Skip to content

Most hated fights

We know that many of us played this game many times. I would like to ask you: which fights you find the most unpleasant in BG2/ToB? For me the statue fights in the Watcher's Keep are always a pain (especially with SCS).

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited May 2016
    To this day I still have no clue how to fight beholders without the shield.

Amelissan is definitely not my favorite either.

Isair and Madae can also go flip themselves. Not in BG but still deserves the shout out.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Tor'Gal for sure. I never seem to be able to beat it without being grossly overleveled or cheesing it in some way (that's with maximum difficulty mods, of course). I spent about 3 hours on it in my most recent LoB run and ended up just killing him and running away from all the cronies. Too much to handle.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I hate that fight with four ghosts in the last Hexxat's quest. I mean - they're ghosts, right? Then why can't I use Daystar and how they are gulping those potions of extra healing?
    I also generaly dislike fight in that Haer'dalis quest - I always fall into those traps and never rest there, cuz I find it immersion-breaking, and at the top of that - I'm always scared that one of those mages will "steal" killing that demon from me.
    And umber hulks.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Any fight that involves drow, I don't want my mages to be useless.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Dragon, mind flayer and beholder fights get on my nerves.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2016

Spirit Trolls and Vampiric Wraiths. Stat drain and level drain are painful. Regeneration makes it worse. But enemies who can turn invisible at will are just no fun to fight. You spend half your time waiting for them to appear, and the other half re-clicking them so your characters can concentrate their pressure on a single enemy because the regeneration makes it very bad to spread your damage across multiple targets.

Also, they're immune to basically all disablers. I don't mind resistances, but immunities are boring.

True Sight is your friend.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2016
    In real life, anything with a Lich. Pretty sure I'd set a fastest death record if one crossed my path. Too bad they're kind of pushovers (comparatively) after the first playthrough, unless you avoid all forms of metagaming, which I maintain is ultimately impossible.
    In BG2 specifically? Mind Flayers, two or more, as said above.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    That first elder orb and beholder fight in the beholder dungeon in the underdark is always a pain.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

enemies who can turn invisible at will are just no fun to fight. You spend half your time waiting for them to appear, and the other half re-clicking them

Dear gods those stupid imps in WK that do nothing but spam invis... takes an hour to kill them with one hit in every 6 seconds.
    I use all my Horrid Wiltings in those two spots. I like to start with a sim to get a couple extra to make sure those little #$%^#$$@ don't make it.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Oh, I forgot about fights with cultists after killing Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower. That is always annoying.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    mf2112 said:

That first elder orb and beholder fight in the beholder dungeon in the underdark is always a pain.

The only way to keep that from becoming a real headache is to have the whole party turn invisible and run around the corner before the Orb uses True Sight, then send your designated beholder killer (the guy with the shield/the monk/the Paladin with Carsomyr) back to engage them. Anything else is really dicey.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    In general I find enemies with very binary means of defeating to be boring and a waste of time.

Beholders are a joke when using the skeleton warriors, which resist the majority of their abilities minus the stronger types that are able to destroy them. I don't even feel bad abusing this given how hideously unfair they are by design.

Iron/adamantite golems are just tediously annoying. I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone thought the way they were implemented was a good idea.

I also think that Aec'Letec is insanely frustrating for all the wrong reasons.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

In general I find enemies with very binary means of defeating to be boring and a waste of time.

If you dislike binary combat, this may not be the game for you ¬_¬ So many effects are "roll or die".
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Neera's ToB quest's final encounter with wild mage casting alacrity, time stop, then proceeds to obliterate everything. I had fun re-doing that battle. But I did it quite a few times before I was left with no casualties.
    And Mind Flayers, no min-maxing fighters, 11 Int as the bare minimum.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Planar Hunters from BP2 are quite insane with difficulty mods. Not that they are that easy without them either.

If we remain in BG2 itself... well the final encounter in Neera's and Dorn's ToB quests are both pretty hard.
  • Krog81Krog81 Member Posts: 15
    mind flyers .. they're really hard to get through even with all the buffs... and Tor Gal.. with all the cheese and buffs is always hard for me..
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited May 2016
    Yulaw9460 said:

lansounet said:

In that's what you've experienced so far, you're using the wrong Mages. :p
    Care to elaborate? Do you recommend I waste lower resistance spells on them? Or use MMM? I have no troubles with them, just my mages are relegated to throwing stuff with terrible thac0.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Anything using stoneskin+mislead+PfMW
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    lansounet said:

Yulaw9460 said:

lansounet said:

In that's what you've experienced so far, you're using the wrong Mages. :p
    Care to elaborate? Do you recommend I waste lower resistance spells on them? Or use MMM? I have no troubles with them, just my mages are relegated to throwing stuff with terrible thac0.
    Just spam summons, that's how you deal with drows as a mage.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on