Skip to content

BGEE Recommended Mod list for new players

AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
For new players wanting to enhance their core BGEE experience in an immersive way while not significantly altering the original game here is an ease of use mod list with links.

Install in order of the links. Recommended to consult readmes for each install on compatabilty conflicts

~BGEE+SOD Modmerge tool: Mandatory tool to use Weidu mods with SoD Expansion
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

~BG1 NPC Project: Adds Banters and personality to NPCS and some quests HIGHLY reccomended
http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/

~BGEE Unfinished Business: Adds Cut content from original game
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=161&Itemid=114

~BGEE Quests and Encounters: Adds various quests
http://www.gibberlings3.net/bgqe/

~BGEE Small Non NPC Portraits: Adds Portraits to ALL nonNPCS in the game. HIGHLY recommended
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/55237/mod-minor-npc-portraits-for-bgee/p1

~BGEE NPCTweak: Allows you to move NPCS better locations and quickly alter their portraits and Kits
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58941/mod-bgeenpc-tweaks-for-bgee-sod-bg2ee-eet

~BGEE: Journal Fixer: Cleans up the Journal for Active/Completed Quests
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60029/mod-journal-fixes-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-bgee-sod-v2-2/p1

~BGEE Free Action Override: Makes Free Action not Cancel Haste as per PnP rules
Download Below

~BGEE: Blur Remover: Removes Blur from Cloak of Displacement and Claw of Kazgaroth
Download Below

OPTIONAL CONSULT README FOR INSTALLATION FOR INCOMPATABLIITY AND REDUNDANT ON CONFLICTING CHANGES

~Tweaks Anthology: Allows you to Tweak aspects of the game for Ease of Use
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48165/testers-wanted-tweaks-is-dead-long-live-tweaks/p1

~Sword Coast Stratgems: Enhances the AI/ Bossfights/ and generally the whole BGEE game. Recommended for those seeking a challenge.
SCS SHOULD NOT be used with first time players unless they want to test themselves. Without Metagame knowledge it may overwhelm you. That said, the mod is amazing and takes the game to a new level.
http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/
~SCS MANDATORY hotfix
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/732385/#Comment_732385

~NPC Kit Pack: Allows you to assign kits in game to NPC Followers if you desire
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43305/mod-npc-ee-non-player-characters-enhanced-for-everyone/p1

~NPC Portrait Pack: Replace Portraits in the BGEENPCTweak Files if you like my included pack at the bottom before installation of BGEENPCTweak

~Scales of Balance: Overhauls the entire Armor / Weapon / System in the game. Consult Readme diligently for compatability. Some people may not want the changes and prefer the vanilla system. Not recommended for first time playthrough.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33657/scales-of-balance-a-post-hac-tweak-mod/p1

~EEKeeper: Save editor Tool. Lets you Alter Proficiencies/ Kits / and Alter most aspects of an NPC. USEFUL TOOL
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eekeeper/

~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to all the Modders and their wonderful mods.
I hope this thread helps new players find a way to Enhance their Core BGEE game above and beyond. Many of these mods are used by long time members of the community and VASTLY improve the atmosphere of the Vanilla game.

If you do not want your mod featured here PM me and I'll take it down. Many players do not know how to mod or want to move into the trial and error but I feels to be exposed to these mods in an Ease of Use way they will fall deeply in love with the Game as we have.
Post edited by Anaxie on
Mr2150mf2112AerakarIronhammer33SssiksseilorThalamond587

Comments

• AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    I would recommend BG1NPC by Default for EVERYONE. in my opinion.
    It gives personality to NPCS. Xzar and Monteron are AMAZING with this addon as an early example.

Non NPC portraits too.

All these are enhancers of the core game. The Optionals are things like SCS which as stated is for challenge and Scales of Balance which I explicitly state changes the ENTIRE game.

This list is mostly about a core experience

Things like NPCTweaks moving NPCS would let new players actually FIND the NPCS some are too late or in random areas by themselves and probably never encountered by a new player. Like say Shartel or even Viconia.
    Borrro
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    I would agree with @Anaxie the npc project detracts nothing from the original game, it only enhances.
    Borrro
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I usually never mod my games on my first playthrough, as I like to experience what the game has to offer right off the bat.

So I agree with the previous comments. BG, SOD and BG2 are all amazing games on their own, and anyone playing for their first time should definitely play them through unmodded to truly experience just how great games they are on their own.

That being said, I soon plan on doing my second playthrough of the series, and have installed the BG1 NPC project to see what it's all about, but by no means did I feel like modding the game was necessary to enjoy it a second time around. These are all mods I've heard a lot about though, so it's definitely a good list for people looking for that type of thing!
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovAerakarMr2150
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I think the concept is a good one as there are a lot of mods and it can be confusing at first, but the point about playing the vanilla game before modding is also sound - that way the user will also really appreciate the changes the mod is bringing too.

So maybe have that as a caveat at the start of the OP. Something like: "I highly recommend that you play the game without mods first. Then, when you are ready to start modding the game, here is a collection that you might want to consider."

You might also want to categorise the mods in some way - eg mods that just enhance what's already there, mods that actually change content, mods which add new content, etc etc

mf2112ThacoBell
    edited July 2016
    each mod lists what it does in my header though @Mr2150 not sure what else to add. They also have the website link with the mod overview.

That said those interested in a vanilla experience probably won't be looking to enhance their games. some people don't have time to replay the same game.

I think telling people looking for mods to play it without mods first is somewhat redundant. If they wanted an unmodded game they wouldn't be looking to enhance their original game.

my thoughts.

I do agree though with an umodded playthrough you can appreciate the genius behind Bg1NPC and SCS and the portrait pack to the absolute fullest. Without it though the person may find the Vanailla BG experience lacking and just stop playing altogether. Most mods just help BG1 meet the standard of BG2. I feel its better for people to enjoy their experience to the fullest rather then quit if it isn't offering what it could had.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mf2112
    edited July 2016
    components say they add challenge to the game. It's at their discretion to download them.

I myself am doing my first SCS BGEE playthrough at the moment.

Ulcaster and Firewine was awesome.
    Ogre Mage Khrak was harder than vanilla Sarevok. QUITE PLEASED.

Might I humbly suggest my mod NPC_EE, since you list one mod that changes/adds kits for NPCs.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43305/mod-npc-ee-non-player-characters-enhanced-for-everyone/p1

It allows you to change NPCs' kits *in-game* - so you can, for instance, run Kivan as a Stalker in one playthrough and an Archer in a different one.

I'll add it soon. Easier than EE keepering it.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    A very nice list. Some entries I had not heard of before.

I would always recommend new players to make up their minds first before going into mods.

The bg npc mod makes some npcs feel different from vanilla. In some cases it adds very nicely to the character while in other cases they come across from a surprising angle that may not befit your interpretation of the character.
    Likewise with cosmetics and difficulty enhancing mods.

For second play throughs I am quite charmed by the item randomisation mods as well as mods that change vanilla items and spells.
    Mr2150ThacoBellmf2112
    edited July 2016
    Apparently PNP free action isn't working with BGEE?
    I found override files. Would anyone like them added for easy access?

~ALthough I don't have one for spiders bane unless someone can make one for me. Would be appreciated.
    Equiping spiders bane then boots of speed gives you the movespeed haste from boots. but you cannot recieve additional move and attack speed from the spell with or without boots.

ACTUALLY
    ~Boots of Speed working and HASTE not working with Spiders bane is a SIGNIFICANT perk.
    He can go same speed as others with haste instead of Ultra speed AND he doesn't get the Fatigue penalty from haste for the tradeoff of the attack per round.

I consider Free Action + No Fatigue + Boots Speed a significantly better tradeoff. How do people feel about that? Who even considered that?

~Ring, Spell, Flail of Ages+5, and all that jazz should be fixed.
    The file below is for BGEE Relevant items. AKA no Flail/ect.

I assume some people would want those files hanging around in here for simplictic access rather than combing the forums and google for such files.

Especially veteran players who skip Free action items because of the drawbacks. Why such a change isn't in Tweaks Anthology I'll never know.

~ Added NPC Kitpack to list
    ~ Altered list for Tweaks / SCS as optional components
    ~ Added WARNING to SCS

Post edited by Anaxie on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2016
    FYI, BGQE is "Baldur's Gate Mini Quests & Encounters" not "Quest Enhancer"
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i really don't get the whole don't play bg1 with the npc project mod your first run. personally i would not really play bg1 without it.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited July 2016
    For me, it's the same as eating a nice meal. You want to try the food first before you decide if you want to add some seasoning.
    Post edited by Mr2150 on
    JuliusBorisovAstroBryGuyThacoBellmf2112
    It boils down to what Doctor said.

Play with BG1NPC at a minimum and your experience will be increased immensely. If you have it on a second playthrough you will be wowed and slightly bummed you didn't have it in the first place in my opinion.

As for SCS. sure hard for a newbie to isometric DnD RPGS but god damn does it make the game amazing in every way possible.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't recommend BG1NPC for a first timer especially with SoD now since you'll be confused as hell when a romanced Dynaheir treats you like a near-stranger or when some characters are nothing like the mod portrays them.
    ThacoBellsmeagolheartredlineJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, as good as the BG1NPC is, its characterizations are off for some characters.
    Ardul
    edited July 2016

Yeah, as good as the BG1NPC is, its characterizations are off for some characters.

How? Isn't that up to interpretation?

Give examples

I don't recommend BG1NPC for a first timer especially with SoD now since you'll be confused as hell when a romanced Dynaheir treats you like a near-stranger or when some characters are nothing like the mod portrays them.

Safana seems the same / Khalid/Jaheria same/ Minsc and Dynaheir same, Viconia wary of surface dwellers check. Sooooo?
    edited July 2016
    Double post
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, Faldorn is waaaaay more bloodthirsty than any of her vanilla dialogue or voice clips would imply. Kivan is incredibly annoying though. In vanilla her channels Clint Eastwood and all his voice clips and dialogue are either fairly terse or vengeance based. The mod changes this to a depressive moper who dwells so much in the past, it makes me forget he even has vengeance as his main motivation. It was enough for me to stop taking him in my playthroughs.
    smeagolheartArdul
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    YMMV. I strongly dislike BG1NPC's portrayal of Imoen, but that's not the point. I don't think BG1NPC-Edwin is like SoD-Edwin at all, from what I've seen of him, neither do I think Dynaheir has the same character (although I do prefer mod-Dynaheir to her SoD interpretation). I don't dislike BG1NPC, but I do think it's had a bad influence on our expectations for how characters should be portrayed, hence why I would never recommend it for a first-time player. If someone new were to use it I would absolutely see the need to remind them that the characters as written are from a third-party interpretation and not official.
    ThacoBellmf2112lolien42tribez
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

YMMV. I strongly dislike BG1NPC's portrayal of Imoen, but that's not the point. I don't think BG1NPC-Edwin is like SoD-Edwin at all, from what I've seen of him, neither do I think Dynaheir has the same character (although I do prefer mod-Dynaheir to her SoD interpretation). I don't dislike BG1NPC, but I do think it's had a bad influence on our expectations for how characters should be portrayed, hence why I would never recommend it for a first-time player. If someone new were to use it I would absolutely see the need to remind them that the characters as written are from a third-party interpretation and not official.

Third fourth and fifth right? The mod was written by multiple authors if I recall correctly
    mf2112
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah for eample the kivan part of the npc project was done by the same person who did his bg2 mod.

really they had to be consistent with the characters that returned in bg2 everyone else was fair game.
  • HisterHister Member Posts: 15
    Thank you very much for the list. Encouraged me to say what the hell and install them mods. Was too lost in the sea of mods prior to seeing this thread.

I'm a first time player (played only to Beregost with vanilla) and wanted to spice up the vanilla. Modded journal tabs are of big help. I also installed NPC banter and minor NPC profile pics mods (they seem great). Also installed SOB - changes in it seem intuitive to me.

Would like to install the SCS mod to. Can someone please guide my hand with it? Since I'm a first time player I don't wanna make the game too hard so would be happy if I would be told which components should I install. Special care needs to be given to incompatibility issues with certain SOB modules.

Also, I suppose I need to install the fix after the main installation is done? How stable is this mod considering it hasn't been patched to the latest version?

And if I install it on top of what I already have installed I suppose I would need to install SOB again given it needs to be the last mod installed?

Thank you for any help guys.
    Mr2150