Skip to content

[MOD] W_PackMule for BG:EE & BG2:EE

Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
edited June 2014 in General Modding

Pack Mule mod for Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate (1): Enhanced Edition,Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition, Tutu, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Classic Adventures
Version 1.4
Creator: Kwiat_W (kwiatw.e[at]gmail.com)
Languages supported: Polish, English, German, Italian, French

CONTENTS
I. Overview
II. Installation and uninstallation
III. Known issues
IV. Acknowledgments
V. Version history

I. OVERVIEW

This mod adds a pack mule to the game. It will follow your party around and carry your equipment for you. To access the mule's inventory, talk to it and select appropriate option. The mule will try to avoid combat. However, it will defend itself if forced to. It cannot die. When badly injured, the mule will escape the area of combat and return when it's safe.
If you ever lose your pack mule (or you forget where you left it), you can use the "Call your pack mule" special ability. You can also use it to summon the mule into places where it wouldn't normally follow you (inside buildings, sewers and other such areas).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The game will not recognize items the mule carries as being in party possession.

You can buy the mule from a guy named Stedd, who can be found near the northeast exit of Waukeen's Promenade or in the courtyard of the Friendly Arm Inn (if you are playing Tutu or BGT, or BGEE). Haggle with Stedd to buy the mule at the best possible price. If you start a new game in ToB, the pack mule will be waiting for you in the starting area.

In the mule's spell menu, you can find three abilities you can use quickly to give orders to your pack mule. Those abilities are:
- Follow: this orders the mule to follow your party around
- Stop following: the mule stops following your party but will move with you to the next area
- Stay: the pack mule will become a neutral character (making it unselectable); it won't follow you and won't move to the next area until you talk to it and change this order

II. INSTALLATION AND UNINSTALLATION

Install this mod after any mods that add outdoor or dungeon areas to the game.

To install the Pack Mule mod, extract the archive content to your game's main directory and run "install-w_packmule.exe".
To reinstall or uninstall the mod, run "install-w_packmule.exe" again.

III. KNOWN ISSUES

Sometimes the pack mule's shadow can face other directions than the mule.

IV. ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

Thanks to:
Berelinde - for writing the "joining" dialogue
Miloch - for proofreading
ilot - for italian translation
Galathée - for french translation
Gerri - for german translation

Tools used in the creation of this mod:
WeiDU by Wes Weimer and the bigg - http://weidu.org/
DLTCEP by Avenger - http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=137
BAM Workshop 1 by Glenn Flansburg - http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php
BAM Workshop 2 by Andrew Bidges - http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php

V. VERSION HISTORY
1.4 (09.06.2013)
- added support for BGEE and BG2EE (separate release for BGEE will be discontinued)
- non english translation should no longer crash BGEE

1.3a (26.04.2012)
- added russian translation by Lihtenshtein (arcanecoast.ru)

1.3 (26.07.2011)
- fixed bug with incorrect bag size

1.2 (29.03.2011)
- added german translation by Gerri
- hopefuly the "blue box" bug is fixed

1.1 (18.03.2011)
- added italian translation by ilot
- added french translation by Galathee
- Stedd can be now found in Saltmarsh if you have CLassic Adventures installed or in Kuldahar if you have IWD-in-BG2

1.0 (27.02.2011)
- Initial version of the mod

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/47668-w-packmule/
Post edited by Kwiat_W on
NifftHooZafiroArchaicKasartificial_sunlightErgKirinaldoDarksheerSCARY_WIZARDleeho730Princess_SarahwintersJuliusBorisovSpaceInvaderCrevsDaakAedanjunk11Mercilec

Comments

• batenbaten Member Posts: 9
    Wow, thanks Kwiat,
    Now just need to wait for the Psychic Warrior :) and BG:EE NPC and I can start my next playthrough LOL
  • KasKas Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2013
    lol invincible pack mule very amused thanks !
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Super cool.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Hah! I was only part joking when I started a discussion in favor for this; back when dislikes were still on.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    II. INSTALLATION AND UNINSTALLATION
    It is not mention the italian language.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    For italian, follow b) as for french, spanish and german, and the language code is it_IT.
    Kwiat_W
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Great mod Kwiat!

This may be corny, but I like to think of my pack mule as "Bill the Pony" :-)
    Blagdan
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    I love this! I have always wanted something like this for my solo runs. Great work. :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I was suggeting to edit the post and add the instruction for the italian translation, that's it.
  • SojournerSojourner Member Posts: 42
    Yeeees. No more running back and forth to town every couple of forays.

Lucky mule, he is equipped with the Horseshoes of Inedibility, and Saddlepacks of ThisIsAllJunk. Hence, no worries about wolves, wyverns, or wreckers.

Much more fun than any "Bag of Holding", box, chest, sack, or case.
  • chevchev Member Posts: 1
    hi,

ive got a problem. I follow correctly instalation guide, everything seems to be fine, but when i try travel to Friendly Arm Inn game crashes. Tried on english and polish version. actually my instal.bat look like that:

weidu w_packmule\setup-w_packmule.tp2 --script-style BG2 --tlkin .\lang\pl_PL\dialog.tlk --ftlkin .\lang\pl_PL\dialogf.tlk --tlkout .\lang\pl_PL\dialog.tlk --ftlkout .\lang\pl_PL\dialogf.tlk --log setup-w_packmule.DEBUG

any advice what might be wrong?
  • GraoumfGraoumf Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 312
    @Kwiat_W : let's note that it's Galathée who translated your mod in french, not me. ;)
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    I have exactly the same problem as chev and it's only while installed with polish.tra, when english.tra replaced instead of polish it works just fine
  • RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
    [ar0125.bcs] ERROR at line 44 column 1-5
    Near Text: Error
    Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [ar0125.bcs]: Parsing.Parse_error
    Stopping installation because of error.
    ERROR: [AR0125.ARE] -> [override/AR0125.ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Parsing.Parse_error)
  • Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    What other mods do you have installed?
    You can skip patching script from this area by adding "--ar0125--" to "are_excl.txt". I would also advice you to use cheats to teleport to that area to see if it's working properly.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    My BG:EE hangs when I installed you mod. I've visited ar0125 before.
    @ALIEN I have just tested it and it works fine for me. Do you have any other mods installed?

There is however problem with polish translation, one of the tra files wasn't converted to utf and it causes crashes (but it is in no way related to problems with ar0125). I think it worked fine when I released the mod and changed with one of the game updates. I'll fix that in a few days.
  • RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
    Kwiat_W said:

What other mods do you have installed?
    You can skip patching script from this area by adding "--ar0125--" to "are_excl.txt". I would also advice you to use cheats to teleport to that area to see if it's working properly.

Thanks, the problem was another mod indeed. Solved by installing this one first.

Cheers!
  • RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    cute :)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    You need to work a bit more on the uninstallation routines. I tried uninstalling this mod and ended up with a giant mushroom named Pack Mule following me around.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Mods don't change your save games when you uninstall them. If you uninstall an NPC mod while the character is in your party (this is more or less what you did with the mule), or if you uninstall a mod kit that your main character is using, using your save games can lead to all kinds of problems due to the now missing elements.
    In my opinion, you might be fortunate that it doesn't crash the game, actually.
    AstroBryGuy
    Mod has been updated to version 1.4 which adds support for BG2:EE and fixes problems with polish translation.
    JuliusBorisovALIEN
  • geminibrunigeminibruni Member Posts: 276
    @Keiat_W this great mod Is it compatibile whit 1,3 BGEE-BGIIEE and IWDEE???
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    @Kwiat_W As of patch 2.0 your lovely packmule has become a giant walking mushroom :(
    AstroBryGuyMr2150
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AstroBryGuy
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    Wait until you hear the sounds ;)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    jobby said:

@Kwiat_W As of patch 2.0 your lovely packmule has become a giant walking mushroom :(

Does it still carry your stuff?
  • Xeno426Xeno426 Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2016
    jobby said:

Oh good, so it's not just me. Shame it hasn't been fixed yet.

The More Style for Mages mod has a similar problem with the customizable familiar portion of the mod. The Lim-Lim looks like a giant mushroom as well.
    Post edited by Xeno426 on
    lolien
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I can't believe @lolien missed out on the pack mushroom. ;)
    lolien
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    yeah 2.0 patch used the animation slots that modders used to use. They have to change something on them (use another slot?) I guess for these mods that add animation to work.