Skip to content

Which one is better, Sword of Flame or Blade of Roses?

I am having a fight with myself on which one of them I'm gonna sell, I like both of them but you can't keep the other one forever, right?

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    If you want a good long sword

In Watchers Keep on the 4th level the one with the Githyanki you get the Angurvadal which is a +4 with some nice bonuses.
    Idied5minutesagoAerakar
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Consider brining with you the sword of flames when hitting De'Arnise keep. Different swords works better in different situations. Use Mundane swords against mages with PfMW. For a general sword, the Blade of Roses is better. Though I prefer Daystar +2, in the Gate district. Bring a ptr from undead Scroll and you can get it as early as you want to.
    Idied5minutesagojustfeelinathomeAerakarjackjack
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Keep both. Sword of Flames is also great against undead.
    bob_vengIdied5minutesagoAerakar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The Sword of Flame is usually the first sword I buy because a) there seem to be trolls everywhere in the early quests and b) I usually do the early quests with a small party and invariably "forget" to bring an archer along (I hate arrow micro-management and resent using up a party slot for someone who's only there to give trolls the coup de grace).
    joluvIdied5minutesagoAerakar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Due to bonus to hit vs downed enemies, anyone with a bow and fire arrows can coup de grace the trolls. You don't need a specialized archer for that.

De'arnise keep has way more fire arrows than you could ever need to kill all trolls. You don't have to bring anything to the keep to be able to finish the quest, it's already all there.

Personally I would never waste gold on +1 sword, the Rose, on the other hand, is a very cheap and early aquirable +3 weapon I quite often buy even when noone is specializing in longswords. Gold really only matters in the beginning and using the little you have for starters on a sword with very limited use rather than saving up for something better or buying a scroll of whatever is IMHO, not advisable.
    joluvIdied5minutesago
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @Skatan All very good points, I'll concede on this one - it's just that the way I play can be somewhat idiosyncratic.
    SkatanIdied5minutesago
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Huh. I guess I'm still in the habit of carrying at least one melee weapon that does fire damage, because in older versions (1) downed Trolls could save against the arrows' fire damage, which was annoying, and (2) switching to a bow was a hassle for anyone with anything in their off-hand. Those things are changed now, so I suppose there's no reason not to rely on Arrows of Fire.
    dunbarIdied5minutesagoAerakarNonnahswriter
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Blade of Roses is more sexy.
    Idied5minutesagoAerakarNonnahswriter
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited May 2016
    If I remember correctly both these weapons are free if you have a high pickpocket score or don't mind save scumming. So keeping both shouldn't be a problem.
    Idied5minutesago
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

If I remember correctly both these weapons are free if you have a high pickpocket score or don't mind save scumming. So keeping both shouldn't be a problem.

I don't remember the pickpocket score needed to steal from Ribald, but you need ~240 to steal from Bernard in CC IIRC. But if you are gonna steal the swords, then the issue of gold is ofc moot :P 'cause then you might as well just go steal everything and sell it of to a fence.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    You actually can't steal from Ribald unfortunately. The option never appears.
    joluvJuliusBorisovIdied5minutesago
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Although you can steal a certain ring from Ribald himself, not from his shop ;)

But please, let's stay on topic!
    Idied5minutesagoSmilingSword
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Have both swords but if you can only afford one of them then the rose blade is a +3 sword and gives +2CHA when you are holding it is the better choice (and the price is good) - while the flame sword has a cool animation if you need fire to kill trolls there are a bunch of other options - easiest carry fire arrows, use a fire wand or have your mage cast burning hands/acid arrow spell

Idied5minutesagoAerakarjackjack
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Sword of flame is a great weapon to dispose of trolls.
    Idied5minutesagoAerakarjackjack
  • Idied5minutesagoIdied5minutesago Member Posts: 16

Wait, you could still both of them?! I thank you for this valuable information
    Chidojuan said:

You actually can't steal from Ribald unfortunately. The option never appears.

That sort of downed my determination to steal stuff but meh, still gonna try it. Thanks for info btw!

If you want a good long sword

In Watchers Keep on the 4th level the one with the Githyanki you get the Angurvadal which is a +4 with some nice bonuses.
    Thanks but, what chapter is that if may ask, good sir? I'm currently on chapter 3 (Yes, I know. 'Tis very pathetic)
    You can go to Watcher's Keep as early as Chapter 2, but it's designed for higher-level parties. Getting to the fourth level would be a big challenge.
    Idied5minutesagoSmilingSwordjackjack
    joluv said:

You can go to Watcher's Keep as early as Chapter 2, but it's designed for higher-level parties. Getting to the fourth level would be a big challenge.

I see, I thank thee for the advise, good sir :)
    decado said:

And trolls, too
    decado said:

I bet you mean Flame Tongue.
    Idied5minutesago

Blade of Roses is definitely the superior weapon being a +3. Sword of flame is only a +1 with 1 extra fire damage per hit. Neither are really that good but at least with the Blade of Roses you can actually hit most things and the bonus 2 CHA is nice. Sword of flame only really has the whole flaming sword animation going for it.

True, true. I only bought the Sword of Flame because I don't wanna use any of my flame arrows. I only use 'em in boss fights or high level monsters that are really weak against fire damage. You could say I'm very stingy with my arrows. Heck, I got 3 stacks of them.
    SmilingSwordjackjack
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited May 2016
    Three good early game longswords that are free:
    1. Varscona +2 that you get from the first golem room in the chapter 1 dungeon (post 2.0) if you put pips in longsword at creation.
    2. Namarra +2 with +4 damage (2 bonus damage for a +2 sword) and silence 3 times/day from a crypt in the graveyard guarded by a special skeleton warrior (with scs you might want to cast prot fear before fighting him). Awesome weapon for backstabs early on.
    3. Flame tongue +1 (+4 vs undead) and flaming sword animation! From the first quest in Trademeet, loot from one of the druids just before the boss.
    Idied5minutesago
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited May 2016
    Well, the Blade of Roses is a cheap weapon that can be used for the entirety of the game, since only a few optional enemies require +4 enchantment weapons I believe. It's more a roleplaying weapon than a truly powerful one, but it is still better stats-wise than the flaming sword.

However, my need to be a badass adventurer tells me that the flame sword is better, especially when both flaming swords (one in Ribald's, one at Copper Coronet) are bought with skills in dual wielding. I personally believe this is the only acceptable time to dual wield, though that is a personal gaming decision on my part.

jackjackChidojuanIdied5minutesago