Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Transmuter is the best wizard choice.

Abjuration spells are overrated. I never use anything outside of an occasional breach.
    You can 'corrupt' anomen though
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    You can 'corrupt' anomen though
    Yeah, but only to CN, if I recall correctly.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I think Lower Resistance is mainly good in solo runs. I agree that it's not very good in parties. I've almost entirely stopped using it in party runs myself.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Jarrakul said:

I think Lower Resistance is mainly good in solo runs. I agree that it's not very good in parties. I've almost entirely stopped using it in party runs myself.

Even then, I'd prefer summons. Skeleton Warriors for Drow, magic swords for golems/dragons. Imprisonment for Adamantite Golems because they're just cheap with their 90% resistance to everything.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    If I had the skill to do it I'd remove both crit hits and misses entirely from my ie games.
    About not-so-useful spells:
    53. Protection from magical weapons, Mantles, Globes, and so on are useless in most cases - if you are not playing solo or warrior-mage of some combination, you'll be trying to keep your wizards out of danger anyway; so why waste slots on those spells?
    Yes something like that. My mages are never the target of foes so protection spells are not needed. Debuff is also not required, just use your other party members if you cannot get past spell defenses (or use other spells).
    Artona said:

About not-so-useful spells:
    53. Protection from magical weapons, Mantles, Globes, and so on are useless in most cases - if you are not playing solo or warrior-mage of some combination, you'll be trying to keep your wizards out of danger anyway; so why waste slots on those spells?

I think their main use is against groups of golems that have Clay Golems included among them - the hasted attacks will tear down stoneskin/mirror image too quickly, but leading with a mage is still a good idea to save your party a pounding while also hitting back with fireshield.
    I think their main use is against groups of golems that have Clay Golems included among them
    That sounds reasonable - and gotta say that I like those spells from roleplay point of view - there is something cool in them, in my opinion.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    "53. Protection from magical weapons, Mantles, Globes, and so on are useless in most cases - if you are not playing solo or warrior-mage of some combination, you'll be trying to keep your wizards out of danger anyway; so why waste slots on those spells?"

If you've got SCS installed, it's quite likely that your wizards will be targeted 90% of the time. On the other hand, it's better to cast invisibility spells and wait until the enemy is distracted instead of casting a powerful 6th level spell.
    If you've got SCS installed, it's quite likely that your wizards will be targeted 90% of the time.
    True. SCS makes game way different.
    Grum said:

The stat boosting items in BG2 are ridiculous and far too common.

Well, I'm now getting flashbacks to this Pathfinder campaign I played a while back, where the moment I hit level seven, the party was suddenly sporting +4 stat boosters for Int or Str, depending on who they were. Again, level seven, so late BG1 by our standards.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I wish the Blackguard was named Antipaladin instead if only to give some familiarity with the Githyanki example we see in vanilla.

I also wish the Blackguard had another ability that wasn't poison weapon...What kind of ability I don't know. But I've always had problem with the implementation of the Blackguard in the NwN games as well. Sneak attack, poison weapon and a few other minor useless abilities. It always felt like a really half-assed attempt at an unholy warrior.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well, the NwN and the BG version are based on the 3e class of the same name.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/blackguard.htm

I believe it's generally received as a weaker class unless you dip a few levels in a blackbard build.

I much prefer Pathfinder's attempt at it with their anti-paladin.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/antipaladin

I believe I'm allowed to link d20srd stuffs.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Vallmyr said:

I believe I'm allowed to link d20srd stuffs.

Why wouldn't you be
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    Shapeshifter Druid is stupendously powerful if played correctly.
  • metalmunkimetalmunki Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2016
    Peeve 1

I hate the multi/dual classing for the companions being so common, BG2 being the biggest offender.

One or two - fine. Nearly of them? No, just no. There's a kit system that's more than adequate without the homogeneity that MC/DC brings. Kit classes bring individuality and experimentation to party make up where I can see Pure classes may not have have seemed numerous enough. I can only assume MC/DC was used so much to nerf XP gain for companions in some way.

BG1 is a little more forgiven because the kit system wasn't in the original. BG2, BG2:EE and BG:EE? At risk of stepping on some toes, I think Beamdog should've reclassed, re-equipped (with some unique items) and re-statted nearly all the companions, and sod the purists!

Peeve 2

I hate being rail-roaded into quests and romances. BG2 naturally, is terrible for this. It's great that there's all this content, and I get that it's 99% optional, but it hardly ever feels optional. I don't want to go into a new zone and have 8 urgent matters thrown at me. Let me look around a bit first; hit a tavern, sell the loot weighing me down. For Athkatla, it's stepping over a line from what should feel like a busy city to one which can't possibly cope without you.

And how about a way to turn down companion offers to join or be romanced without being made to look a total dick? I've got a world to save, your psychodrama is not my concern! How are you a successful adventurer? You sound like a teenager! Gaaah!

To be fair, I don't think any EE NPCs are multi/dual classed, and they use a lot of kits, so it seems like Beamdog has been listening to that complaint.

Yeah, but...that's the new characters. I know BeamDog wanted to make their mark, but BG games have plenty of companion choices already, they just needed fixing/improving/overhauling. I'm much interested in seeing Safana built as an Assassin, Montaron as a Wizard Slayer etc etc.

Yeah, but...that's the new characters. I know BeamDog wanted to make their mark, but BG games have plenty of companion choices already, they just needed fixing/improving/overhauling. I'm much interested in seeing Safana built as an Assassin, Montaron as a Wizard Slayer etc etc.

I'm not sure they were allowed to, there's all these restrictions on changing things about the original games, and I can't pretend to understand them all. Just for one, I know that's why the new love interests aren't Bodhi-napped, they weren't allowed to be.

I'm sure you're right, it's just a shame.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

To be fair, I don't think any EE NPCs are multi/dual classed, and they use a lot of kits, so it seems like Beamdog has been listening to that complaint.

Unless you said that just to prpvides an example, I must say that so far safana doesn't "assassinate" targets and montaron isn't specialized in slaying wizards to follow those kits effectivelly.
    DJKajuru said:

Unless you said that just to prpvides an example, I must say that so far safana doesn't "assassinate" targets and montaron isn't specialized in slaying wizards to follow those kits effectivelly.

For that matter, I'd argue that either of those specific changes would make those characters less viable in BG1. Poison weapon wouldn't make up for the loss of thief points at that low a level, and wizard slayers really aren't worth it in BG1.