Skip to content

What do you do when a character gets killed/chunked?

Sargon1Sargon1 Member Posts: 25
Just curious about what others do when their chars get killed or chunked.

Personally, I revive if it's reasonably convenient to do so. I don't mind paying the money; what gets me is the the prospect of undergoing the entire process of picking up all of the late char's equipment and carried stuff, distributing it among others taking into account space and weight, walking out of the dungeon, walking to the edge of the map, walking into the temple, reviving, putting all the equipment on, walking into the tavern, resting, walking to the edge of the town, walking back into the dungeon, and walking back to where I died in the dungeon. Play the sloth scene from Zootopia and simultaneously scratch the insides of your eye sockets if you don't share this view and want to get a better feel for how it seems to me. The annoyance is just too much to bear.

As for chunking, it almost always equals reload. No, I'm not finishing ToB without my game-long romance and only cleric in the party because Find Traps didn't tick or my stupid planetar got all silly and confused and cut her to little cubes with the Globe of Blades buff he's apparently too retarded to be trusted with.

So what about you guys, what do you do with killed/chunked characters when playing "normally"?
  1. What do you do when a character gets killed/chunked?49 votes
    1. Always reload. Ain't got time for this.
      30.61%
    2. Revive if bearable, reload if not. Reload if chunked.
      36.73%
    3. Revive if bearable, reload if not. Chunked stay chunked, no looking back.
        4.08%
    4. Always revive, reload if chunked.
      16.33%
    5. Always revive, chunked stay chunked.
      10.20%
    6. The dead stay dead.
        2.04%
justfeelinathome

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    It's more that I reload if I think I could have easily gotten a better result out of the fight. If it was something really big and hard that I'd stand a good chance of losing outright if I tried playing again, then I'll use Raise Dead.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Actually I only go through the hassle of reviving if the fight was very difficult and redoing the battle would be even more of a hassle than gathering gear and trudging to the temple.

The biiggest hassle in reviving for me is dividing up the equipment in such a way that no-one left alive is overencumbered. Especially difficult if it's a 'packhorse' like Minsc or Rasaad that needs to get revived.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Playing no-reload makes this complicated. I've had bad times with characters getting chunked late in SoA and having to proceed without them.

It's happened so many times it's lost its novelty. One time I had six characters chunked. It's no longer an interesting challenge to play with a weakened party; it just feels like a chore now. Now I treat chunking as a normal death, switching to multiplayer mode and importing the old character.

I might change my mind later on anyway. I don't change the rules in the middle of a playthrough, but I'll do it in between them.
  • proghead3proghead3 Member Posts: 65
    Reloading is for the weak-willed.
    catsarekacampSkarose
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    proghead3 said:

Or the RNG-scorned.
    semiticgoddessjustfeelinathome
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    If you're gonna reload if a character dies, you kinda might as well just play story mode.
    proghead3
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited June 2016
    Unless it is a very anticlimactic death, lying dying from a kobold arrow at the start of the dungeon. In that case I'll revive for sure and pretend I wasn't that stupid.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited June 2016
    In BG1 I'll live with it - it adds a little bit of flavor to the game to have to pick up other companions - and basically no matter the alignment - at least in EE, almost every character is replaceable - it used to be a *little* harder on evil parties to lose a fighter since they only strictly have 2 single-class types in the original. In BG2 it's almost always a reload because there simply aren't enough companions if you shed more than 1 or 2 to maintain a full party within one's alignment - and the probability that you'll get somebody perma-dead is MUCH higher lol.
    MacHurto
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    There's some instances where the chunked stay chunked, if they were only to fill in for a character that has not yet been available, for example. Also, currently on a semi-solo run with a shadow dancer on LoB. Other Characters have been basically canon fodder for him, when I couldn't manage progressing otherwise. Some of them chunked, some not, none of them coming back.

So, yeah, it really depends.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Depends on how I am playing, but usually, I won't go back to a temple unless I am done the dungeon I am currently crawling and in BG2 always carry around a boom (resurrection) stick for dead (or near dead) companions.

There are times when I challenge myself and leave companions dead and recruit a new one though, but those play throughs are rare.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited June 2016
    I never reload if I can revive.
    RE: Chunked. It depends on the NPC and how they died. If it's someone I'm planning to keep for the game, I typically reload. But if they died in an epic fight, I'll often let them stay chunked, as it becomes a glorious death, and I'd never rob anyone of that.
    DJKajurudstoltzfus
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

If you're gonna reload if a character dies, you kinda might as well just play story mode.

Some people still want the challenge of the fight though.
    NimranDJKajuru

proghead3 said:

Life itself is already filled to the brim with no-reload challenges, I don't need them in my games as well. Games are for escaping life and having fun, not for letting yourself get imposed by someone else's limits.
    Obviously, my original post was hyperbolic. No one is coercing you to play the game in a particular manner.

However, I do disagree with your viewpoint. Games are for adding spiritual and aesthetic value to your life, not for escaping it.

Speaking for myself, I find that the game became infinitely more enjoyable after starting to run no-reload runs only. For example, the last time I fought Firkaag, and my main character was blasted down to 10 hp after an unexpected lower resistance/breath weapon combination. The victory that followed was a hundred times more exhilarating than it would have been otherwise. On another run, I was romancing Aerie and she was incinerated by Firkraag. Obviously, this elicits a different emotional response, but it ultimately led to a much more memorable run than if I had used Power Word:Reload.

"Beneath the earth our fate awaits us, and just think, we shan't need go far to lie within our graves."
    semiticgoddessSon_of_ImoenNimran
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think some people here have a very sick disposition towards something as basic as loading the game. It's just like crime for them.

Whatever. Have fun time telling your grandchildren how badass you were by not reloading in the future.
    O_Bruce said:

Whatever. Have fun time telling your grandchildren how badass you were by not reloading in the future.

Ok, I will.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    It is a game after all and there is no right or wrong way to play. Everyone can make their own choices and can enjoy their own way without others being wrong.
    jackjackVbibbi
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2016
    In BG2, I just cntrl-R or use the wand of ressurection after the battle/level/map area is finished. I have not ressurected at a temple in a very long time, though a great deal of that it because I'm really trying to play a solo game. I guess I'm just lazy, as the death of a squadmate doesn't really seem to do much but force you to walk back to a temple and return. But when someone dies you just lose too much time and effort, whereas in BG1 the game isn't as tedious, lengthy or management intensive. And naturally, I never save. I try to... I just never do it.

I know I'm supposed to save. Don't tell me I need to save, I already know. Yes, I know it's my fault that I didn't save. Yes, I tell myself all the time that I need to save. What happens when I try to save? I don't. I always forget to do it. Why? Because I'm playing the game.

Unfortunately, BG2 is just a merciless pitiless game when it comes to losing progress. Everything takes a long time, my machine is pretty slow, the battles are clunky, the level designs tedious and one-way. If you die you have to go through the same thing over and over repeatedly. It never felt that way in BG1. But in BG2 there's just only 1 way to go through all the damn levels and maps. And it's always longest way.

And I never save.

I have told myself a million times, yet I never do it. I just can't. I'm not even joking, but I will make a mental note to myself to save before a battle, and then 30 seconds later after preparing just go charging in. Usually, after the first round of combat, I think to myself... oh ya... I was supposed to save.

So of course, the only saves I ever have are the auto-saves, and we all know how far back some of those can be.

So ya... cntrl-R if the wand is used up. Screw it.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I realized while writing my comment that I picked the wrong option because I didn't read them all.

Pretty much always reload unless I have a Rod of Resurrection and/or resurrection spells/scrolls ready. As already said, carrying the equipment to a temple is too much trouble and I like doing some fights over again to try different tactics (and make that save goddamnit).
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    I think some people are getting waaaay too worked up over tongue-in-cheek comments. Relax, and don't take it as an affront to your basic personhood or the way you live your life. It's a freaking game. Calm down.
    Nimran
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I usually follow the ancient walkthrough advice: Reload and try a better tactic next time.
    lansounet
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    Reload in BG1, revive past that. However, I always reload if my love interest dies. Makes Charname too sad...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    The battle is won when my entire party makes it through alive. In bg2 I'll revive if it more convenient though.