Skip to content

Is it right to kill off Characters ...

Hi.

I love this place :D

I am currently on my "20th" first play-through of BGEE because I am always dissatisfied with my party at the start.

I want to keep it small so as to take advantage of the little experience you get at the start.

So...

After collecting Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira. I tried to reform the party and remove Khalid. The problem is - he always seems to asks Jaheira to go with him!?

So...

I went to the temple east of Beregost, and decided to let Khalid stretch his legs (heading Northeast). . . What happened next makes what happened to Ramsey Bolton the other day look like a petting zoo!

Jaheira just shouts at him saying how stupid he is.

But now, I wake in the dead of night, screamin his name, with cold sweats!

KHALIIIIIIID NOOOOOO!?

Am i going to miss out on anything due to his death? i.e. quest completion, exp, items, etc.
RavenslightSmilingSwordsparkleavfilcat88Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovMacHurtoBelgarathMTHCrevsDaakBlackraven

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited June 2016
    You shouldn't miss anything... and you will be spared Jaheira nagging him... I tend to have him explore upstairs in a house at Beregost, remove him, and then exit the house.
    RavenslightsparkleavMontresor_SPCrevsDaak
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    "Right" depends on how you're playing and what you did. Did you purposely send him off to die? From a RP perspective, that's pretty evil. From a metagaming perspective, whatever. Did he die in combat? Ok, well...that's sad; shed a tear.

Of course, canonically, Khalid is alive in Siege of Dragonspear and doesn't die until Irenicus tortures him to death.
    sparkleavCrevsDaak
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Well deliberately killing off members means it was 'premeditated murder" and that means you are evil >:) better not let Jaheria find out that you planned to kill off her hubby because of some dark desire for Jaheria. o:)

As you return to adventuring through the Sword Coast happy that you have gotten rid of Khalid the useless baggage that we was, you are unaware of events that are about to transpire to make your evil deed know to your party and to the world.

"@Spudulation you are here by under arrest by the order of the Flaming Fist for the murder of Khalid. Drop your weapons and come with us or else" (shakes the chains he is holding) - A small band of 12 Flaming Fist all armed to the teeth along with 2 mages and 1 cleric wait for your decision. The Captain of the band of Flaming Fist awaits your answer:

1) You drop all your weapons and surrender to the Flaming Fist (only to be dragged through the streets in chains half naked and gagged and then paraded in a cage for all to see as they drag you to Baldurs Gate to await trial and execution)
    2) Attack
    3) Flee (to another map as fast as you can) but obviously it won't help you
    4) Attempt to bribe the Flaming Fist
    5) Give a haughty laughter tinged with madness and tell them that you are a child of Bhaal and that mere human laws don't meaning anything to you
    6) Feign innocent and try to charm your way out of this

Open spoiler to see what happens next:

Regardless of your choice (the moment you make one of these choices) the screen takes a cut scene and Jaheria screams wildly attacking you from behind piercing your body with her weapon. As you fall to the ground injured and dazed Jaheria looks down at you and proceeds to kick you repeatedly. You attempt to speak but blood fills your mouth. Your last sight is her angry mad filled gaze of Jaheria as raises her staff smashes into you over and over again. Blissful blackness finally takes you as you fall unconscious.

You awake blurry with aches all over your body. You try to move your arms and head only to realize you are totally restrained. You try to speak but nothing comes out your throat is parched and your throat aches as if you have not had a drink in days. Your eyes see through slits in the mask over your face and breathing is difficult. You shift your eyes and turn your head as much as possible to realize that you are in a dungeon all chained up and of course totally unarmed. You are truly captured it seems awaiting trail for your evil deed.
    SpudulationFinnTheHuman
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

@Spudulation you are here by under arrest by the order of the Flaming Fist for the murder of Khalid. Drop your weapons and come with us or else" (shakes the chains he is holding) - A small band of 12 Flaming Fist all armed to the teeth along with 2 mages and 1 cleric wait for your decision. The Captain of the band of Flaming Fist awaits your answer:
    [snip]

You have way too much time on your hands...

SpudulationPK2748RelSundanCrevsDaak
  • SpudulationSpudulation Member Posts: 11

Making Khalid go naked basilisk hunting is a time honored tradition.

Haha!

Yes!! thats why this Forum is amazing!

Just Imagine the pose you could take before you get turned to stone!

Floppy Weiner on full display Hahah! *cough *splutter
    sparkleavSmilingSwordCrevsDaak
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Nice to see some much love for Khalid in this thread :D
    SpudulationCrevsDaak
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Well of course it's evil to deliberately kill off characters, but it can be fun to do it anyway when we've played way too much of this game.
    SpudulationCrevsDaak
    edited June 2016
    sparkleav said:

Nice to see some much love for Khalid in this thread :D

I had another dream about him last night ...

We were sat on the edge of tall rock, looking out at the setting sun on the horizon, late in the Sword Coast. Legs swinging vigorously,beaming smiles on both our faces and joy in our hearts! When Khalid Turns to me and ... DOESN'T STOP BLOODY NAGGING!! ARGHH!!

It Never ("Winter Nights") Ahem!* Ends!

Believe me ... the feelings I have for this Half Elf? (although could slightly be construed as latent homer-sexual tendency's) are far from Love ! I don't know how Jaheira puts up with it! He must be hung like an Ogre!
  • ancientclownancientclown Member Posts: 15
    I follow the 'Art of the Warrior' in playthroughs.
    "The 'Art of the Warrior' is not to kill, but to destroy the Forces of Evil."
    I don't kill Ragefast, even though he kidnapped a Nymph for love(misguided fool)...i don't kill the Goblins that don't attack me when helping my wild mage friend find a mentor...but those that show no mercy, shall receive none.
    Spudulation
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Is it right to kill characters? It's probably the most ethical thing to do with them. Would you leave them on their own, lonely, frightened, abandoned? Just imagine their cute little faces when you tell them you don't want them any more. How uncomfortable that conversation when they try to ask you why. Why don't you love them? Why are you leaving them? What did they do wrong? If you are a cruel heatless monster, then by all means let them live in torment. If your character is good, you must kill them. Its the only logical role play.
    Spudulation
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    And here I thought the Art of the Warrior was simply the Art of Warr.
    Spudulation
  • ancientclownancientclown Member Posts: 15

Is it right to kill characters? It's probably the most ethical thing to do with them. Would you leave them on their own, lonely, frightened, abandoned? Just imagine their cute little faces when you tell them you don't want them any more. How uncomfortable that conversation when they try to ask you why. Why don't you love them? Why are you leaving them? What did they do wrong? If you are a cruel heatless monster, then by all means let them live in torment. If your character is good, you must kill them. Its the only logical role play.

Nah...I just look them in their cute little faces, cradle their little cheeks and kiss them on the forehead saying; "It is time for you to fly on your own now little bird, and i won't shoot you out of the air with an arrow...but someone might, so be careful."
    scriver said:

And here I thought the Art of the Warrior was simply the Art of Warr.

Nah...in most cases, the enemy of my enemy hates me too and they both team against me. Has never served me well.
    The Art of the Warrior is for the individual and will leave all my enemies at my feet in the end.

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404

Nah...I just look them in their cute little faces, cradle their little cheeks and kiss them on the forehead saying; "It is time for you to fly on your own now little bird, and i won't shoot you out of the air with an arrow...but someone might, so be careful."

Monster!
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    The problem with a good group is that to have a workable team you pretty much have to take Jahalid or Minaheir but I don't want neutrals (bye bye Jahalid, I kicked you on my first play through due to Jaheira's moaning) and if I am a mage I don't want another mage (au revoir Minaheir) so you have to basically use every other good npc you find. If I ever do play evil I will want Montaron but will want Edwin over Xzar. So I think on duplicate play throughs ditching one of the pair is fine if needed to make the party you really want. This was clearly seen as undesirable as the system was dropped in BG2 and you can get rid of who you like without it impacting anyone else.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Well... is it right... that's a good question... for GOOD-aligned parties. Evil-aligned parties don't care, as you can hear in the NPC's comments:

Xzar at Montaron's death: "Montaron! I... never loved you."
    Montaron at Xzar's death: "And the mad wizard falls! Spares me the trouble."

Gotta love those two.

So, if you are asking whether something is right, then you are role-playing, and if you are role-playing a good or neutral alignment, then no, it's not right to murder someone just to free up party space. So there's your answer. You are stuck with those couples. And a further reason why you should not break up those pairs is that it breaks immersion too. It is completely out-of-character to try to get rid of someone just because they are not quite creme de la creme at what they do or their personality could be more pleasant. So what? That's life for you. I remember my early times with Baldur's Gate, and it never occurred to me to try to manipulate or control everything this way. I just took whoever I liked more or less, whoever I could get, and played. And it was most enjoyable that way.

The point is not to be too clever.
    Spudulation
    edited March 2017
    Right sooo...

I believe I have found the best way to get rid of Khalid and Jaheira is.... to wait ... Keep them, until you find both rings of ... ZOMBIFICATION? (Meembeeer the name the name of this one?) and Both Rings of STUPIDITYNESS ("Disciple Ring" I believe this on is called) and march those two (Lvl 6 or so?) mother duckers straight back to the "Toooooooo, Friendly Arm Inn" amd Make that place a little less so...
    • NOTE TO FOOT:-
    • I don' t know? If? I came by double of each two rings by people joining my game? Or? If? the game has both double of each ring? But i am now under the predilection, it does!

P.S
    The nightmares have now stopped.

[Insert Picture Here: Of Jaheira, kicking the living, (Can i Swear on here?), out of Khalid!]
    Post edited by Spudulation on
    CrevsDaak
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    This question only becomes relevant if the characters are actually spoken to, right? 'Cause my half-orc, dagger-loving fighter/thief watched those two from a dark corner of the Friendly Arm for a bit before chuckling to himself and congratulating Gorion on his sense of humor.
    Spudulation
  • LabyrinthodontLabyrinthodont Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2017
    It's necessary sometimes in order to have the party you want. In my own current team, Khalid and Jaheira removed their armor to stretch and then tragically entered a house full of giant spiders. It feels silly to ignore them when Gorion specifically said to meet them, and sometimes I'm not sure if I want them early on, so I usually let them join at first. In the long term though, I usually lose them unless I'm romancing Jaheira in bg2, otherwise I'll get tired of them.

Dynaheir tragically didn't make it back from the gnoll stronghold. Dynaheir in particular has to die frequently, because I like Minsc and Imoen. Minsc won't leave Dynaheir. His mental state also makes Dynaheir's early death the most explainable in bg2 out of all the canon characters. When Minsc talks about Irenicus killing Dynaheir, I mostly shrug it off as the head injury and torture talking.

Imoen is much more important from a sentimental and narrative perspective, and can dual class to a mage, so unless I have literally no other arcane caster that I'm interested in (MC included) Dynaheir's spot is forfeit. Nobody needs a third mage.

Believe it or not, I actually like the canon party, but that's exactly why I kill them sometimes. I don't want to get tired of them during my non-canon play-throughs.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    If I am playing a "good" party and want Jaheira in the party, I always try to keep Khalid alive. But me playing a "good" party is a rare occasion and having Jaheira in it, is even rarer.

Long story short. I think that it is not right to kill him off like that if you are trying to be the champion of the light!
  • Jirayia2Jirayia2 Member Posts: 18
    If you played IWD then it's unacceptable to use NPC's, since they were made by someone else, I can trust my chars only. So yes, it is right.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I usually go by CHARNAMES alignment as to what they do. I never liked leaving one of them locked in a house. Just did not seem right to the the way pairs are fixed to stay together. Now yes, of course sometimes one does tend to wander a little to far ahead in scouting or my druid does not approve of one attacking a cave bear or the like. Then ,well, I tend to sit back and watch Darwin's Law play itself out, heheh.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As typically good aligned player, no, murdering your party members is not okay. :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    What I find strange about BG is that it is very unclear to me who are the good/evil NPC's from Charname's POV.
    I think the most unrealistic thing is presuming charname can see allignment.

You meet X/M on the road, they give you potions, they agree to go with you. In the opposite direction to where they need to go.
    They help save you from Tarnash at the FAI, how many runs have failed at that point?

Then you meet the "good" couple J/K.
    You hear them complaining about waiting.
    Yeah, they were so concerned about you they couldn't be arsed to make sure there wasn't an assassin waiting?
    How difficult was it for them to step outside the front door?
    Ask the guards to be on the lookout for you?
    Even, here's a radical idea, travel along the road towards Candlekeep in case you had run into trouble?

So you join up, and then J/K start a fight with the two who probably did more to keep you alive at that point.

Now here, as Charname, I would be very unsure who had my wellbeing at heart.

So you head to Nashkel, and you inadvertantly talk to Minsc.
    So there you are, just out of Candlekeep not knowing what is going on, it's not a big stretch to understand why you would refuse to help.
    And he attacks.

On the other hand, the evil red wizard offers you a nasty job, yet when you refuse, he leaves you alone.

Why and how does charname come to the conclusion that the game assumes they will come to and consider the cannon party the "good guys"?
    ThacoBellronaldoFinnTheHuman
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    It's only ever right to off Xan, because let's face it, it serves him right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @UnderstandMouseMagic - You seem to have missed the part where Montaron openly talks about murdering you and Xzar is a clearly mentally unstable lunatic with very poor nail hygiene :P
    ThacoBell
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I just use one of the mods that allow splitting couples. Now Minsc in convalescing under Galena's care and my inquisitor is sharing a bedroll with Dynaheir. :D
    ThacoBell