Skip to content

[SPOILER ENDING] It does not make sense

123457»

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Not sure we'd all remember stuff from 500 years ago, it would not be very relevant today. Especially in a world where magic is common place.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited June 2016
    Fardragon said:

That's how history works: one thing follows on from another.

So... do you not understand the difference between backstory and plot? Because I don't know how else to explain this. Crossroad Keep may be present in SoZ, but its backstory has nothing at all to do with fighting the yuan-ti in SoZ. Nothing happened in NWN2 that sets up SoZ, that brings the yuan-ti to the Sword Coast, that sets up your party's storyline. You could swap that location out for literally any other fortress and nothing about the plot of SoZ would change.

By the same token, no writer with a lick of sense would construct a "crystal casket" scenario for Skie Silvershield - a character whose development and relevance is wholly contained in an EE expansion pack that doesn't have nearly the canonical status as the core games - as a plot element in BG3.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yes, the only reason Crossroads Keep is in SoZ is to establish continuity with the OC, giving the world a sense of history, and making it feel more alive. They certainly could have used another location, but it was better to use an existing one which already had a backstory.

As for the "crystal casket" scenario: That is indisputable FACT. It is clearly stated in SoD, if you think otherwise, go back and play it again.

As for whether the writers have a "lick of sense" I'm not going to pass judgement on that, you have clearly already decided that they haven't. And one thing I can say with confidence: whatever happens in BG3, there will be a lot of very vocal hating dumped on it by some people.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    The INDISPUTABLE FACT of their being a crystal casket in SOD does not guarantee that BG3s plot is going to revolve around the casket.

They could easily surpass the narrative potential of that idea by thinking about any other plot for five minutes. In FACT, they should be trying to make the best game possible and if that means ditching the crystal casket then they should do that.
    edited June 2016
    There is a big difference between "involving" the crystal casket and "revolving" around it. I don't believe I ever suggested that the plot of BG3 "revolved" around it, any more than the plot of BG1 and 2 revolves around iron shortages.

I don't know, maybe it is a bad idea, although I can't see why. Doesn't change the fact that Beamdog must have put it in for a reason. Maybe you will hate BG3. Maybe I will hate BG3. I'm sure some people will hate BG3.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Fardragon said:

I'm sure some people will hate BG3.

This is all we can say for certain. LMAO!

• OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    Has anybody pointed out yet that this is actually the second time you get framed for murder?

Sarevok frames you for murdering the Iron Throne leaders in Candlekeep. The residents of Candlekeep, who have known you your whole life, decide the take the word of some random stranger over you. Those that believe you are innocent don't seem to believe you will get a fair trial, so they help you escape.

This is simply history repeating itself. People at large simply don't trust the Bhaalspawn. Your enemies are taking advantage of that.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited June 2016
    OUT51D3R said:

Has anybody pointed out yet that this is actually the second time you get framed for murder?

Sarevok frames you for murdering the Iron Throne leaders in Candlekeep. The residents of Candlekeep, who have known you your whole life, decide the take the word of some random stranger over you. Those that believe you are innocent don't seem to believe you will get a fair trial, so they help you escape.

This is simply history repeating itself. People at large simply don't trust the Bhaalspawn. Your enemies are taking advantage of that.

If it makes any difference, Tethtoril trusts you. Ulraunt is a haughty, uptight a$$, plain and simple, some LN aligned people are, besides, he barely tolerated Charname's presence ever since Gorion brought him/her to Candlekeep, according to one of the dreams you have. Everyone else in Candlekeep is unaware of your predicament, and there is no way to know if they do know of your predicament because once you leave Candlekeep, you can't get back in.
  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    That's true. The point is though, people are quite quick to jump on the "CHARNAME is a murderer!" bandwagon. The ending of Siege is consistent with what we've seen previously. Plenty of people believe that CHARNAME killed the Iron Throne leaders, with very thin evidence. You were basically determined guilty there until you prove your innocence. Same thing happens at the end of Siege, except Irenicus ends up denying you the opportunity to prove your innocence.
    Yeah, but I did kill them...

(At least sometimes)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I disagree with that line of view - Flaming Fist aside, no civilian besides Aldeth seems too concerned with having you arrested, and even the Fist officers themselves don't seem to buy into the whole idea and seem more along the lines of following orders - albeit from a highly corrupt superior. It's far from the reaction you get from the end of SoD. Then again, this was before CHARNAME's heritage was public knowledge so I can buy that the SoD-end response was appropriate.