Baldur's Gate series story revolves around charname either embracing his/her destiny or making his/her own destiny. It wouldn't be much of a destiny if charname was not unique compared to other Bhaalspawn.
    Aethernaut
    @rapsam2003 thanks for the links :D
    rapsam2003

marzbarz said:

That would probably make charname an actual god wouldn't it? Or pretty damn close at that point.

Well, no. That's not how gods work in D&D. Power acquired is one thing. But, in order to become a god, one needs worshipers. There's even 4 levels of gods, which is based on how many followers a god has. As it is said about the planes, "The planes are about belief!".
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deity
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Exarch
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Demigod
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lesser_deity
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Intermediate_deity
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_deity
    But can you become as strong as a god without being one if not stronger? Not as a primordial or a elder devil but as mortal be it a very long lived one like a elf or a dragon but mortal.
    adormitul said:

But can you become as strong as a god without being one if not stronger? Not as a primordial or a elder devil but as mortal be it a very long lived one like a elf or a dragon but mortal.

In theory. However, you wouldn't be able to grant divine spells or bless/curse worshipers or do any of the things gods do.

Artona
    I wonder if when a Bhaalspawn kill another if the first don't absorbed some essence and power for the second.