Skip to content

Has anyone had blanks appear in-game for strings?

13»

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609

Cahir said:

Maybe he's doing mod only for himself.

Somehow I think that's even worse. Is he going to go to other modders with compatibility issues and persuade them to accomodate his bizarre, non-conforming-just-because mod that he's not sharing with anyone else?
    Registering a unique prefix is such a basic and important first step to working with the modding community that I find it hard to believe that he would receive much sympathy from other modders, when such conflicts arise. Not when it is his deliberate choice not to do so. Most novice modders do their best to be compatible, at least to their best ability and knowledge at the time.
     TheArtisanmf2112
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

Registering a unique prefix is such a basic and important first step to working with the modding community that I find it hard to believe that he would receive much sympathy from other modders, when such conflicts arise. Not when it is his deliberate choice not to do so. Most novice modders do their best to be compatible, at least to their best ability and knowledge at the time.

Point well made. Give the lady here a medal. To me, this person's behavior is reminiscent of the school kid who repeatedly violates the dress code until the teachers frustratedly send him home, then complains to his parents that he's not being taught anything. You knew the rules, refused to adhere to them and the fault lies entirely with you.
    Ravenslight
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    I find some points made in this thread very strange. It almost seems like modders have to obey rules, have responsibilities to comply and if they don't then it's wrong, almost to the point of illegality. I very much disagree with this kind of implication. I believe that any person can mod any way they want, can publish the mod any way they want and don't have to touch it and update in any way if they choose not to for any reason. Really. IE modding community is great and absolutely has no need to judge people for how they choose to make mods. The mod's popularity will be the judge I think.
    Ravenslight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Pecca said:

I find some points made in this thread very strange. It almost seems like modders have to obey rules, have responsibilities to comply and if they don't then it's wrong, almost to the point of illegality. I very much disagree with this kind of implication. I believe that any person can mod any way they want, can publish the mod any way they want and don't have to touch it and update in any way if they choose not to for any reason. Really. IE modding community is great and absolutely has no need to judge people for how they choose to make mods. The mod's popularity will be the judge I think.

Thank you, Pecca. Unfortunately, these are not the people who can appreciate this argument. I, for my part, understand their concerns about compatibility, but that's not what this is about. It's about conformity. Well, the usual percentages about people and who can and can't do what hold. *shrug* They are pretty self-important and deluded and imagine they are some kind of community, when in fact they are only a club players couldn't care less about. And they don't talk business. Well, let's keep away from them. I only stop by here to see if my suffix of choice, _# , causes any technical problems. Apparently it doesn't.

Moderator, how about closing this thread before it turns into a permanent feature?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2016
    This is all about compatibility. The more content you create with your inefficient method the more likely it is that someone out there will clash with your mod. This is not a matter of conformity, this is simple logic and fact. This is the reason why not a single one of us here is inclined to provide you with any assistance. Why should we help someone who is more than likely going to screw some other modder over because of some illogical desire to 'defy the system' despite being given entirely logical reasons why the system exists at all? What you are effectively doing is dropping a minefield that we have to put in effort to avoid when it is entirely within your power to simply remove the issue, but for some reason you insist on blocking your ears and singing over our voices instead.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    edited July 2016
    I'm not trying to defend OP's reasons. I agree that using prefixes counts for both most effective solution of inter-mod compatibility and common courtesy among modders. I am simply saying that if a person chooses not to go by the community's mutual agreement it is absolutely fine to do so. It's not disrespectful or anything wrong I can think of in moral sense. And that priciple has nothing to do with some language and insulting tone of some messages that appear in this thread.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The thread is closed by the OP's request.
This discussion has been closed.