Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

The same thing happens to charname.

As a matter of fact, charname dies a thousand time more than Irenicus, and still somehow comes back. Irenicus only *dies* twice. Even no reload runs have their share of close calls the are unfair from the enemy's point of view.

Only good rogue-likes accomplish perfect close call balance between both enemy and player.

I am perfectly ok with enemy cheats and enemy near escapes, and even weak plot cheats, because I have the biggest cheat and near escape of all: power word reload.

This is true of course, but my opinion above is not about Irenicus surviving the first encounter, but rather how scripted escapes feel unnatural and breaks immersion. If someone gets their ass handed to them, would they really be so confident about it?

Anyways, this is the thread for unpopular opinions so I don't really need to say more, just wanted to explain it's the scripted event and the way it's implemented I don't like, not the fact that also antagonists can die and be revived.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Actually, in a noreload charname dies only once.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @lroumen At most, yes. As he does in any game of BG since you cannot resurrect Charname.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Haha. Yes, charname can also survive the whole game.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Skatan said:

This is true of course, but my opinion above is not about Irenicus surviving the first encounter, but rather how scripted escapes feel unnatural and breaks immersion. If someone gets their ass handed to them, would they really be so confident about it?

Anyways, this is the thread for unpopular opinions so I don't really need to say more, just wanted to explain it's the scripted event and the way it's implemented I don't like, not the fact that also antagonists can die and be revived.

Well, in his case, the confidence wasn't even so much "I'll beat you next time!" so much as "There won't be a next time, because you're not gonna survive long without your soul!" If charname withered and died like any other being in the same situation, he would have been right.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I look at Watcher's Keep as a place to kind of get away from it all. You know, been on the road, hectic everywhere, people hunting you and all...just nice to take a break for a change. :D
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    unpopular opinion, this thread really sees any unpopular opinions anymore.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I really like playing Icewind Dale on Insane Mode to get the double experience. Ever since I learned that harder difficulties give more experience, every single game of Icewind Dale I've played has been on Very Hard/Insane Mode. I just like having high-level characters, especially since characters in Icewind Dale keep getting better after level 20 (though not in the same ways as in Throne of Bhaal).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    lolien said:

ToB is the best worked out part of the games, however they should have leave out the Watcher's Keep part maybe.

From the three (now four with SoD) main villain Melissan is my favourite.

Valygar is SO funny. I never can help myself, just laugh out loud on his jokes.

It was so creative to put Drizzt in both part of the BG game. I don't think his appearance is forced: if you travel the realms, you should run into this guy sooner or later. I just sad that he was left out from IWD.

BG music is meh.

Combat system is too simple and easy. If you played the game once, you know all of it.

Anyone could do a better game, than this.

There is at least one good thing in the making of the BG games: Philip Athans could show his brilliant writer talent in making the novels for the otherwise flat story of the games.

There's just too much myconids in these games.

I checked the OP to be sure, and the opinions you share don't have to be yours.
    @lolien
    Drizzt wasn't around during the time of IWD. He wasn't even born yet. Although Bruenor Battlehammer was probably around. It would've been cool to see Beorn's (Wulfgar's grandfather) mother or father around somewhere.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882

fehh. just look for mine. so many of them ignored out of spite :blush:

Solo noreload runs are only fun when you're playing a wild mage.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077

ToB: Saradush is on the verge of falling...screw it, they can wait. Let's go see what these rumors of Watcher's Keep are all about. Or after that...the Bhaalspawn numbers are shrinking. Armies march across the land looking to kill you. But eh...whatever. That can wait. I'm going to go explore this place
    I headcannon that my Bhaalspawn either assumes that Yaga-Shura could hide his heart in some filled with demons and traps ruins, or that Helmites are suggesting that he might've done it:
    - Blessed be Helm that you answered our call, oh mighty Bhaalspawn!
    - Yeah, no probs, just make it quick cuz I have to find heart of some fire giant chieftain. Y'know, Bhaalspawn bussiness and stuff.
    - Oh... oh, really? Because some fire giant *actually* brought some heart-looking thing into Watcher's Keep recently...

So, yeah.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I symphatize with (at least RPG) sand-box or open world exploration generally horrible, frustrating or stupid end fights. It is hard to make that fight stack.

Morrowind got it right - if you are a Christ-figure, what matters if your anti-Christ is just a tough boss?

Let it be added: it was the earlier ample chance of botching your prophetic mission that elevates the Morrowind Nevarine contest to me. If you get that far, you are the Nevarane, a god incarnate. Otherwise, you failed it earlier.

The observation that this thread is lacking in unpopular opinions isn't just a popular opinion, it's become a cliche.
    @Abi_Dalzim
    I made the observation before it was cool though.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Hey! I just checked, and I was the first one to point it out, back at page 1.

We underestimate the popularity of our own opinions because we think other people aren't as smart and wise and cool and attractive as we are.

@semiticgod
    Don't you dare bring facts into this discussion!
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Artona
    About 55, I got one for you then, and it's even polled, so there. Here it is:

Unpopular opinion (currently):
    @Anduin should be our king!!

And proof that it's currently an unpopular opinion can be found in this thread:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59362/who-should-sit-on-the-forum-throne/p1

Hopefully, this will change that opinion to be more popular...and hopefully @Anduin will finally get the glory he deserves...and hopefully, his rightful place as our ruler will be established...and, even more hopefully, I will become his faithful undead mashedtaters servant in the afterlife! All glory to @Anduin ! Long live @Anduin ! Vote @Anduin !

*engorges self on mashed potatoes bribe
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Grum
    "It takes alot of mental gymnastics to fit those areas into the storyline."

But isn't that because they incorporated the expansions into the main game?
    Rather than keep them as expansions.

It does make sense that after killing Saravok, your highish level adventuring party does get asked to undertake major tasks. All it would take is a few lines of extra dialog from various interested parties. Everything in TOTSC fits easily into the scenario of "heroes" needing to make money.

With the new SOD game, it would have been an ideal oportunity to take TOTSC back to what it was originally meant to be.
    Although that would be unpopular because, lets face it, everybody wants the loot early.

TOB is a horrible game with great set pieces and a brilliant over arking storyline. The whole of it needs a major overhaul.
    WK being out of place is the least of it's problems. It wouldn't have taken much to invent a believable/thematic reason as to why you need to go there.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Baldur's Gate with Temple of Elemental Evil turn based combat system would have been the best game ever
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Next goal: 100.
    58. Greater Malision is way to powerful and should be moved to higher levels or nerfed.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Any spell or ability that offers a save bonus to the victim is utterly worthless and should be ignored / discarded.