Skip to content

*Spoilers* What do you do when your party encounters Drizzt?

SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
How do you play the game?
  1. *Spoilers* What do you do when your party encounters Drizzt?153 votes
    1. Help him kill the gnolls and then wish him a pleasant journey. (Wow, we just made friends with Drizzt, how totally awesome!)
      37.25%
    2. Kill that dirty Drow, because wow, is he annoying! (Drizzt Hater)
        3.92%
    3. Kill him and take his stuff, because he's worth a ton of XP and carries some of the nicest loot in game. (Powergamer, gimme that loot)
      13.73%
    4. Depends on my Main Character and party composition. (Paladin makes friends, Assassin gives his skull to Viconia)
      39.87%
    5. Ignore and/or avoid encountering him. (+3 Scimitars and +5Chain are so ovedone and last decade, who cares!)
        5.23%
TheGraveDiggerJuliusBorisovlolienmashedtatersCrevsDaakPause

Comments

• TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2016
    Usually my game is modded so Drizzt and Elminster are replaced with generic bounty hunters. But when my game is unmodded I'll always use MAXIMUM CHEESE or just CTRL+Y them both if I don't need the gear or XP.

I should have chosen option 2... oh well.
    Skarose
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    99.99 % of the time, I always take drizzt out ( because im a dirty power gamer and I wouldn't have it any other way :) ) but a couple of days ago, the planets aligned, and the power of shenanigans come over me, and I helped him with his gnoll problem and let him on his way

the reason for this OCD breaking chain is because in retrospect, if you have the level cap you will hit maximum XP by the end of the game anyway ( or at least I do) whether you kill him or not, so this play through I didn't need his XP, and then just how my team make up was constructed, there was absolutely no reason to use his gear ( no one was skilled with scimitar) and even though his chain mail is nice, ankheg armor is better so, I thought, I would let him go this time, but probably the next 1000 times or so, he is as good as toast 8)
    SkaroseSirBatincemashedtaters
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    • My squirrel Bhaalspawn accidentally bit his head off while he was trying to thank the party for helping him with the gnolls. There was a certain disappointment while trying to collect the drow's nuts.
    • My gnoll Bhaalspawn felt deeply insulted by the drow's proposal to kill his own kin in order to save his skin. There was a large-scale gnoll barbecue, otherwise known as a sausage fest, and there was much rejoicing.
    • My vampire Bhaalspawn, Julia, just kicked the guy's balls so hard they landed somewhere in eastern Cormyr, in a way such that allowed for his cry to be hard as far as Thay. After the chunks of meat were cleaned up, the loot was much appreciated and there was much rejoicing (and also a modest happy meal).
    • My fallen paladin Bhaalspawn, wielding the Cursed Sword of Berserking +3, genuinely wanted to help Drizzt in his struggle. Unfortunately, the taint of the accursed blade demanded the drow's blood. Aside from psychopathic convulsions, such that would suit a paladin in an epic struggle between himself and an evil sword, there was a milestone shift from Neutral Good to Neutral Evil involved. Frankly, after that event, the paladin became a model god of murder, becoming more and more of a Chaotic slaughterer day by day.
    • Other Bhaalspawn react as appropriate and as justified by their deeply roleplaying-ish nature and/or alignment.
    sarevok57Skaroselolienmashedtaters
    Anduin said:

I still like the idea that my party... Not that you can do this trick in BGEE... Used to meet him, then surround him. You could then make them leave the party, trapping Drizzt inside. You can then equip a quarterstaff and brain him to death from a safe distance...

Role-played.

"I cannot allow this drow to escape, but then I cannot kill him either... I must remain neutral..."

"Then hide your eye's Jaheira from what needs to be done. Because I cannot allow such evil to live!"

*Each member of the team turn their backs on the drow... Ignoring his pleas for clemency, wincing every now and again as the blunt weapon produces a dull sickening crunch from the drows blackened skull...*

Of course now... Weeelllllll... Lets just say that ain't happening no more...

interesting, you cant do that trick anymore? sometimes what I used to do was grab 4 guys I didn't want on my team and then surround drizzt with those chumps, and then the team I wanted I used them to take drizzt down while the other 4 dudes/dudettes were just chillin all around him, but then by accident I found out that in 1.4 if you attack drizzt from the right and don't move, he wont engage you, so I used to just do it that way for the lols

but now adays it seems I have no choice but to owst him legitimately, oh well I suppose it only takes around 110 000 xp per character power wise for me to be able to give drizzt the dirt nap

( the fact that he doesn't hit like a freight train travelling at relativistic speeds any more is nice, plus his thac0 isn't as god mode as it used to be, so that's nice)
    SkaroseAnduin
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Drizzt used to go straight for you and get trapped. Now he sort of wiggles free and tests each gap between the npcs to reach you. He also charms you if your not careful... So you move into range and kills you that way...
    jackjackSkaroselolienYelocessej
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Well as I am usually neutral or good I usually help him (not that he needed it) and wish him well on his journey.

Sometimes I just sit back and watch the show unfold.

You really can't fight him without cheese or exploits - and if you are doing that you might as well use Crtl+y to end the fight or keeper his belongings if you really want them.
    ArtonaSkarosemashedtaters
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2016
    None of the options were a good fit, so I picked the closest I could to what I really do: I save my game and then kill him just so I can say I took on Drizzt and won (and I export a character with his loot in case I ever want to play with his cool gear). Then I go back to the save and make friends with him and continue on with the game.
    SkaroseArtonaIronhammer33lolien
    Anduin said:

Drizzt used to go straight for you and get trapped. Now he sort of wiggles free and tests each gap between the npcs to reach you. He also charms you if your not careful... So you move into range and kills you that way...

hmmm, on my next play through, I think im going to try and do it with 5 party members and surround him ( better yet, might get him stuck on that lake or on the mountain) and then used a ranged weapon and see how that goes

even though I can kill him legitimately at around the 110 000 xp mark, when playing a monk, having defender and single weapon style makes it a little easier for my monk to go in melee combat
    Skarose
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    That entire encounter is so outta place and immersion-breaking, that I intentionally avoid it. And I don't want to fight him, since it's almost impossible without cheese.
    SkaroseSelabocjackjack
  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    Killing Drizzt is a fun challenge. I did it solo on a multiclass Fighter/Thief last night. Used Sandthief's ring for repeated backstabs.

Note: he sees through invisibility. That does -not- actually prevent backstabs though. As long as you are invis/stealth and behind a foe, you can backstab, whether they see you or not. Every round I just activated the ring, positioned behind him as he was attacking a gnoll, and stabbed. After doing that 6 times(of which I landed 4 backstabs), the gnolls were all dead and I just had to trade blows with him straight up. Fortunately he was 1 hit away from death by then. He missed. I didn't.
    Skarosesarevok57Grum
  • UncertaintyLichUncertaintyLich Member Posts: 18
    Well I insult him first, so I can kill him without losing reputation
    sarevok57jackjackmashedtaters
    I just battled him .... today? or was it yesterday? anyways, I battled him with a new low party XP record, of around 50 000 xp per guy, no cheese, no cheats, just potioned/spell buffed melee combat ( although it took me around 4 or 5 tries, I eventually got 'em)
    Skarosejackjack
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    Found an interesting thing: if you are careful and approach from the northwest, you can activate the gnolls but he won't fight back. If you're careful, you can activate them all and have them swing at him. After 20 minutes, they killed him. I chugged an invis potion and took his stuff.
    Skarose
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    shawne said:

sarevok57Grum
  • ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Kill him take his loot. His +2 AC Scimitar is simply the best Weapon in BG1. I killed him with Lvl1 in original BG yust standing on the other side of the River and shooting a TON of Arrows. And yes Imoen had a bad day luring him to that spot....

Nowadays hes smart enough to walk around the river. So I have to wait an little longer, but that doesnt change the fact hes beeing dead meat long bevore entering the cloakwoods.
    Skarosesarevok57
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited June 2016
    @Thorgaaz "His +2 AC Scimitar is simply the best Weapon in BG1."

I beg to differ, I think the +50% Fire resistance from 'Icing Death' is much more useful than the -2 AC from twinkle. I like my scimitar wielding monstrosities to push their Fire resistance past 100% and engage everyone in melee while mages, etc are at a distance throwing fireballs, scorchers, fire breath and potions of explosions willy-nilly into the fray. Past 100% and my 'Icing Death' wielding killer is actually healing damage from all the fire being thrown about! I'm not saying that -2 AC is bad, but I love me some fire resistance!

'Spider Bane +2' is pretty beastly itself, especially when your fighting, ghouls, ghasts or your spell casters are spamming 'Web' spells. Don't forget about the 'Staff of Striking' either, if you have a backstabber with quarterstaff it's just a boss killer, plain and simple.

'Twinkle', 'Icing Death', 'Spider Bane' or the 'Staff of Striking', the best weapon is definitely one of those four.

*Strangely enough 'Flametongue' is a better weapon than all four in BG2EE, but is not utilized properly/needed for BGEE. (Elemental damage, +4 vs undead etc are all extremely useful in Amn, but not really needed in Sword Coast.)
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Usually I don't kill him. But I do sometimes...
    SkarosejackjackGallowglass
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    I usually don't kill him, but the last time I went through with an evil Half-Orc Fighter Cleric I did... Used about 7 charges of a wand of Monster Summoning while pelting him with magic missiles, bullets, arrows, etc. Was a tough and close battle (had one charge on the wand at the end of it) as even with the summons he still got to my party a couple times and almost killed a party member on two or three occasions. Sad part is that party didn't have any need of the gear so it all got sold... Perhaps a NE Scimitar wielding Fighter>Assassin someday. >:)
    sarevok57Skarose
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I hate that character! So many cliches, inspiring so many insipid copy cats. I struggle to find ways to justify killing him in character while not also killing Viconia but his destruction must be assured
    jackjackSkaroseAerakar
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Settling things with that lousy Drow is still a lot of fun after all these years!
    { Yyrruenwe of Chaos (Evil Elf Ftr/Mge) has had enough of some fools angst.}
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    The tricks for killing him are rather silly and clash with the game experience, and by the time I would be high level enough to face him in combat... well, what's the point? Let's be honest, here... if you can go toe to toe with Drizzt and win without any dirty tactics, you were already good enough to win the game before you stole his stuff.

Besides, true heroes fight Sarevok with a standard club.
    SkaroselolienLoldrup