Skip to content

Has Siege of Dragonspear Failed?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    thank you
    JuliusBorisov
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523

do you have a source for those steam sales?

http://steamspy.com/dev/Beamdog

BGEE: 522,751 ± 17,797 owners
    BG2EE: 329,899 ± 14,142 owners
    IWDEE: 86,966 ± 7,264 owners

those don't include Beamdog, GOG, Mac App Store, Google Play, and iTunes App Store sales.
    That's more copies than I would have thought. That's fantastic!!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Haven't found any newer info for Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian hides the PoE stats on SteamSpy), but PoE hit 500,000 in sales back in October.

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-23-10-500k-units-of-pillars-of-eternity-have-now-been-sold
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited June 2016
    @AstroBryGuy This thread is about SoD. Can you show the numbers for that?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

@AstroBryGuy This thread is about SoD. Can you show the numbers for that?

Because SOD is a DLC in Steam, the numbers aren't really tracked in that way.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    SteamSpy does not have separate figures for DLC. But, it does show that the number of BGEE owners jumped from ~480,000 before SoD's launch to ~530,000 afterwards (current # of owners is 537,000). As to how many of those BGEE owners bought SoD, I do not know.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    bleusteel said:

those don't include Beamdog, GOG, Mac App Store, Google Play, and iTunes App Store sales.
    The Icewind Dale sales figures are criminal though.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Yeah, I'm surprised that BG1 has so many more sales than IWD.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    spacejaws said:

bleusteel said:

The Icewind Dale sales figures are criminal though.
    I don't think IWD players are playing through Steam.
    ButtercheeseArdulJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if most IWD players have the GOG version instead.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    SoD is awesome!!! I am so happy they've made it, I care not about negative reviews or players crying about touchy subjects. Let it go people, enjoy the bloody game!

(Oh, poor me, I can't enjoy the game, cause I have 9 wisdom and not 10 cry cry, oh I can't enjoy the game, cause I know that some Mizhena dude exists somewhere in the game blah blah etc. Btw, have you seen many black characters throughout entire series?:))

SoD brought something new to BG series, and it feels fantastic, I've always wanted something like this, it's kinda got a Mass Effect feel to it.

One of my wishes came through, now I got two more wishes left:

1) Something to do with travelling by ship, visiting islands, city ports etc. like Balduran, plus actually having a ship as a stronghold.

2) Baldur's Gate 3!!! And, I imagine it beginning with a player starting out as Bhaal, actually being in Bhaal form in his own plane (or whatever), attending to his duties etc. and then due to some reason deciding to descend to 'Earth'/Toril ^____^ in a human form (your old/new character)...smth like that ;)

Oh, and the last thing! I AM unhappy about one thing - they've made some nice items which are supposed to enrich the gameplay for different kits, but low level constrains just do not allow certain things to be implemented how they should be, and simply not to have those items in BG2 is a crime!!!

Why, oh why is it so hard to come up with some idea like, for example : yes you got kidnapped, yes your possessions were stolen and sold off, but could you find the buyers? Could you somehow find your old items being in someone's possession throughout BG2? Sure, you could! Few quests could be even added for it, other items probably could be found in strange places, maybe in cook's pockets etc.

Oh yes, you could! I am convinced that those SoD items must be in BG2! >.<
    sparkleav
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited June 2016
    @iNtu
    Some items do transfer to BG2 if you import a SoD savegame.

Also, @Edvin's item pack mod (component F) adds a few more.
    He also asked for suggestions of SoD items that people would want to see in BG2, so if there are specific ones that you miss, mention it in that thread...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    iNtu said:

Baldur's Gate 3!!! And, I imagine it beginning with a player starting out as Bhaal, actually being in Bhaal form in his own plane (or whatever), attending to his duties etc. and then due to some reason deciding to descend to 'Earth'/Toril ^____^ in a human form (your old/new character)...smth like that ;)

I would not like this.
    mylegbigJediMindTrixThacoBell
    iNtu said:

2) Baldur's Gate 3!!! And, I imagine it beginning with a player starting out as Bhaal, actually being in Bhaal form in his own plane (or whatever), attending to his duties etc. and then due to some reason deciding to descend to 'Earth'/Toril ^____^ in a human form (your old/new character)...smth like that ;)

No. Just no. If I wanted to do this, I'd go play "Black and White". D&D gods are not something I want to play as.
    FinneousPJPurudayaThacoBell
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited June 2016
    ... can we romance Cyric?
    And will Mark Meer voice him again like back in ToB?
    NonnahswriterbrusThacoBell
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/65193371

This sounds familiar to what's mentioned above. It's not an idea I'm totally crazy about either, but I think George Ziets could have made it work.
    brus
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    batoor said:

This sounds familiar to what's mentioned above. It's not an idea I'm totally crazy about either, but I think George Ziets could have made it work.

I like the idea how he would envision multiverse and the planes: Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus...
    This would add more interesting and deeper layer to the war conflict between races and characters.
    Moreover, this theme would hang to a thread between divine gods and (un)ordinary people in the realm. The planes would add different aspects and variety to it. I guess he would make it in timeline after the events of NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Maybe as an aftermath to the events in Plane of Shadow.

• drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    batoor said:

Really cool idea but don't think that would work at all as a game. Maybe a board game or campaign.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    iNtu said:

Oh yes, you could! I am convinced that those SoD items must be in BG2! >.<</p>

Yup, one of these days as we are adventuring along the Sword Coast we are going to bump into a merchant and when we look at his inventory we'll see all our stolen stuff. ;)

And on a fun note I "found" the Cloak of Balduran (that is not in BG2) but in Black Pits II - so I guess the Thayians bought some of my stuff from Irenicus when he sold our stuff. Actually I found quiet a bit of my original gear from BG1 during my stay in the Black Pits II.
    brus said:

batoor said:

I like the idea how he would envision multiverse and the planes: Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus...
    This would add more interesting and deeper layer to the war conflict between races and characters.
    Moreover, this theme would hang to a thread between divine gods and (un)ordinary people in the realm. The planes would add different aspects and variety to it. I guess he would make it in timeline after the events of NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Maybe as an aftermath to the events in Plane of Shadow.

The problem with this is, if you're going to add the Planes properly...you need to use the Planescape setting. MotB used the Plane of Shadow, but that only works because the Plane of Shadow is a reflection of the Prime Material Plane. If you're going to use Celestia, Limbo, Mechanus, etc.; then you NEED to change the setting. You need to consider monsters like Modrons, Aasimon, Githyanki. The PC needs to end up in Sigil: City of Doors (at least, if it's going to make sense).

Also, people misunderstand how D&D gods work. A lot of the gods have "divine realms", but their powerbase (their worshipers) is generally only in a single Prime Material Plane. There's only a few gods who have worshipers on more than one Prime world. So, Bhaal is only the Lord of Murder on the planet Toril. Erythnul would be the god associated with slaughter on the planet Oerth (Greyhawk setting). Zeboim basically fills that role in Krynn (Dragonlance setting) as he is the god of strife.
    Yes, one can be a worshiper of Bhaal, and it still "works" outside of the planet Toril. But Bhaal is only the deity of murder on Toril. That actually is something that is interesting about it if we go into the planes: there's worshipers of all kinds of different deities. And many beings worship no deity but hold strongly to an ideal or a belief.
    brusJustLeft
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79
    I would like to talk a bit more about Minscy, since hes so popular because some random phrase about adventuring. I already completed Siege of dragonspear few times and my god Jim Cummings did fantastic work on Minsc again, after what, 15 years? He managed to bring back good old Minsc with hilarious lines and his original personality that everyone loves.
    JuliusBorisovThrasymachuskillerrabbitsemiticgoddess
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The D&D rules really don't work very well at high levels. Even in BG2 before ToB you see a breakdown of thac0 vs AC. Trying to play at god-levels would really need a completly different set of rules.

Anyway, very powerful protagonists are boring. See Superman. Everything is either a pushover or a contrived weakness. Save those guys for villains, and start a new character at first level for BG3.
    mf2112
    Fardragon said:

The D&D rules really don't work very well at high levels. Even in BG2 before ToB you see a breakdown of thac0 vs AC. Trying to play at god-levels would really need a completly different set of rules.

Really, D&D was never designed for over level 20. Just about every edition's player handbook runs out of stuff for characters starting around level 17 or so. WotC doesn't balance the game for high levels.

That's why HLAs are such an issue in TOB, because the 2E ruleset was NOT designed for HLAs. HLAs were added by Bioware because they had to give you something for being "so epic".

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Can someone explain

does it mean that only 17k people bought it? IS 522 k the amount of copies released?

if I do 522k - 17k is the number I'm getting the copies of the game unsold?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Arthas Often you give the mean and stdev of a statistical estimate like that. So that is some confidence interval for the estimated number of owners based on some kind of statistical model. You can probably find more info on the source site.
    JuliusBorisovArthas
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

I would like to talk a bit more about Minscy, s. . . my god Jim Cummings did fantastic work on Minsc again, after what, 15 years? He managed to bring back good old Minsc with hilarious lines and his original personality that everyone loves.

Minsc was great ". . . we come for you anyway WELL. SCRUBBED. EVIL!

And it was a good setup for BG2 -- I stopped reading Minsc's BG2 intro some time ago --" 1, 2, 1 okay time for Dungeon Be Gone" but this time I reread the bit on Dynaheir -- a PC I didn't give two slaps about previously -- and loved it. Minsc is in mourning in BG2

And all the VO was good -- I think it was worth the price of admission just to hear David Warner say "lickspittle", man that guy knows how to convey contempt.

MandragoraThacoBell
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Fardragon said:

In simple terms, it means they think the number of people who own the game is somewhere between 504,954 and 540,548.

How did you arrive at that number? Not questioning, just asking.