Skip to content

Goodberry

What do you make of the 2nd level priest spell Goodberry?

I'm doing a BG:EE run through and, much to my surprise, I'm finding the spell really useful. Before this, I thought it was a bit of a dud. Now I'm wondering if I was just using it wrongly.

Basically, in this run-through, I've been using it more as a 'regeneration' tool - giving a steady trickle of hp over time. By this, I mean I've been storing the Goodberry in my characters quick action slots as I produce it each day, and as I'm playing I take a moment every now and again to scan down my party list, and bump up damaged characters health by 1 hp. This way, because I'm doing the healing in parallel, there's no real waiting around due to cast times.

Ok, it doesn't sound good having a 2nd level spell that heals 5 x 1 hp when there's a 1st level heal spell that heals 8 in one go. However, because you can store Goodberry it's never wasted; and because it's 1 hp a go you never have overkill (e.g., healing 8 hp when your character only needs 5 hp healed).

At the moment, my team is around the level 6/7 mark and I'm still finding it a very relevant spell. I imagine by the time you get to BG2, etc. it will loose it's usefulness, but for BG1 I'm finding it a solid spell.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    I rarely use it. I wish SCS's script would cast it and consume it automatically, then maybe.
    FinnTheHumanCrevsDaakjackjack
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If you could consume 5 at a time maybe, or if it cured fatigue or something useful, but otherwise I don't use it.
    CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterCrevsDaakjackjack
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Someone else on here on the forums mentioned that they always cast it before resting so heal on rest procs it for some extra healing.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I find them quite nutritious.
    Papa_LouCrevsDaakjackjack
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    As someone who never rests until I've used up all my healing anyway, I don't find it very useful. People who tend to rest with healing spells unused might find it helpful, though, since it can be saved up.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited July 2016
    Too bad you can't save enough up to make a pie.

Goodberry pie sound delicious.
    mf2112ThacoBellCrevsDaakjackjack
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    deltago said:

Too bad you can't save enough up to make a pie.

Goodberry pie sound delicious.

Goodberry :cookie:s sound even better!
    ThacoBell
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

Well, it's the only way you can rp eating.

I have never been able to trigger this conversation (probably because I don't pick up Neera), but:

Neera: Here you go.
    Anomen: What's this?!
    Neera: I was resistant at first, I'll admit, but once you brought it up, I couldn't stop fantasizing!
    Anomen: You...! But I...
    Neera: Do you want me to tell you what I imagined first? Shortbread biscuits with strawberry preserves! I know, I know. Not that creative...but so delicious! Then I thought about glazed pears, mincemeat pies, puddings, gingerbread...
    Anomen: But this sack! It's...
    Neera: Yes! A pound of sugar from Waukeen's Promenade. As promised. Get cooking!
    Jaheira: Anomen! I am almost embarrassed to request marzipan; it is so excessively sweet. But I do like it.
    Imoen: Heya, Anomen! Taffy is good! Plain old taffy.
    Aerie: Does liking shortbread seem too obvious, Anomen? Because I do! It seems hard to make... Good luck!
    Viconia: I hate sweets, but...hmm. Candied violets with anise seeds are not bad. Make me some, human.
    Mazzy: I would be no halfling if I didn't like cakes of all sorts. Bake me a seed cake, Anomen, and I swear I will be your stalwart sister-in-arms.
    Nalia: Oh, Anomen! I'd love some sweet spiced wine. Our cellars were full of wine from the Vilhon Reach that our cooks would make into the most delicious concoctions...
    Hexxat: Lean in, Anomen. Blood and sugar are surprisingly complementary.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Sounds like it's from a mod. One of those where we can talk to the NPCs and then ask them what their favorite sweet is, their favorite color, ask for a shoulder massage...
    jackjack
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    If I have Jaheira, I have her cast it whenever we're doing a double rest to identify items.
    CrevsDaakjackjack
  • DremorDremor Member Posts: 40
    here is my fix for good berry
    i made it less powerful than drinking a regeneration potion
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6gwotrfaxw86gqn/AAAlysIgwEu1TAP0ViTfwcvHa?dl=0