Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

1141516171820»

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Is rage any good? Did this game turn good now?

I think the module was generally Wells received.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Orson or HG?
    VallmyrWandering_MinstrelFinneousPJ

Orson or HG?
    I mean ''well'' not ''wells''.
    FinneousPJthe_spyder
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    The Warlock is, given the way the game works, a nice addition, allowing for caster or gish playstyles.

However, I don't like the implementation of "trendy" warlocks and tieflings ahead of traditional races and classes. Where are the Barbarians, Druids, Bards, Gnomes and Half-Orcs?!

It suggests the SCL developers share the same disdain for DnD's heritage that the 4th edition writers did.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageAedansmeagolheart
    #HalfOrcsarepeopletoo
    Sjerrie
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Is there someone who still plays the game? I would like to test the multiplayer mode, but I cannot find a soul.
    Deleted it from my PC about three weeks ago.
    FinneousPJ
    Well, if someone still has the game installed, we could play together :)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Got a brand new computer and the game still runs like absolute trash, even on low settings. It is optimized so poorly it's really just pathetic.
    FinneousPJ
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    If you're looking for a DnD game to play together and roleplay but not the Infinity Engine games, I would strongly recommend Neverwinter Nights 2.

It's what SCL tried to be but failed in my opinion.

NwN2 just has more more more of everything and I didn't take into account all the custom stuff people on Persistent Worlds implemented.

You can be a Lich, Vampire, Celestial, Pixie etc etc on Sigil, for example.
    Various new classes on that server as well, such as Psions.

You just get the game dirt-cheap from GoG and play forever. It's pretty much maintained by the community.
    FinneousPJ
    @jjstraka34
    Strange! I have a brand new desktop computer as well and it works fine with the highest settings.
    It uses a lot of GPU memory. Your new PC probably has 4mb or more dedicated.

Fair to say, NWN2 also had lousy performance on many machines when it was released.

What we really need is for someone to convert the SCL OC to the NWN2 engine.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Fardragon You probably mean GB. It's not 1999 :D
    In the end an acquaintance of mine found the time to play with me. We had a lot of fun fighting in the dungeons and enjoyed a lot some hard battles :)
    If anyone wants to join, just post here or send me a PM.
    FinneousPJmlnevese
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148

Got a brand new computer and the game still runs like absolute trash, even on low settings. It is optimized so poorly it's really just pathetic.

Try disabling shadows, massive resource hog right there. You may also like to check out some other tips in my updated write-up, just recently posted.

My experience is that NWN2 runs flawlessly these days (60 FPS with all bells n whistles, including Shadows and tons of graphical mods). But it's important to remember that everyone's system is different (hardware and config-wise) and even ppl with high-end setups may have more problems than those with average or even non-gaming ones. There should be workarounds, though.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Yes, turning the shadows to the lowest settings possible pretty much did the trick, so I might actually give this a try someday (I never got past the outskirts of Luskan when it came out). But I stand by the stance that this game is horribly, horribly optimized, especially when compared with it's contemporaries Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2016

this game is horribly, horribly optimized

No one's gonna argue with you there...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I will however argue that neither PoE or D:OS could be labeled as "contemporary" with NwN2 by any means :P
    I beleve they where cited as contemporary with SCL, not NWN2.

SCL has an "outside Luskan" zone near the beginning.
    elminster
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the correction ;)