Skip to content

My new CHARNAME help me decide on a subclass

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
So far I've decided to play a male Half-Elf multiclass Thief/Mage, I'm gonna add a kit with EEkeeper, what I can't decide is which kit I'm gonna add.
  1. My new CHARNAME help me decide on a subclass31 votes
    1. Assassin/Mage for super broken poison mislead fun
      16.13%
    2. Swashy/Mage because fighter/mage is good and this basically the same thing
      25.81%
    3. Bounty Hunter/Mage because reasons
      22.58%
    4. Shadow Dancer/Mage for HIPS casting
      35.48%
Post edited by SmilingSword on

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Swashbucklers are good, but no backstab multiplier and mages freaking rock with backstab plus a certain weapon in SoA (no spoilers). (Unless you don't want to backstab, then they are number 1)

Shadowdancers the same, but less backstabby no good.

Assassins rock, but getting that last multiplier isn't worth all the time you have to wait for you mage class to catch up to your thief class.

Bounty hunters are great. Traps rock. Either them or straight-up thief.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

mages freaking rock with backstab plus a certain weapon in SoA (no spoilers)

...are you thinking of a weapon that you can backstab with?
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    @mashedtaters oh I'm not duel classing I'm multiclassing and adding the kit with EEkeeper. Ooops I probably should of said that in the beginning. Gonna add that now :smiley:
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @joluv

Yes. Hehe.

@SmilingSword
    In that case, I change my vote to assassin.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    All options are solid, actually.

I vote for a shadowdancer for being able to prevent enemies from casting on you (just Hide in Plain Sight and their spells are cancelled) and for special HLAs which you can combine with casting.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've played ass/mage and it's a cool concept. Poison is said to be less OP now (I still haven't got 2.0+) but ofc mislead BS is still a very nice bit of cheese, kit or no kit. Playing a swashie/mage seems a waste though, but I guess the good thing is you get more freedom choosing NPC's since you are so independant. The assassin's lower skill points (btw, make sure you fix that in keeper after adding the kit or else you'll get normal amount of skill points from T/M) make you probably want to add another thief, at least in the beginning. Or you can do the usual traps/locks and just use rings and spells for invisibility until you have enough points to do both.

I played my Ass/mage as an archer and supporting mage in BG1, then became much more independant in BG2 and did more BS and even started to melee with him occasionally just for fun.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited May 2016
    Ooh... Hide in Plain Sight to move and cast... or Shadow Stepping your way out of trouble... That actually sounds quite tasty.

Plus you can go by the name of Shadow Mage! Certainly a lot better sounding than being called an Ass Mage. We already have Edwin for that. :tongue:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I thought we were talking about a dual-class, which is why I deemed Hide in Plain Sight so important. But I can't say no to a Bounty Hunter/Mage, since those traps are so much fun.
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    Either Bounty Hunter/Mage or Assassin/Mage... Shadow Dancer is not really needed when you get a certain staff in SoA as you can drop out of sight at will anyway. The eventual Assassin BS multiplier is a strong contender, but the BH traps will just have such nice synergy and make your Charname a virtual swiss army knife of spells, traps, stealth/BS, etc. Should be fun for you! :)
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Everything is more fun with more bounty hunter. I'd even be tempted to go mage ---> bounty hunter.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2016
    Speaking from experience, this is an incredibly fun class and a tremendous scout, once you actually get your thief points allocated.
    Staff of the Magi cannot be used to backstab.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I'd have gone with Swashbuckler for utility and usability, but your avatar (Jester from DD) suggests that you might like the "more sinister" play-through of the Assassin. Also ... the Thieving points will come sooner or later and high-level Swasbucklers feel a bit wasted.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    You had me at because reasons.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That sounds like more micromanagement and cheese than I care to deal with, but yeah, that works.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    You guys have sold me on the Shadow Dancer/Mage. I normally don't like Shadow Dancers because I really like traps but I can just run Haer'Dalis for HLA traps and I wonder if shadow clones can cast spells? This should be a pretty fun CHARNAME to play.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2016
    As it is a Multi --> Shadowcaster, because of the possibility of having 3 Simulacra (Helm, HLA and spell) active at the same time. o.O Too much cheese potential to pass up on, IMHO

EDIT: Also, Jan Jansens Armor strikes me as a good equipment choice for cheese, once you can use it (also allows spell casting, asides from comboing with your other HLA). Hmmm... Cheese... I think I'll play a Shadowdancer soon (Singleclass, though). :wink:
    Post edited by justfeelinathome on