Skip to content

What's your opinion on social justice warfare in games?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited May 2016
    @Mathsorcerer Thanks, but that's completely beside the point. I was saying @joluv is again getting hung up on semantics instead of understanding the content of my post. Whether "I hate gays" is belief or opinion is secondary. Although by your definition it is a belief. Well I guess it could be either.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Thanks for the straw men, I was fresh out.
    Quote that supposed "straw man" (but since you're thinking of straw man while talking principles, I doubt that you even know what that is).
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Artona said:

Thanks for the straw men, I was fresh out.
    Quote that supposed "straw man" (but since you're thinking of straw man while talking principles, I doubt that you even know what that is).

I never mentioned cannibalism. You did. So take that straw man and keep it somewhere safe, ok?
    I never mentioned cannibalism. You did. So take that straw man and keep it somewhere safe, ok?
    Let me help you:
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/example

I hope that'll keep you from being confused. Ok?
    Artona said:

Let me help you:
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/example

I hope that'll keep you from being confused. Ok?

Keep working on that personal development.
    @mf2112 - let me know after, you know, you actually find any counterargument. I believe in you. :*
    Artona said:

@mf2112 - let me know after, you know, you actually find any counterargument. I believe in you. :*

I see that personal development is going well for you. Keep working on it, I am sure that one day you will make progress.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @FinneousPJ Although I am routinely guilty of discussing things which may be beside the current point--and I freely admit that guilt when it occurs--I was addressing the broader issue of how we view each other as merely incorrect versus "wrong". People on both sides of the "social justice" debate have moved beyond the "you are incorrect" phase and have gone to the "you are wrong" phase, at which point polite conversation becomes nigh-impossible. (Incidentally, there is no such thing as "social justice", only "justice"--either all people are treated equitably or they are not...but we'll pick that up on another day.)

People need to quit speaking *at* each other and get back to speaking *with* each other.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70

@FinneousPJ Although I am routinely guilty of discussing things which may be beside the current point--and I freely admit that guilt when it occurs--I was addressing the broader issue of how we view each other as merely incorrect versus "wrong". People on both sides of the "social justice" debate have moved beyond the "you are incorrect" phase and have gone to the "you are wrong" phase, at which point polite conversation becomes nigh-impossible. (Incidentally, there is no such thing as "social justice", only "justice"--either all people are treated equitably or they are not...but we'll pick that up on another day.)

People need to quit speaking *at* each other and get back to speaking *with* each other.

I've seen far more SJWs spouting "you are wrong" than others. Not that my personal anecdote means anything, but from what I've noticed the "tolerant" SJWS are the more intolerant ones.

Regardless, the conversations in this group have been relatively civil. Don't be afraid of debate.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited May 2016
    (Ok nevermind. I don't understand at all who is saying what because quote are totaly broken in this conversation, so i prefer not talking than answering out of the subject)
    I don't think the issue is censorship here, like some are making it out to be. "Aritsts" are free to put whatever they want into their work, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticize it.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited May 2016
    Skatan said:

Dazzu said:

"OK, so you're a woman/trans/black/other minority and you are mistreated/bullied/killed/raped/not equal to the white male, but in other countries there are people who are even WORSE mistreated so you really should be happy for what you have instead of being angry at us white males who have no idea what it's like to never be their equal."

You make it sound like white males have it so easy by default. Not sure why they must be the enemy by default. I think I might understand why you think they do, but I could be wrong.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Dazzu said:

Skatan said:

"OK, so you're a woman/trans/black/other minority and you are mistreated/bullied/killed/raped/not equal to the white male, but in other countries there are people who are even WORSE mistreated so you really should be happy for what you have instead of being angry at us white males who have no idea what it's like to never be their equal."

You make it sound like white males have it so easy by default. Not sure why they must be the enemy by default. I think I might understand why you think they do, but I could be wrong.
    Hey look! Fixed quotes!

He never said white males have it easy or are the enemy. He said those he listed are not treated equally to white males.
    BillyYank said:

Dazzu said:

Skatan said:

Hey look! Fixed quotes!

He never said white males have it easy or are the enemy. He said those he listed are not treated equally to white males.
    They're actually treated pretty equally here in America. Where are you from?
    joluv said:

BillyYank said:

Dazzu said:

Skatan said:

Hey look! Fixed quotes!

You're saying that women, trans people, and racial minorities are treated "pretty equally" to white (cis) men in America? How low is your bar for "pretty equally"?

You're able to walk freely, go to the bathroom freely in all but ONE state, shop freely, get any job and education you want freely, get married to whoever you want freely, etc. There are African American Grants and Native American And Tribal Grants for education, also government funded grants for minority business owners, etc. The list goes on. You'll find none of these grants for white people. So please, tell me more about this GREAT racial divide and how it's focused mostly on minorities.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

joluv said:

BillyYank said:

Dazzu said:

Skatan said:

Hey look! Fixed quotes!

You're saying that women, trans people, and racial minorities are treated "pretty equally" to white (cis) men in America? How low is your bar for "pretty equally"?

You're able to walk freely, go to the bathroom freely in all but ONE state, shop freely, get any job and education you want freely, get married to whoever you want freely, etc. There are African American Grants and Native American And Tribal Grants for education, also government funded grants for minority business owners, etc. The list goes on. You'll find none of these grants for white people. So please, tell me more about this GREAT racial divide and how it's focused mostly on minorities.
    OK, so your bar is quite low.

As for racial disparity, are you being remotely serious? If so, I guess you can start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_inequality_in_the_United_States
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Racism might be dying, but it's not going out quietly.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I can tell you what is causing this apparent resurgence of racism in various locales--it's the fear. It is always the fear. Citizens fear illegal immigrants and refugees from countries where the dominant religion and social norms are not our own. Poor people fear rich people. Black people fear the cops. People with mobile device cameras fear the cops. Parents fear to discipline their children because of the threat of CPS (child protective services). Democrats fear Republicans while Republicans fear Democrats. Fear, fear, fear--a bunch of frightened rabbits, huddling in the bushes in case a hawk is flying overhead.

In a small sense we did this to ourselves. We told ourselves for decades "oh, America is the Great Melting Pot" as if all people who came here somehow magically all transformed into some weird, homogeneous caricature of a person; instead, we should have been viewing ourselves as what we are--a mosaic. Yes, some of the color squares look garish if you examine them closely or they are too close together but when you step back you can see the work of art. Currently, we have focused in too closely and all we can see are the clashing colors. We need to step back and refocus.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited May 2016
    I am reminded of this:

Comment edited, don't forget about the site rules.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I can tell you what is causing this apparent resurgence of racism in various locales--it's the fear. It is always the fear. Citizens fear illegal immigrants and refugees from countries where the dominant religion and social norms are not our own. Poor people fear rich people. Black people fear the cops. People with mobile device cameras fear the cops. Parents fear to discipline their children because of the threat of CPS (child protective services). Democrats fear Republicans while Republicans fear Democrats. Fear, fear, fear--a bunch of frightened rabbits, huddling in the bushes in case a hawk is flying overhead.

I think it's just as fair to say the rich fear the poor and the cops fear the blacks and cameras as well. They have power, and those with power fear it being taken away--especially by someone "less" than them.

(I'm not disagreeing, by the way, I'm just leveling the playing field a bit.)
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Yulaw9460 said:

Hmm. I still find it somewhat misplaced in a medieval-type setting on principle. In a current day or futuristic Mass Effect-esque kind of setting I find it believeable, since it would probably be a common occurence the inhabitants wouldn't really think twice about.

It grates on the credibility to me. Yeah, in a world of dragons and magic, I know. So sue me.

Without lecturing you on your admittedly subjective preferences, can I suggest you check out this person:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_d%27Eon

(Other people who should check out this person: everyone who doesn't already know who they are)

I think that discussion above needs another thread, since it has nothing to do with games. :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    There have been severall calls in this thread to stop going off-topic. Also, I would like to remind everyone about the site rules.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    But isn't the whole thing "off topic"? Isn't the real issue a fear of women writing video games, stemming from men who fear any working woman "taking their jobs"? All this patently ridiculous transphobia is clearly just an excuse form woman-bashing.

Hence all the name-calling and bully-boy tactics. The true objective is to drive women off the internet and back to the ironing board.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Fardragon Haha that's a good one. The topic is "What's your opinion on social justice warfare in games?" As a hint for the future, you may review the topic by looking at the title or even by going to the first post ;)