Skip to content

PST:EE is next and here is why:

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
Alright, so I just had the realization of the century (just a slight overstatement):

Some of you might have recognized that a good chunk of the monsters in Siege of Dragonspear are from Planescape: Torment.

Now, doesn't Beamdog need the specific rights to use assets from that game for another one.
Like, for example, the rights to the game?

Beamdog had the rights to PST all along.
SoD's monsters where a deliberately placed hint. (Maybe)

It was right in front of our faces.
How could we have been so blind?

Mark my words.
After that super suspicious reaction by Trent and Phil from that interview (at about 1:21) there is no more doubt about it.
Post edited by Buttercheese on
brusdeltagomf2112PteranJustLeftPK2748NimranNonnahswriterkanisathaJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]CrevsDaaksparkleavThrasymachusmlneveselolienjackjackAnduincmk24AdulGenderNihilismGirdleNecdilzorKenji

Comments

• TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    I made exactly the same notion, when I read a review of SoD from Pelit-magazine :hushed:
    If memory serves, Ps:T had many encounters with the slimey blobs.
    ButtercheesePteranmf2112CrevsDaak
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    ButtercheeseCrevsDaakjackjackAnduin
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    You know what would be funny.
    If this was all just a deliberatly placed false trail the devs places Kojima style.
    I'd eat a broom.
    CrevsDaakAnduin
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Now would be good time to cash in on Tides of Numenera which is in beta now I think
    ButtercheeseCrevsDaakAnduin
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    That makes me sad if true. I like creating more personal heroes than offered by Torment
    ButtercheeseAnduin
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    PK2748 said:

That makes me sad if true. I like creating more personal heroes than offered by Torment

The nameless one is pretty much a blank slate, as much as can be in telling a story. Do you mean the companions?
    Anduin
    I think he's referring to his looks? I guess?
    Anduin
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    While we await, mercy and evil seep into the hearts of more victims.
    ButtercheeseCrevsDaakjackjackAnduin
    I'm referring to the fact that he is automatically a human - I never play humans. I dislike that he is a single class thief, wizard or fighter. I don't like being denied cleric and multi classes though kits might help. Finally, his appearance is predetermined and I think suboptimal. I end up with no feeling of ownership or investment. Ive ever been able to get far in the game because of it. I'd rather they create more new and original work
    Anduin
    Plus it's been a long long time but if I recall correctly the Nameless can't really wear armor, right? Making many styles of fighter pretty underwhelming
    Anduin
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Mark my words.
    After that super suspicious reaction by Trent and Phil from that interview (at about 1:21) there is no more doubt about it.

Yeah this was my prediction several months ago. They have a new original D&D game in the works, but its release is at least a year away and more likely a lot further away than that. So they're spending resources on this game but won't be receiving any revenue from it for quite a while. Meanwhile, SoD sales are going to be tapering off very soon if not already there. For a small company like Beamdog, they absolutely must have some source of revenue to tide them over until that new original game starts selling. P:ST EE is the obvious choice for that revenue gap filler role.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    God said:

While I don't particularly like the idea of Beamdog tackling PS:T, there is not really much that needs to be enhanced here.

I mean, if you leave aside the obvious possibility of making the gameplay part of PS:T actually any good. Which admittedly would be a hefty task to attempt.

(Also, there's probably about eight or nine hundred bugs to fix at minimum, just like every other IE game.)

(They could also just add Neera. I don't care how many people here would flip out over it, I'd buy extra copies to make up for their tasteless selves. A fifth voice set for Neera, hooray!)
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Combat, UI and journal overhaul would be nice. Even the DLC involving timeless characters.
    CrevsDaak
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited July 2016
    God said:

PK2748 said:

I end up with no feeling of ownership or investment. Ive ever been able to get far in the game because of it.

Of course. PS:T gives only feelings of being owned and divested, this being no error in design but an intentional decision. It is a great work of interactive storytelling rather than a simulation of a D&D session.
    In fact, the game's biggest flaw in my eyes is that it does use D&D mechanics, and in a particularly tiresome way. It would be a much smoother experience as a stricter point'n'click adventure, without all the tediously repetitive combat encounters and inconvenient inventory micro-management stemming from the use of Infinity Engine.

While I don't particularly like the idea of Beamdog tackling PS:T, there is not really much that needs to be enhanced here. High resolution support, smart combat scripts and/or a Story Mode are really all there is to it. Anyone could have it done by Indian contractors in under a week's time on the cheap.
    Came here to post this. I abandoned PS:T during my first playthrough because i wanted a strategic RPG like BG or IWD, and i enjoyed it a heck of a lot more the second time when I started thinking of it as a p'n'c adventure game. Its strength is the story, and half the time the engine and D&D mechanics just get in the way. If they want to rerelease it with HD sprites and built in widescreen support, I guess that's fine, but there's nothing to be gained from fiddling with the core gameplay and content.
    Post edited by redline on
    Godbrusjackjack
    redline said:

half the time the engine and D&D mechanics just get in the way

Actually, I remember seeing an Interview with one of the driving forces behind PST who said something along those lines. Let me see if I can find it again.
    brus
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    redline said:

If they want to rerelease it with HD sprites and built in widescreen support, I guess that's fine, but there's nothing to be gained from fiddling with the core gameplay and content.

Why not? The budget and time constraint hurted the game in technical domain. If Avellone would be involved, the team could even pull director's cut and improve every hard edge there is in gameplay mechanics and content.
    Nevertheless, PS:T being story driven game, it's remarkable for as it is.

EDIT:
    ^ @Buttercheese , there was a chat with Guido Henkel and Matt Barton talking about it.
    Buttercheese
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Someone please win lotto, buy Beamdog, and order them to do this.

Don't make me start a Yo dawg, I wanna pimp Beamdog crowdfunding campaign :D
    [Deleted User]jackjack
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    brus said:

redline said:

If they want to rerelease it with HD sprites and built in widescreen support, I guess that's fine, but there's nothing to be gained from fiddling with the core gameplay and content.

Why not? The budget and time constraint hurted the game in technical domain. If Avellone would be involved, the team could even pull director's cut and improve every hard edge there is in gameplay mechanics and content.
    Nevertheless, PS:T being story driven game, it's remarkable for as it is.

EDIT:
    ^ @Buttercheese , there was a chat with Guido Henkel and Matt Barton talking about it.
    I guess the "why not" to me is that there isn't much to be gained, and I'd rather see Beamdog focus on new content rather than continuing to pump out EEs.

PS:T is considered one of the best CRPGs of all time, despite its clunky mechanics and technical issues, because its gameplay had nothing to do with what made it enjoyable. Polishing up that gameplay might make it a little more accessible, but it won't add anything of significance to the experience.

In terms of content, unlike BG, whose mod scene has demonstrated a clear desire and opportunity for more classes, NPCs, quests, etc., the PS:T mod scene has been extremely limited: other than a couple of "unfinished business" mods for restoring cut content, there aren't any mods for adding new content to the game. I can only speculate as to why that is, but I think it would be a questionable business decision for Beamdog to spend a lot of time and resources adding content that no one has been asking for.
    brus
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I would be VERY surprised if we don't see PS:T:EE.

The only thing that I could see standing in the way would be some weird contractual/legal thing. You know how these things go sometimes...