Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

Harpers are douchebags.

The single most popular opinion evah!
    Really? I just thought most people liked them for some reason I couldn't ever understand. I know some of my friends always liked them.

I though they filled the same space as paladins, you know a bunch of horrible people within a horrible organization, that most people are totally fine with.
    It was mostly meant as a joke, though I have never heard or read anyone speak many friendly words of them. My experience is limited to my RL friends (only BG, not PnP) and this place though.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    What!!!

*Throws mental punch of rage at @thedamages opinion... headbutts laptop causing monetary damage*

War solves nothing!

*Calls solicitor*
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    DJKajuru said:

The Twinfold temple from rassad's quest is too monumental for a clandestine-built-in-the-middle-of-nowhere temple.

a theory:
    the original map was smaller. the temple model was finished and then upscaled for some reason (probably to look proportionate to the interior, which was i think designed later, as the writing was taking shape, or to be spacious enough for the big fight that happens on the bridge)
    that's why the textures look stretched and the bridge is unnaturally blocky

it's the worst area in the game, i loathe it. it's amateurishly done compared to the rest.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like it. The bridge fight is cool. If you come at a low level you can retreat up the stairs (something I've done more than once). There is a side area to see (the animals and the tied up monks) and an Easter egg (Wilson).
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Played a monk duo with Rasaad and did his quest right out of Irenicus' dungeon. The heretics and rasaad got slaughtered. I used those stairs to make wide arcing sweeps with the ring of energy, targeting inner members of the sharran group and dragging the beam of fire across the outsiders. They didn't last long.

I always buy that ring now. Not as good as the wand of fire or agannazar's scorcher, but very useful for non-spellcasters.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    SoD should have been better.
    SoD endgame is inspired by Diablo II
    :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm not sure if this one is already in the thread somewhere - it probably is.

I think Goodberries is a fantastic level two druid spell, and I use it all the time.

I don't like to waste Cure Light Wounds spells if I'm down less than 8 hit points, and I don't like to go around wounded in between combats. Goodberries are also great for helping with realistic rest cycles for role-players. I think of healing resources in terms of total out-of-combat hit points available. Three Cure Light Wounds spells equals 24 out-of-combat hit points available to be restored. Each Goodberries spell raises that total by 5. I like to get the total hp available number as high as I can.

The great thing about Goodberries is that they store when you don't need them, and they don't spoil in BG like they do in IWD, so you can stock up on them.

(I consider healing potions to be in-combat restoratives, not to be wasted unless in combat, as opposed to my out-of-combat restoratives. Both are valuable resources when a role-player refuses to hit the rest button every five minutes.)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    @BelgarathMTH Interesting. I rarely use druids in BG1, and in BG2 ring of regeneration obviates the need for minor healing like that, but you may be onto something. And really, the only other contenders for those spell slots are things like Resist Fire/Cold and Slow Poison, so it's not like a couple of those will be missed.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Here's hoping that when Beamdog does its own new game that they decouple reputation from alignment. So you can do good and evil things and you can do lawful and chaotic things and you can do things that raise or lower your reputation but that alone won't necessarily directly impact your alignment (say, causing a paladin to fall).
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541

I'm not sure if this one is already in the thread somewhere - it probably is.

I think Goodberries is a fantastic level two druid spell, and I use it all the time.

I don't like to waste Cure Light Wounds spells if I'm down less than 8 hit points, and I don't like to go around wounded in between combats. Goodberries are also great for helping with realistic rest cycles for role-players. I think of healing resources in terms of total out-of-combat hit points available. Three Cure Light Wounds spells equals 24 out-of-combat hit points available to be restored. Each Goodberries spell raises that total by 5. I like to get the total hp available number as high as I can.

The great thing about Goodberries is that they store when you don't need them, and they don't spoil in BG like they do in IWD, so you can stock up on them.

(I consider healing potions to be in-combat restoratives, not to be wasted unless in combat, as opposed to my out-of-combat restoratives. Both are valuable resources when a role-player refuses to hit the rest button every five minutes.)

Once I played the game with a small bongo drum and a green wig made from a mop. Each time Jaheira cast the goodberry spell I would accompany her with great raucous howling. OMG!!! Made me wish for a Fred Flintstone style toga-skin!! Almost passed out from laughing.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Calling a little ways back to what @thedamages said I completely agree that PoE did a few things better than the BG series and here they are or at least what I think they are.

Druids having a different spelltable to clerics and a shapeshift that is useful early on.

The reputation system. Each town or city having it's own thoughts on what your party is makes far more sense than having one reputation rating.

The skill system, giving us the choice of who does traps/locks/scrolls and the rest. This system makes it far easier to have a more varied party as you don't always need to bring a thief.

Fighters having abilities besides hit the thing and barbarians having abilities besides hit the thing angrily.

Ciphers

Durance, no character in any of the BG games is as interesting as Durance. I personally love to hate the guy, as he is a cruel, bigoted douchebag but hell the writing is so good that I can't not have him around.

This ^ I also really like that all attributes were at least marginally useful for everyone. There wasn't a concrete dump stat, so there is less emphasis on min max (at least below path of damned difficulty). Attributes having a tangible effect on dialogue is also nice, having high perception allows you to notice small details, intelligence for logic, etc.

One thing I find interesting is that if Keldorn gets confused in combat and accidentally kills an innocent, my paladin falls but Keldorn does not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_responsibility
    :smile: