Skip to content

Who are your favorite companions in SoD?

I have only played IWD before, not BG, so the idea of swapping out a party member was new to me. Eventually I decided the guys I created were kind of dull and have swapped out all but two. I now of Baeloth who is awesome, his fireballs and horror spells have won many battles practically on their own, M'Kiin who is also great and fun to play, Volghin who is good and funny (but the damn Reed of Echoes doesn't work), and Glint who replaced by thief and cleric - also funny. Not as good as a full Cleric or a full Thief but that's to be expected. What of the others? I've heard there's a mad mage with a quest. I'm thinking about trading in Volghin for someone else. If anything, I'd like to trade in my Wizard Killer, but the game has dubbed her the Hero of Baldur's Gate so I can't.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    My favorites are Glint and M'khin, although I've only played once, and I didn't have room for M'khin in that party.

I think I'll always switch out Safana for Glint as soon as I can, because I'm not a Safana fan. (Nothing wrong with the character, I just don't like her type, never have.)

I've had a back-burner idea to try a berserker run after I get done with Grim Dawn. So that party will probably be me-berserker, M'khin (since Jaheira doesn't have much going on), Minsc, Dynaheir, Glint, and maybe Voghlin, since I've never tried him.

I almost always use the canon party for all of BG1 and BG2. (Canon BG2 for me is charname, Minsc, Aerie, Jaheira, Yoshimo/Imoen, and Anomen. Sometimes I try to use Jan Jansen instead of Yoshimo/Imoen, but I don't really see him as canon, and I can't stand leaving Imoen behind when the time comes.)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i really liked glint's personality he was fun. altho he acts less ng and more cn to me.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Rezkalla: In the Baldur's Gate series, you're actually supposed to only create a single character, who becomes the protagonist, and have the other slots be filled by NPCs you find along the way. Before 2.0, it wasn't even possible to fill more than one slot, except through tricks with multiplayer save.

Since there was a certain demand for the ability to create multiple PCs or even a full party, Beamdog has added that functionality in singleplayer, but it's definitely optional. If you do use it, the character that is listed first is the protagonist, while the others should be considered childhood friends of the protagonist, who, like Imoen, can be dumped for other NPCs.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Corwin is great. She will always have a space in my party.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    The best part of having companions is the conversations. They're all good, but I liked Glint's personality best. Minsc also has some very fun banter with a lot of characters.

I like M'Khiin, but the developers were lazy with her sprite. She always has an axe even when she's using a bow. It's not like there was not already a sprite for archer goblins. That's just a visual detail but it really bugs me.

Corwin all the way. A single mom character is fairly unique in video games. She is a military captain who can fight, and her kit and gear are borderline OP. She is all about law and duty, she's like a female Judge Dredd

Shoot, I forgot about Corwin in my picks. Definitely Corwin>Voghlin. I guess I'll never get to know the bard dwarf. There's too much powergamer in me to let a powerful archer go for a skald, skald song bonuses notwithstanding.
    I never took Voghlin simply because I found his personality boring.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Thels said:

@Rezkalla: In the Baldur's Gate series, you're actually supposed to only create a single character, who becomes the protagonist, and have the other slots be filled by NPCs you find along the way. Before 2.0, it wasn't even possible to fill more than one slot, except through tricks with multiplayer save.

Since there was a certain demand for the ability to create multiple PCs or even a full party, Beamdog has added that functionality in singleplayer, but it's definitely optional. If you do use it, the character that is listed first is the protagonist, while the others should be considered childhood friends of the protagonist, who, like Imoen, can be dumped for other NPCs.

That's not true, the BG series has always had the capability of using multiple manually generated characters instead of the one. That has been the case since BG1 came out.

Corwin all the way. A single mom character is fairly unique in video games. She is a military captain who can fight, and her kit and gear are borderline OP. She is all about law and duty, she's like a female Judge Dredd

Shoot, I forgot about Corwin in my picks. Definitely Corwin>Voghlin. I guess I'll never get to know the bard dwarf. There's too much powergamer in me to let a powerful archer go for a skald, skald song bonuses notwithstanding.
    Voghlin's actually human, not a dwarf. His portrait makes it confusing, but he is fully human!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited August 2016
    it's the helmet and the fact he likes drinking so much. it's like they wanted to make the most dwarf like human.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    However, he's a bit too lusty to be an typical dwarf. Nevertheless in my present game I used EEKeeped to change him into a dwarven fighter. I like his voice and attitude; I just don't want a useless bard when there's such a derth of frontliners in SoD.
    Bards are never useless, that's kinda what makes them bards.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Vbibbi said:

That's not true, the BG series has always had the capability of using multiple manually generated characters instead of the one. That has been the case since BG1 came out.

Correct, but you had to either play in multiplayer mode, or use tricks by moving your save game from one folder to another.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. It certainly was (and EE 2.0 made it a lot easier). That doesn't mean it was the intended style of play.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    BGEE is balanced for a party of one user-created character and five generally subpar NPCs who didn't min-max their strength score, weapon proficiencies, etc. On the other hand it is rare to encounter user-created parties whose warriors don't all have 18/xx strength (a massive advantage compared to Ajantis, Jaheira, etc) and mages who all dualed from fighter at precisely the right moment to have a massive survivability advantage. There is nothing "wrong" with this style of play and many users find it enjoyable to go with a min-maxed party, but if you don't bump up the difficulty level then you'll have much less of a challenge than was intended.
    One time I created a six-member custom party, and gave everybody straight 18's in everything, so I could stop obsessing over stat-rolling. I've never been more bored in my life. Absolute power in a game isn't as fun as you'd think.
  • FemShepFemShep Member Posts: 22
    Volghin all the way, but I would rather see Corwin again in BG2:EE possible expansion.
  • RezkallaRezkalla Member Posts: 20
    No love for Meera? What companions make good tanks?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    For my favourite SoD-specific companions, I would choose Glint and M'khin. Why Glint? Back in vanilla BG2 days, thrashfellow known as Jan Jansen proven to by so irritating that he made me lost my faith in Gnomes as the race. What Glint did was restoring that faith.

M'khin is interesting companion overall. She's goblin, which translates into few interesting interractions. Due to her class, she was able to use much more summoning/healing/supporting spells, depending on the situation, which made her useful. Finally, I kinda like her personality. She's a type of goblin/person that doesn't speak much, and when she speaks, she wants to make short, clear point. In this aspect she's 100% opposite of Jansen.

I liked Corwin at first, but then I stopped appreciating her when I learned about her ninjamancing my character. The fact that a mother with child decided to go full-way lesbian didn't help it - it felt out of place. Granted, I never finished her story arc due to her circumstances, but that might change in the future.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    O_Bruce said:

I liked Corwin at first, but then I stopped appreciating her when I learned about her ninjamancing my character. The fact that a mother with child decided to go full-way lesbian didn't help it - it felt out of place. Granted, I never finished her story arc due to her circumstances, but that might change in the future.

Why would that feel out of place? All people can be parents, no matter if they are LGBT or straight.

Overall, she's a great character. The conflict between her duties as a soldier and mother was compelling, but that's part of the job for a professional soldier and family-person (see Keldorn).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @O_Bruce: You'd be surprised how many lesbians have been married to men and had children with them. It's probably not as common now, since homosexuality is more accepted and people are more aware of it, but not long ago, many women lived their lives being attracted to women, but never realized it was an option until after they had already had children.

Gay men, too, would also often get married and have kids, even if their heart wasn't into it. It might be because of a social obligation (your parents keep bothering you about it) or to stay in the closet ("no one will think I'm gay if I'm married") or for a completely different reason (friendship, health benefits, alcohol, gold digger, etc.).

Loveless marriages, alas, tend not to be much fun, and in societies were homosexuality is still frowned upon, a loveless marriage is the only safe and legal option.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @AstroBryGuy
    The total sum of her "ninjamancing" and bi-sexuality was the thing. Ninjamancing even more so than her sexual orientation. I do not appreciate situations in which the character is romancing with you and you don't even know it - and what's wore, if said character's previous actions indicated lack of interest and/or pretty stable life situation.

@semiticgod
    Pardon me, but I believe you haven't stated anything I'm not aware of. In Corwin's case, her family situation and well, professional behaviour, never indicated her romantic interest towards my character, until she suddenly decided to drop the bomb. That's not something I consider "good writing".

Now, two last things. First of all - in my current SoD playthrought I intend to give Corwin a chance, so my opinion is a subject to change. Second - her being my favourite SoD companion is unlikely. "Professional soldier" type of character is simply less interesting than Glint or M'khin.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @O_Bruce: I wasn't criticizing you, for what it's worth. And I'm not defending the writing behind Corwin; I didn't mention it in my post.

I don't know about the suddenness of her romantic interest in the player, but when you said "The fact that a mother with child decided to go full-way lesbian didn't help it," I got the impression that, for you, Corwin being a mother made it especially surprising that she was not straight. I might have misunderstood.
  • randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2016
    Haha, I normally deliberately avoid all romances in these games with either neutral or negative responses, but Corwin's almost got me intrigued. Mostly because to me, she came across as possibly bi-sexual. Which, unfortunately for many straight guys like me, makes me think "oh yeah, any chance we could bring maybe Viconia into this for a little you-know-what?"

lol I'm sorry I thought it and then I had to say it. I actually do have Corwin and Viconia in a new Legacy of Bhaal playthrough I started. So far, haven't been able to arrange the kind of romantic action I'm looking for, but don't ruin it for me and say it's not possible. Anything is possible! ;) Maybe I just need to give them more alcohol. Man I've been giving them a lot already
    edited August 2016

One time I created a six-member custom party, and gave everybody straight 18's in everything, so I could stop obsessing over stat-rolling. I've never been more bored in my life. Absolute power in a game isn't as fun as you'd think.

Actually, have you tried it in Legacy of Bhaal? It can still defeat the challenge but you might find some challenge

I am using a custom party of 3 "main" chars, along with 2 storyline chars in a LoB run, and I had to re-load saves at the first crypt a number of times.

Your strategy tends to differ, it's like "ok, open with de-buffing them, ok now first wave of fireballs, ok now slow/root them, then second wave of fireballs.....ok then fall back to traps, let the traps explode on their face, ok now send in the summons! Ok, let's try to melee....oh god fall back to the back-up traps! Ok last wave of fireballs! Yay, first fight done!" lol
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

for many straight guys like me, makes me think "oh yeah, any chance we could bring maybe Viconia into this for a little you-know-what?"

Not with Viconia. Maybe with Dynaheir under the right circumstances.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

Haha, I normally deliberately avoid all romances in these games with either neutral or negative responses, but Corwin's almost got me intrigued. Mostly because to me, she came across as possibly bi-sexual. Which, unfortunately for many straight guys like me, makes me think "oh yeah, any chance we could bring maybe Viconia into this for a little you-know-what?"

lol I'm sorry I thought it and then I had to say it. I actually do have Corwin and Viconia in a new Legacy of Bhaal playthrough I started. So far, haven't been able to arrange the kind of romantic action I'm looking for, but don't ruin it for me and say it's not possible. Anything is possible! ;) Maybe I just need to give them more alcohol. Man I've been giving them a lot already

Yeah...I would not hold my breathe on the LG Corwin agreeing to sexual relations with the NE Viconia under any circumstances, regardless of sexual orientation of all involved.

Plus, Corwin doesn't strike me as the type to engage in sex with multiple partners. Being bisexual doesn't mean a person is interested in multiple partners.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited August 2016

Which, unfortunately for many straight guys like me, makes me think "oh yeah, any chance we could bring maybe Viconia into this for a little you-know-what?"

Um, what. As a straight man, I am offended.

I actually am not offended, but yours was a silly joke. LOL

edited August 2016

Which, unfortunately for many straight guys like me, makes me think "oh yeah, any chance we could bring maybe Viconia into this for a little you-know-what?"

Um, what. As a straight man, I am offended.

I actually am not offended, but yours was a silly joke. LOL

Lol I know. A guy can dream, right? Maybe pop that helm of opposite alignment on Viconia that I got from the demonknight and be like "hey corwin, viconia's kinda turning over a new leaf huh?" Lol I think the Internet has partly ruined me ;)

And I agree it doesn't seem like corwin's personality to go for that, maybe someone like Safana but her voice/attitude kinda bugs me for some reason. Plus corwin's kit is so much better
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Member Posts: 18
    Glint is like Jan but actually funny, Corwin is a delicious murder engine, and M'khin is a nice take on the bitter world weary character who can still muster up a bit of snark.

I'd like to have Glint and M'khin especially in BG2 because it would make the all shorty party available, with Jan, Mazzy, and Korgan. Adventuring with a maximum height limit would be a) entertaining, b) have a decent amount of class coverage, and c) ensure nobody bangs their head in the Underdark.