Skip to content

Meta-Gaming the Forum: The coveted 5 badges badge

Hi newcomers,

As you may be looking in amazement at some of old timer forumites, what with all their comments, and points, and badges. You may think to yourself, "Wow. I'd like to be that well respected and liked in this community."

Well I have good news for you, although you probably won't be an all time leader with tens of thousands of likes on your posts, a new member is the perfect time to obtain one of the most unobtainable of badges, the 5 badges in one day badge. You get this badge by getting 5 other badges in one day.

First badge: Comment on something, anything.
Second badge: Upload a profile picture. It doesn't have to be you. Just do an image search on "adorable fish" or whatever suits your fancy, then go to account options and upload a picture.
Third badge: Connect with facebook. Pretty easy to get if you don't mind "outing" yourself to all your irl friends about how super geeky you are.
Fourth badge: Name drop. use an at character @ and someone's name. This is especially helpful if you are commenting on what someone else has said. It will notify them that you commented on their comment so that they can respond and "like" that comment.
Fifth badge: Comment 9 more times to get the 10 comments badge. Don't spam comments though. Use that gord of yours to interact in a constructive way.

Viola. Instant Forum Cred.

More badges.
There is also a "5 likes", "5 agrees", and "5 insightful" badge.

The 5 likes badge is pretty easy if you just introduce yourself here in this members welcome spot. Just say "Hi, this is [some stuff about me and why i am posting here.]", tell your forum story or tell your first expierence with BG. (Telling your forum story works well with namedropping.)

I try to be funny, so i get more likes than agrees or insightfuls, so I don't have as much insight about how to get those. Perhaps focus on popular threads, such as unpopular opinions. I also find that insights on roleplaying aspects such as how to play alignments of certain classes can create fun debate and mild polarization/agrees.

In any case, try to be insightful and creative. Be generous with your own clicks on other people's comments. Comment on this thread if you have any more tips or if you have success.

If you pull it off you'll be that toast of the town. Good luck!
RodriansparkleavRavenslightJuliusBorisovNonnahswriterlolienCrevsDaakwubbleAnduinAtrophiederic

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016
    This will drive @elminster up the wall.... :D
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Excellent, @shandyr, yes twitter badge. Just like facebook connector, except w/twitter.

Yes, very easy if you have the knowledge. Even after spelling it out though, I imagine most will miss this post before it's too late. Too late for me, but perhaps i can get that vicarious sense of achievement if I can help someone else to do this.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
    Oh no! Have I become the villain from The Incredibles who said, "And if everybody is special, then no one is." What have I done!?

OTOH, everybody flying around with zero point energy rocket boots might be a pretty cool world.
    sparkleavlolienCrevsDaak

Visiting forum at least 5 days a week is a plus, of course ;)

5 days a week. Like, a standard work week? Someone likes to visit the forums at work it seems... Its almost as if you're making a career out of this...? :smile:
    sparkleavJuliusBorisovmf2112lolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! We need :cookie:s...
    mf2112[Deleted User]FinnTheHumanlolien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sparkleavNimranlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Vulchor has managed to get 5 badges today. They should get the combo breaker badge.
    FinnTheHumanmf2112
  • VulchorVulchor Member Posts: 9

@Vulchor has managed to get 5 badges today. They should get the combo breaker badge.

Is there a such thing? I'd like it. Badges are fun way to increase interaction in forums.
    FinnTheHumanlolien
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Vulchor said:

Is there a such thing? I'd like it. Badges are fun way to increase interaction in forums.
    There is indeed, maybe @Dee can look into it further if @JuliusBorisov is correct.
  • JUNKdeLUXEJUNKdeLUXE Member Posts: 2
    Earning the what now? and just what is it used for? besides some illusion that a badge matters to anyone?
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I'm still working on a bot system, that increase one of my discussion visit count to 1 000 000 .
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
    @Vulchor welcome! Have a :cookie:!
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    So, is the combo breaker badge still a thing?
    I just did a comprehensive "welcome to the forums tour", and ended up with 6 or 7 new badges in a 24 hour span.

Nonetheless, glad to meet you all, and I'll be seeing you around!
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Yes, and i think @dCLCp earned it too with the four annivarsery badge and a little help. However the combo-breaker badge works not automatically, so you have to wait until someone like JuliusBorisov give it to you manually.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    santa has got to love coming to nimram's house with all those cookies he has :)
    lolienNimranCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    lolien said:

Yes, and i think @dCLCp earned it too with the four annivarsery badge and a little help. However the combo-breaker badge works not automatically, so you have to wait until someone like JuliusBorisov give it to you manually.

Thanks for the info!
    I shall humbly wait for @JuliusBorisov to review my deeds and determine whether or not my name is worthy to be inscribed in your rolls of honor! :smiley:
    lolienCrevsDaak
    ber5nie5 said:

santa has got to love coming to nimram's house with all those cookies he has :)

@ber5nie5 oh, he does. He even complimented my holiday :cookie:s, though I never told him my secret recipe included Rudolph's meat lots of love.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @dCLCp and @taclane - Congratulations! Badges are given!

But the important thing here is you actually enjoying the forum life! Happy foruming!
    CrevsDaaklolientaclane
    @JuliusBorisov

Many thanks! See everyone around! :smile:

And thus I ascend from noob... to Legend!
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolienFinnTheHuman
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    @FinnTheHuman - Thank you so much for this post! Now I too can pursue those badges! Because I *do* need those stinking badges!
    lolien
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2018
    @FinnTheHuman had no idea this kind of thing existed!
    Atrophiedericlolien