Skip to content

Best sustained melee DPS class?

I'm looking to play a melee class (although it can be a multi or dual) that basically shreds stuff up while there is another main tank absorbing the damage. Obviously many classes can fit this role but I'm curious what you consider the best from a sustained DPS standpoint in this regard. Although I'll use a class thief for some traps for some hard fights (and/or backstabs) I'm mostly looking to get my kicks chunking things up with some kind of melee weapon(s)

Note also, I'm not looking at what's the best for the last 5% of the game.. I'd like it to be a class that dominates for most of bg2 (other than some down time if having to dual if that's even what works best.) Probably more importantly, I don't want it to be a class that "has" to rely on resting after every fight in order to have that killer DPS. I don't mind factoring in special abilities but I'd like the sustained DPS to be solid for the trash mobs I'm chunking (since I don't like to rest after every fight.)

Monk? Kensai? Barb? Zerker? Swashie? Blade? F/T ? I've been googling and haven't found a real definitive answer.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited May 2016
    If you are not interested in defense then probably Kensai is the way I'd go.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    kensai dual wield hammer.

crush damage dominates all
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    Yea, I'm leaning towards a berserker since I'm going to try to run with a smallish (4-5 max) party. I like paladins as well so I'm planning on keeping Keldorn and myself for melee, then some thief/magic/heal support from some others depending on where I am in the game.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I'd recommend a dual-wielding barbarian. It hasn't got quite as much damage as the kensai but still comes close when using rage and is far more survivable.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A dual-wielding, half-orc, berserker does an awful lot of damage - and works well in ToB (if you're thinking of going that far).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd probably go dual-wield berserker. Kensai doesn't outdamage berserker until BG2, once you consider the bonuses the berserker can get from gauntlets, and they're much more durable besides.
    Jarrakul said:

I'd probably go dual-wield berserker. Kensai doesn't outdamage berserker until BG2, once you consider the bonuses the berserker can get from gauntlets, and they're much more durable besides.

For what it's worth I already played BG1 (with a sorcerer.) This is a fresh start of BG2, so I'm not concerned with how this PC will fair in BG1.

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    rickcr said:

Jarrakul said:

For what it's worth I already played BG1 (with a sorcerer.) This is a fresh start of BG2, so I'm not concerned with how this PC will fair in BG1.
    Definitely go with a dual-wielding Berserker. Flail of the Ages + Crom Faeyr are guaranteed to turn your already badass Berserker into a killing machine. Watch the dps go up and up!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2016
    I'm with the Kensai camp for pure damage potential, for reasons above stated by @semiticgod.

No one has mentioned Fighter/Cleric multi, but with all the cleric buffs (especially Holy Power for a slight Thac0 bonus, DUHM for max Strength, and Righteous Magic for max damage) they should hit harder than any fighter except perhaps an optimized Kensai. Multi is preferable over dual because of the late game; you get Fighter HLAs.

Edit: yes, you'll need to cast those spells, unlike a Kensai who doesn't rely on any spells at all. But note that you only want those spells against tougher foes, and after you've gained a few levels in BG2 you'll have enough spell slots to stay buffed for an entire battle. (Besides spell durations grow with levels.)
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    To really chunk opponents - you might want to consider some of the following:

Kensai - powerful - does a lot of damage but can't use armor/shields/gauntlets so misses out on some protection but potions/items will help with that for major fights but for most battles you won't need to use them. If you are not restricting weapons use (I only let my kensai master swords or one type of weapon) then dual wielding blunt weapons is of course much better - as you know some of the best weapons are blunt in the game or some kind of combo (eg sword and flail). By level 12 you will be mostly destroying your opponents - watch the chunks fly.

Berserker - powerful - does a lot of damage almost as much as a kensai with the right equipment can match the damage power of a kensai -- its berserker rage is way over powered with too much immunities which it should not have. Possible restrictions if you are role-playing this class: the character should only use melee weapons preferably a two-hander of some kind (and really no dual wielding since that requires some finesse to use and going berserk loses that mental control) - and no pre-planning allowed if you activate rage before a battle - he should just charge in (let the AI control it until rage ends) - no missile/throwing weapons for a berserker even when not using rage and no shields when using rage although he is able to use them when calm.

During my play through with either berserker or kensai - neither kit are allowed to dual class.

Barbarian - almost as powerful, a ton of HP - no grandmastery but has rage - well chunk a lot of foes; barbarians I always imagined where like Conan - powerful - using two-handed swords with limited armor and really taking it to the opponent that they are facing.

Monks - pretty powerful - but you have to wait a few levels until after the first dungeon - at level 12 (or so) - some useful immunities and lots of attacks - add strength belt and some magical protection and the monk will mostly plow through your foes with some ease. You might want to use a monk mod for different options (and to ensure that monks have magical fists at the proper levels) and for some unique monk only HLA.

Dwarven Defender - haven't tried this yet - but from the description - it is a powerful fighter class - easily able to tank and squash all foes in melee combat - but of course you must be a dwarf to be one. Give him axes, hammer and or flails and he most likely will destroy all foes with ease.

While other kits and classes (duals and multi) can be more powerful - the above makes you able to chunk without the need of spells or any real assistance or any down time due to dualing.
  • KorbuKorbu Member Posts: 61
    The most powerful melee DPS class i've seen, is a dual wield Pure Kensai. I have a Lvl 40 Half-Orc Kensai that i used the BG1 Tomes, Machine of Lum, Deck of Many Things, and SoA Hell Tests on, so he has 24 STR/20 DEX/23 CON. His main hand has -25 Thac0, and his offhand has -24 Thac0 with his gear. His damage output is so insane, that he can even take out my Lvl 40 Dwarven Defender with Defensive Stance up.
    @bengoshi The issue I see with the F/M/T though is the micromanagement. For tough fights, I of course don't mind all the pre-buffing needed, but it would seem like a F/M/T would need to have to do this more often even for more common fights in order to be that power-house.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Kensai certainly is the best pure class choice damage-wise (If we exclude F/M/T mislead+ backstab cheese), though berzerker will often prove more reliable and less hard to play (since they will be tanky on top of dealing a lot). Before 2.0 (if playing on android/Iphone), blackguard are stronger than Kensai due to their """Balanced""" poison weapon. Even after the nerf though they still are very good

If you do not mind dualing, you may want to consider Kensai/Berserker duals as well, but that lowers your power level for a while.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited May 2016
    best melee combo i found was pretty obvious tbh....

Dwarven Defender - (sword shield style)+ fighter/thiefr or FMT

dwarf defender is a brick wall, with the dps comming from the rear )

Not very subtle tbh.....I should mess about with kensai sometime.

Ive toyed with ranger/clr, which was ok, but seemed a bit bland somehow.

not really tried the bard and thief melee types: they seem a bit underwhelming?

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited May 2016
    don't listen to the kensai fanboys, hes squishy can be crit and has nothing to combat Status effects. and all that just to have about 10hit10dmg more at max level compared to what i will suggest you.

Half-Orc Fighter/Cleric Multiclass..is where the Hurt is Born,

STR/CON19 DEX/WIS18 INT5/10 for Mind Flayers. and charisma as your dump stat.

all weapons he can use are crushing which is the best sort of damage. he can dual wield, wear platemail helmets and bracers.

buying Buckly's Buckler(1000-1500g friendly arm in) and wearing it during map travel or rest will give you free HP regeneration right of the start, once you have the con book you don't have to fiddle around with that anymore. making you independent on heal spells for yourself, and since your hopefully the first and last that enemy's see ease up on your party too.

Clerics are the Gods of Protection Buffs against status effects ...and while others run in fear, stand around dumbstruck or even turn against your party, you just buff up and go to town.
    you don't even need Buffs for Trash but with a final of 21 wisdom in BG1 you got so many 1-5 spells that other party members run out long before your character.

and if shit really hits the fan you can just Sanctuary away and run for your life.

best of all hes strong from Killing shank in Candlekeep until seeing the outro cutscene in TOB with no downtime's , no weak moments and no fuzz.

if i had to pick one Race/Class combo for a no reload run ever it would be this, since its a beast solo and for Groups.
    @DevardKrown Thanks for the info on F/C. It's something I've always wanted to roll up but never did! It does sound super appealing even if it's not the ultimate DPS machine. One thing I like about is I don't have to remove armor to cast. It's a multi class combo that 'make sense' Just curious though, why not Dwarf?

Totally unrelated to the topic but I'm also thinking of I/T ... got major 'restart-itus' going on.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

don't listen to the kensai fanboys, hes squishy can be crit and has nothing to combat Status effects. and all that just to have about 10hit10dmg more at max level compared to what i will suggest you.

all weapons he can use are crushing which is the best sort of damage. he can dual wield, wear platemail helmets and bracers.

buying Buckly's Buckler(1000-1500g friendly arm in) and wearing it during map travel or rest will give you free HP regeneration right of the start, once you have the con book you don't have to fiddle around with that anymore. making you independent on heal spells for yourself, and since your hopefully the first and last that enemy's see ease up on your party too.

Clerics are the Gods of Protection Buffs against status effects ...and while others run in fear, stand around dumbstruck or even turn against your party, you just buff up and go to town.
    you don't even need Buffs for Trash but with a final of 21 wisdom in BG1 you got so many 1-5 spells that other party members run out long before your character.

and if shit really hits the fan you can just Sanctuary away and run for your life.

best of all hes strong from Killing shank in Candlekeep until seeing the outro cutscene in TOB with no downtime's , no weak moments and no fuzz.

if i had to pick one Race/Class combo for a no reload run ever it would be this, since its a beast solo and for Groups.

Strong for sure. But divine buffs are vulnerable to a Dispel... Doubly so due to the multi-class reducing caster-level.
    Also, if playing part Cleric, is Half-Orc really so superior? Clerics have so many options to boost physical stats (Strength in particular) that I feel a Dwarf would be better due to their better saving throws.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I'm thinking Berserker, but also, for similar reasons, the Cavalier, who also has a bunch of interesting abilities that makes it easier to survive things that aren't hit point damage, like fear, fire/acid, charm, etc. Paladins get better than average saving throws to IIRC, so that's another plus.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Cavalier is great, but probably more tank than DPS. Still, sometimes the best offense is a good defense.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Carsomyr gives them a better offense against spellcasters, which people care about a lot.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    abacus said:

Strong for sure. But divine buffs are vulnerable to a Dispel... Doubly so due to the multi-class reducing caster-level.
    Also, if playing part Cleric, is Half-Orc really so superior? Clerics have so many options to boost physical stats (Strength in particular) that I feel a Dwarf would be better due to their better saving throws.
    i grand you the dwarf sir, trading early dmg/THAC0 benefits for shorty saving throws is reasonable.
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    Kensai 9 -> Thief. Great first strike with backstab for most of SOA due to very brief downtime since Thief levelling is the fastest... You could take Kensai to 13, but then downtime will be significantly longer. At Kensai 9 with mastery and dual wielding one of the bonus +1 APR weapons in the off hand you will still get to 5 APR (1 +1 (GM) +1/2(Fighter 7) +1 (offhand bonus) +1/2 (guantlets) =4 + 1 offhand attack). Once you get the UAI HLA you can wear armor and no longer rely on the Shield Amulet. So if you want a great first strike/mage killer along with sustained DPS ability Kensai->Thief deserves consideration.
    @Chad hmm yea that sounds appealing also .. considering I enjoy the thief in general since I like my main opening stuff, detecting/disarming traps, and scouting etc. Just feels right with him on point (or the opposite with a Sorcerer or Mage in back as "general" ) (I actually have a dwarf F/T that has gotten a few chapters into BG2 and he's pretty fun.)

I should ask this or research on another forum post, but I'm curious concerning HLAs, do they come at a point so late into the game that what % of the game is typically left at the point? If it's only like 10% left the HLAs aren't as appealing overall as a consideration.
    Well, you don't get HLA until 2.95 Million (so unless you have an XP cap remover not until ToB). However, realize that UAI just makes things more convenient, the class is not any less 'fun' without it. You can still Hide, Backstab, kite/run, rinse and repeat to great effect. Since it is charname you shouldn't mind the micromanagement... Also, with Shield Amulet and/or a mage to provide you with some buffs (along with potions, some potions last for several hours)... Remember, the shield amulet is very cheap to purchase/recharge and each charge lasts for 1 hour so each charge will last 2-5 battles depending on how spread out they are. Mix this with rings of prot/boots, belts, etc. and you can have enough armor when you need it, just remember you aren't a tank, you're a damage dealer! Kensai/Thief can do exceptionally well at that role.

TL/DR - HLA's are only for ToB unless you get an xp cap remover for SoA, even then, a bit late, but if you compare to a vanilla thief or thief kit you can get pretty decent backstabs, more APR, better THACO for giving up armor...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Chad Having ToB installed works as an XP cap remover for SoA.
    Thanks @FinneousPJ ... @rickcr so the only thing you have to consider is if waiting to 2.95 MM XP is too long... ~3/8ths of the saga in terms of XP if you plan to reach the cap. (though probably more like 5/8 of the game before you actually take your first HLA).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited May 2016
    when it comes to tanking and DPSing, I like half-orc berserkers, I have made a few runs with these guys, an they start wrecking shop from day one with using a trusty two handed weapon preferably the two handed sword, in bg1 the most damaging weapon in the game is the two handed sword +3, and with 20 STR, mits of weapon specialization , 4 points in two handed sword and 2 points in two handed weapon style, he can deal up to 28 damage with a single, hit, not to shabby for someone who will also have great HP and can wear some full plate mail

then you bring him over into SoA, and almost right off the bat, you can find lilarcor right away almost, which is another two handed sword +3 and start kicking some serious but, and then, the best weapon in SoA? the silver sword, which is the sword to end all swords, now granted its only +3, but its special ability is legendary: 25% chance for enemy to save vs death ( -2 penalty) or die instantly, so basically if you have 4 attacks per round, the enemy is basically saving every round at least once to not kick the can, and best part is, with that -2 penalty, there is no enemy in the game that can sure fire make that save, so this effect can affect anyone, and I have done many playthroughs with that sword, and you would be amazing at how many baddies you will send into oblivion with that sword, the most common animation you are going to see, is a spirit leaving your baddie's body from having their head cut off

then we come into ToB and I still use the silver sword, until I hit the ultimate weapon: the ravanger +6, not only does this weapon deal some crazy damage, but again, the wonderful one hit peace out move is also attached, now although its only 10% the best part is? no save this time ( or at least if it hasn't been nerfed a bit yet, like with a save or some such) but even then, my half orc at that time had 23 STR and was dealing up to around 35 damage on a normal hit and that's not even including the chance of dealing some extra poison damage, or our good ol' friend mr decapitation

so in my opinion that class/race/weapon combo will slice, dice, and disentigrate yer baddies into goo, and best part is: no spell buffs needed to kick butt, and if needed berserk just adds to the godliness, plus your AC will always be decent, plus you will have great HP, and you don't need to micro manage squat, just set AI to standard attack and let 'im loose

and one thing that I really REALLY love about this combo? its just fun as hell to play, hence the reason why I have done it more than once
    @sarevok57 thanks alot sarevok. I might use EEKeeper and change my pips to two handed sword / 2 hand style (vs dual like I have it now.) You also pretty much nailed one thing that I like about a class like the berserker... not a lot of prebuffing needed - which also means less resting between fights.