Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

To be fair, I don't think any EE NPCs are multi/dual classed, and they use a lot of kits, so it seems like Beamdog has been listening to that complaint.

Glint is multiclassed, but I believe he's the only one.

Still waiting for an NPC assassin, though - Hexxat would have been one if the game didn't need an evil utility thief. She should be sinking her fangs into people for x7 damage, not picking pockets like some common street urchin :)
    justfeelinathome
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited May 2016

Maybe it was an attempt to appeal to the twighlight crowd? :*

She wouldn't have needed the cloak, then.

More seriously, it would have been more upfront with the angst instead of springing it on us last minute as a surprise. Which might actually have been a better writing decision. It would be trite and annoying, yes, but it would at least make some semblance of sense and not be contradictory.

But yeah, a shade, or some other intelligent undead, or even a dhampyr would have been better choices. Hell, with a dhampyr you could have a lot of the same story ideas, but without the Bodhi comparisons being nearly so uncomfortable. And she'd be at least a bit more palatable to good party members. Plus, you know, the whole "evil is in my blood" thing would make a good parallel with the PC.
    Post edited by Abi_Dalzim on
    GrumjustfeelinathomeArtonaFoggy
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266

Plus, you know, the whole "evil is in my blood" thing would make a good parallel with the PC.

If she was any sort of decent vampire, she'd be sucking the evil right out of your blood.

There you go! Parallel made!
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    It would also explain somewhat why she's so differently from a mechanical standpoint to other vampires. You know, aside from the fact that she'd break the game if she weren't? :lol:

Though I think that if she had one of the two kits mentioned above I feel there would have been a need for nerving her stats... I mean, did she really HAVE to be stronger than Dorn?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You need the strength to carry those heavy fangs
    ArtonaZaferickmashedtaters
    Legendary said:

Minsc is the most overrated character in the series and he's not worth having to take Dynaheir in BG1

For myself, I often take Dynaheir and ignore Minsc.
    mashedtatersDJKajuruAyiekieHalfOrcBeastmaster
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53
    redline said:

I have no interest whatsoever in further EE games. I want to see new content set in the Forgotten Realms, and don't particularly care if it's at all BG related in terms of story.

Yo this 100%. I'd love to see a game in Waterdeep or Daggersford or anywhere north of Baldur's Gate
    mashedtatersMalicron
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Wow...keep it up guys, good work.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited May 2016
    Legendary said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I need to vent (the SoD spoiler)

**** the unskippable cutscene before Belifhet. Why is this here. What does it serve other than to make me have to sit here for five minutes before each attempt.

I submitted a feature request to make the game autosave after the dialog and cutscene, as opposed to the utterly boneheaded, unjustifiably user-unfriendly approach that's there now. Given the lack of attention my request got, this is a depressingly unpopular opinion. Guess we're stuck with it.

Seriously, the whole "save before an unskippable cutscene" thing is so widely mocked that it's its own meme at this point. How in God's name can a designer be so oblivious as to actually do that in 2016?
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Jarrakul
    edited May 2016
    redline said:

Seriously, the whole "save before an unskippable cutscene" thing is so widely mocked that it's its own meme at this point. How in God's name can a designer be so oblivious as to actually do that in 2016?

They must have been too busy forgetting that Belhifet probably shouldn't lose so easily to level 8 adventurers.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    SmilingSworddok0zhivagoFoggy
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    So, guys, please always use the spoiler tags when discussing SoD stuff anywhere else than the SoD subforum. Also, the strong language here is not allowed.
    GrumButtercheeselolien
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2016
    The drow (Lolth or Eilistraee) are the most predicable race in the Realms, and lack any serious depth. Other than Drizzt, Zaknafein, and Viconia, I can't really name any other dark elves who're an exception to this.

You know what, I take that back; you can make that case for any race in the Realms, come to think of it. Dwarves being greedy drunks, orcs being dumb savages, elves being whiny environmentalists, halflings being an annoying child-race, etc.
    Grum said:

But I've decided that Hexxat is a dhampyr, as she was infected with vampirism but it didn't fully manifest. This is why mechanically speaking she is a much weaker form of vampire compared to all of the enemies you face.

I like your thinking, sir. :) However, I personally like to think that Hexxat is just a different type of vampire, not unlike the different kinds of vampires you'll find in Warhammer. Half-vampires (dhampyrs) are normally the product of a vampified mother or mating between humans and well-fed vampires, but given that we're talking about a fantasy setting, anything's possible.
    Post edited by Achterklad on
    ButtercheesemashedtatersGrum
    On another note, the hengeyokai races of Kara-Tur remind me too much of Kung Fu Panda for me to take them seriously.

Aerakar
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Shadowstep is an idiotic ability. It's just super abusable to expire spell time. Its main purpose is barely useful and everyone just uses it to wait PFMW out. Its also super annoying when used on the enemy side.
    Artonajustfeelinathome
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Legendary said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I need to vent (the SoD spoiler)

**** the unskippable cutscene before Belifhet. Why is this here. What does it serve other than to make me have to sit here for five minutes before each attempt.
    So your protections that you casted before cutscene can dispell, I guess.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I generally take a somewhat minimal approach to voice acting. It's not something everyone can do and usually I think it's time and money spent better elsewhere.
    redlineThacoBell
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2016

On another note, the hengeyokai races of Kara-Tur remind me too much of Kung Fu Panda for me to take them seriously.

Now I'm thinking of the Pandaren race from World of Warcraft, which was a very unpopular addition to the world and to the lore.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    Score one for its player demographic. ;)
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Now I'm thinking of the Pandarian race from World of Warcraft, which was a very unpopular addition to the world and to the lore.
    I think they became more popular over time. I've seen no shortage of players who love Pandaren and the additions they brought to the lore.
    BelgarathMTH

Korax the Ghoul is more useful than half the party members in BG1.

Do you get similarly good use out of Tiax's summon ghast ability, then?
    Zaferick
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456

Now I'm thinking of the Pandarian race from World of Warcraft, which was a very unpopular addition to the world and to the lore.
    I think they became more popular over time. I've seen no shortage of players who love Pandaren and the additions they brought to the lore.
    I love my Pandaren Shaman that I used to play the story of Warlords of Draenor. Normally play gnomes but thought I'd give Pandaren a try and leveled her from 1-100 and really enjoyed the character.
    BelleSorciere