Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

New BG:EE Portrait!

1235

Comments

  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 43
    I don't think the different style is that big of a deal. People seem to forget that BG2 already had the problem of clashing styles. In BG2, all the NPC portraits were done by a different artist than the BG1 portraits, but it was still possible to use the BG1 portraits for your main character.

    Personally I think the new portraits are pretty cool.

    mch202serabietRisingsunlolien
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    You guys bring up good points. For example, I had no idea that this was actually Jason Manley. Let me clarify that I don't have a problem with the portraits quality-wise. I love the IWD portraits. It's not really a matter of liking or not for me though. I'd be overjoyed if this was for IWDEE, but it's not, it's not on the schedule yet. It just feels like everyone's doing their own thing without paying any homage to the old material, and that in the end you will no longer be able to distinguish what's Baldur's Gate-art and what's been found elsewhere. "Too many cooks spoil the broth", if you will.

    As for your point, @Majoca, I am no artist and thus have no idea how hard it is to copy a style such as Mike's. But the difference between using already existing fan-made portraits, for example, and hiring a real artist to make content specifically for you and your project is so that you can know with a higher certainty that the standard is going to be closer to what you want, don't you think? I don't see how Jason's passion, or anyone else's, would matter in this case. It could be a factor if he works for free, which I doubt he does. You've got to be able to ask for a commission from a professional artist without loosing out on the result just because the artist doesn't happen to like what he's doing, if he gets paid to do his best.

    And knowing what Jason is capable of, he should certainly be skilled enough to at least make a good attempt at copying the old style, if Beamdog wanted that from him. But seemingly, they didn't, letting him do things the way he normally does. If they wanted portraits resembling the original ones, they could probably have hired someone whose style would be closer to that of Mike Sass' to simply things, or to be more certain of what the result would be.

    You've made me change my mind. I'm not upset at the artist, and I was wrong in being so. I'm upset at the ones who made the decision not to be consistent, as if making an overhaul of a classic game is not already playing with fire. This raises a small, yet serious warning flag for me - I wonder if you'll be able to notice the same lack of consistency elsewhere, the new dialogue, the UI, the graphics.. it's unlikely, of course, but I'm no longer totally convinced.

    We'll simply see once the game gets released.

    MajocaKoson
  • BoozillaBoozilla Member Posts: 46
    I think having several differing new portraits in a multitude of styles to choose from, is awesome. I personally have endeavored to match Mike Sass's stuff, but like Majoca has said, It can be quite frustrating to simulate another's artistic style and color choice.
    I think Manley adds a neat variety to the existing portraits set.

    MajocaserabietRisingsunlolien
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Boozilla said:

    I think having several differing new portraits in a multitude of styles to choose from, is awesome. I personally have endeavored to match Mike Sass's stuff, but like Majoca has said, It can be quite frustrating to simulate another's artistic style and color choice.
    I think Manley adds a neat variety to the existing portraits set.

    My incredible powers of deduction lead me to believe that @Boozilla is the other artist and is indeed trying to do portraits in the BG1 style

    mch202Boozillalolien
  • ArveragusArveragus Member Posts: 62
    Whichever way you look at it you still have the choice of whether to use a new portrait or not. In some ways, provided that the portraits are not out of character, the more the merrier. I just wish that the enhanced game was available and I could just get on with it.

    Risingsun
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @James
    James said:

    My incredible powers of deduction lead me to believe that @Boozilla is the other artist and is indeed trying to do portraits in the BG1 style

    O_O Considering that @Boozilla has a BGEE Team Member badge, you might just be right!

    mch202
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Boozilla
    Boozilla said:

    Yeah, Hi, sup. I am the other artist working with Nat.

    ...I'm not gonna embarrass myself by getting all excited without proof. I need proof! I need portrait sample! XD

    mch202
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Syntia13 Don't need proof, he's got a badge. That's like saying to a policeman "Prove you can arrest me, show me your cuffs!".

    He'd make himself look really bad lying about it. :P

  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    Ward said:

    @Syntia13 Don't need proof, he's got a badge. That's like saying to a policeman "Prove you can arrest me, show me your cuffs!".

    He'd make himself look really bad lying about it. :P

    @Ward
    He indeed have the BG:EE Team badge but that doesn't mean he is the second Artist which is working with Nat, he may as well be Overhaul janitor, Hence we need a proof.

    P.S
    Why the blue??
    P.S.S
    J/k

  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @mch202

    As I said if he was lying he'd make himself look really poor, he's got no reason to lie. For all we know Beamdog is just a front for EA.

    You never know.

  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Ward said:

    @mch202

    As I said if he was lying he'd make himself look really poor, he's got no reason to lie. For all we know Beamdog is just a front for EA.

    You never know.

    *We are trying to squeeze a portrait-sample out of him, play along... * ;-)

    WardSyntia13
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @mch202 O I SEE NOW.

    Boozilla, gimme your lunch monies, or your portraits right now.

    mch202Syntia13
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Hmmm I am guessing you may have seen three of them already?

  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,031
    Ward said:

    @mch202

    As I said if he was lying he'd make himself look really poor, he's got no reason to lie. For all we know Beamdog is just a front for EA.

    You never know.

    Just failed my save on this... Terror strikes in and I flee :)

  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    James said:

    Hmmm I am guessing you may have seen three of them already?

    @James

    Of the 3 NPCs, I guess... But as a good human beings, we always want more :)

  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    mch202 said:

    James said:

    Hmmm I am guessing you may have seen three of them already?

    @James

    Of the 3 NPCs, I guess... But as a good human beings, we always want more :)

    Any minute now boozilla will pull off the scooby doo mask to reveal himself as Mike Sass, and then admit its really really hard to mimic your own style from 15 years ago

    mch202Syntia13Risingsun
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 382
    I think Rasaad's portrait is quite a lot in keeping with the art style. The potrait given to us in the first page reminds me of Icewind Dale a lot more but whatever, it's all good.

  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    It seems more like IWD's style of portrait.

  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    KolonKu said:

    You guys bring up good points. For example, I had no idea that this was actually Jason Manley. Let me clarify that I don't have a problem with the portraits quality-wise. I love the IWD portraits. It's not really a matter of liking or not for me though. I'd be overjoyed if this was for IWDEE, but it's not, it's not on the schedule yet. It just feels like everyone's doing their own thing without paying any homage to the old material, and that in the end you will no longer be able to distinguish what's Baldur's Gate-art and what's been found elsewhere. "Too many cooks spoil the broth", if you will.

    As for your point, @Majoca, I am no artist and thus have no idea how hard it is to copy a style such as Mike's. But the difference between using already existing fan-made portraits, for example, and hiring a real artist to make content specifically for you and your project is so that you can know with a higher certainty that the standard is going to be closer to what you want, don't you think? I don't see how Jason's passion, or anyone else's, would matter in this case. It could be a factor if he works for free, which I doubt he does. You've got to be able to ask for a commission from a professional artist without loosing out on the result just because the artist doesn't happen to like what he's doing, if he gets paid to do his best.

    And knowing what Jason is capable of, he should certainly be skilled enough to at least make a good attempt at copying the old style, if Beamdog wanted that from him. But seemingly, they didn't, letting him do things the way he normally does. If they wanted portraits resembling the original ones, they could probably have hired someone whose style would be closer to that of Mike Sass' to simply things, or to be more certain of what the result would be.

    You've made me change my mind. I'm not upset at the artist, and I was wrong in being so. I'm upset at the ones who made the decision not to be consistent, as if making an overhaul of a classic game is not already playing with fire. This raises a small, yet serious warning flag for me - I wonder if you'll be able to notice the same lack of consistency elsewhere, the new dialogue, the UI, the graphics.. it's unlikely, of course, but I'm no longer totally convinced.

    We'll simply see once the game gets released.

    I like her boobs. They are big. I like big boobs.

    Fake_SketchKolonKuWard
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    @Majoca - Having though on it even more, I realize that you can't really be upset about Beamdog either, for doing it this way.

    If something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Obviously, if Mike's style can't be copied, why not go ahead and get Jason. He'll do a great job for sure, even if he has a style that, in my mind, is almost inseparable from IWD. Though, if IWDEE comes out eventually, and they don't get Jason to do the new portraits, Beamdog will have to put me in Spellhold before I go ape shit.

    And when it comes to the other pack of portraits, I'm glad to know that @Boozilla tried, at least, to copy Sass' style. Looking at the NPC portraits, it's a mix of both BG1 and BG2. And that's as good as it gets. And now that we know the game's going to be delayed, perhaps the artists will be able to actually get some sleep between drawing pictures.

    And yeah, considering your other points, BGEE will be totally awesome.

    Majoca
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Boozilla My mummy told me not to take lunch monies from ladies so you can keep it.*

    I still want your portraits though. Gimmegimmegimme.









    *I don't actually take people's lunch monies.

  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,851
    Boozilla said:

    I dig the Dorn one.

    Me too. ;D

    Risingsun
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    That chick has cans bigger than the cloudspeak mountains. I'd hit it with Bigby's engorged pillar.

    Quartz
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @colonel_burger Why settle for somebody else's pillar when you have your own?

Sign In or Register to comment.