Skip to content

The German Dub - We are still waiting.

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
edited June 2016 in Feature Requests
Alright, real talk.

It has been over two years now since BG2:EE has been released.
And after countless patches, the German dub still hasn't been re-included in the game.

Usually I don't care much for dubs, but the thing with the BG2 dub is ... that for a few exceptions, it's actually better than the original English version imo. A lot of us German speaking players have literally grown up with that version. It's iconic and arguably one of the best game dubs out there in general.

I think you will understand why a lot of us folks here are pretty salty about the voices still missing.
I am not saying that you should half-ass the EE voices. Please no. The new guys have to be on par with the old ones or it will ruin it. But at the very least, you could re-include the old ones and fill up the new ones with the English versions.

This has already been discussed on the German subforums, but we have been completely ignored there, which is why I am coming here.

So please, Beamdog.
Give us our dub back.
Post edited by Buttercheese on
NaturalBornKielervolneb83TingellolienMarvynHeinrichBhaalKampfKaninchenKlinge[Deleted User]CrevsDaakKamigoroshiRoHBelegCuthalion

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I've tried similar route, but with Polish dub. I'm sorry to say this, but it's utterly useless.
    ButtercheeseCrevsDaak
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    - I support the motion! :smile:
    - I think that @KeithS should be aware of this.
    - And I think that Beamdog should be aware that there is still a rather active German community around. While the activity in the German forums here is negligible, in the German fan forums the regulars are still hanging around (and have been uttering the same complaint for years)
    Buttercheese
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited June 2016
    @TrentOster
    Yes, it's the original localized VO :)
    ButtercheeseHeinrichBhaalCrevsDaak
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited June 2016
    Yup, it's the official one.
    Got some of the most renowned voice actors on board the country has to offer.
    (Fun fact, there is actually one single character which hasn't been dubbed, it's Lord Skarmaen Alibakkar, he stayed English even in the German version for some reason.)
    CrevsDaak
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    Well, She IS a witch and a liar!
    CrevsDaak
    That's the other one :tongue:
    CrevsDaak
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Hey guys. When you refer to dub are you referring to the original localized VO or a fan created set? If you are referring to the original VO, we can definitely do something.

-Trent

But you can't do something with Polish one, if my memory serves.
    ButtercheeseCrevsDaak
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@booinyoureyes
    I don't know if I should high five you or if I should slap you for this.

In the end, are they not both the same thing?
    ButtercheeselolienCrevsDaakGrammarsalad
  • volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
    edited June 2016
    Maybe @WhiteAgnus can give some assistance with the audio files. If I remember correctly, he improved the German audio files by removing noise and normalizing the volume.
    ButtercheeseHurricane
  • HeinrichBhaalHeinrichBhaal Member Posts: 15
    Push.
    Im still waiting.
    Buttercheese
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    I'd love to have this too (German for my, but sympathies for all others too).

We are talking about the German original voice overs from bg2:soA and bg:tob.

We are aware there won't be german voice overs for the new ee characters then, so they'd be muted or just be the english ones mixed with original germans. But the originals are worth that loss, also it's kind of odd to have German text bit no German voices which is the current situation.

There is an unofficial patch by whiteangus that installs the original voice overs, which is fine of course, but I was expecting to get the German voices to be included actually.
    ButtercheeseHeinrichBhaal
    @Buttercheese maybe editing the posts title would attract more german users here ... I found this by mere chance.
    ButtercheeseNaturalBornKieler
    Not sure this was done already but i could not find it, so I created a redmine feature request for this, and it was already moved to the internal system. High hopes we'll see this sooner or later in the game :) at least it's registered as a feature request now.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • SeraryaSerarya Member Posts: 7
    Hey there,

I'm an old BG veteran and I love to replay your game. After searching for the whole german localisation I was forwarded to this thread. I would love to hear the german sound files in BG2 (at least because I already HAVE the germany sound files with my original BG2) and I hope you can do someting about this.

Who is responsible to give an official answer in this case, due it looks like this improvement is on the agenda for now about 2 years.
    Buttercheese
    @Serarya I guess there will not be an official statement this will happen, as it would be broken promises if it did not for some reasons. But with the public redmine feature request added to the internal tracker, we at least know this wish is on their table and they will evaluate legally (copyright of the recordings) and technically (implementation and how to handling missing voice overs that just have no German recording).
    Of course I really hope this is going to happen.

If you are interested in the unofficial mod, visit the kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu forum.
  • KlingeKlinge Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2016
    *push*
  • KlingeKlinge Member Posts: 31

Hey guys. When you refer to dub are you referring to the original localized VO or a fan created set? If you are referring to the original VO, we can definitely do something.

-Trent

Beamflop is just a bunch of sleeping pills. After two years they aren't able to implement the original VO. Haha sad Company. C#mon Trent you are a storyteller just waiting to archive this thread like the years before. ;-)
    edited September 2016
    You kinda make it sound like the German dub is delayed because of the Polish dub which in all honesty doesn't seem fair.
    This is very disapointing and I am honestly not okay with that :/
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    No, what Trent is saying is that everyone in the studio is allocated at this particular moment, but they have found out the German VO ownership (which is the principal thing here) so as soon as free time appears it will be included into the work.
    mf2112
    edited September 2016
    I am still disapointed :/
    At this point it will probably never happen.
    Meh.
  • NekanNekan Member Posts: 5
    What's the status ??? I'm also a huge fan of the german voices & waiting with downloading BG 2 EE until german version is available.. :/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    I have to agree, an update about the current situation would be really appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • RoHRoH Member Posts: 1
    It's mid-June 2017 now, please do not ignore your community!

Are you working on it?
    If so: Can you approx tell us when it will be released?

Please!