Skip to content

Dee Loses His Marbles

2»

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The strongest known material is called “carbon nanotubes,” and I must say, they REALLY need to come up with a better name for it. It is really hard to use the term in a sentence without sounding extremely awkward. Keep in mind that it’s not some sort of tool like a pipe; it’s a material. With a reasonably-named substance like iron, if you want to know how much volume or mass of it someone has, you can ask them “how much iron do you have?” However, if it’s carbon nanotubes you’re talking about, then there’s no good way to ask the question due to its horrendous name. If you say to them, “how many carbon nanotubes do you have?” then it sounds like you’re asking how many of the individual microscopic tubes that the material is made of they have. If you ask, “how much carbon nanotube do you have?” that’s even worse! Carbon nanotubes are such a bad name for a material! It’s like if we referred to iron as “iron atoms!”
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    The strongest known material is called “carbon nanotubes,” and I must say, they REALLY need to come up with a better name for it. It is really hard to use the term in a sentence without sounding extremely awkward. Keep in mind that it’s not some sort of tool like a pipe; it’s a material. With a reasonably-named substance like iron, if you want to know how much volume or mass of it someone has, you can ask them “how much iron do you have?” However, if it’s carbon nanotubes you’re talking about, then there’s no good way to ask the question due to its horrendous name. If you say to them, “how many carbon nanotubes do you have?” then it sounds like you’re asking how many of the individual microscopic tubes that the material is made of they have. If you ask, “how much carbon nanotube do you have?” that’s even worse! Carbon nanotubes are such a bad name for a material! It’s like if we referred to iron as “iron atoms!”

I never used “carbon nanotubes” in a sentence, but you're absolutely right. What about "carbotube"? How much carbotube do you have?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I just read the title as 'Dee loses his nargles'. Well, did you check Hogwarts?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Obviously that was the first place I looked.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    how do i write in rainbows? ;_;
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    I don't want my deodorant to be motion activated. That's getting way too personal.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Non-sequitur, but my reality is catching up with nonsense: yesterday was 25C, today we were due snow. April in NYC!
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I love hummus!
    People who base their every action on sayings can never seem to agree on anything. At one point, I encountered two such people. I asked them, “When is it over?” One of them said, “It’s over when it’s over,” and the other one said, “It’s over when the fat lady sings.” But the first person said to the second person, “What are you talking about? It’s not over when the fat lady sings; it’s over when it’s over!” The second person then replied, “You’ve got it all wrong! It’s not over when it’s over; it’s over when the fat lady sings!” They got into a huge argument over this, and eventually I got tired of it, so I left.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @OlvynChuru , And *that's* when it was over. :)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @lolien there's a Doctor missing before the last row...
    In Planescape Torment, the person in the Civic Festhall who tells you about fiends mentions "fortresses made of human flesh" in the Hells. Out of all things, why would they choose to make fortresses out of flesh? Flesh is hardly a practical thing to make fortresses out of! Chances are that if the delusions of many people caused a fortress made of human flesh to materialize somewhere in Baator, nearby devils would wonder who would be stupid enough to build a fortress out of flesh. Then, they'd take the fortress apart and sell the flesh to someone who could use it for a more useful purpose.
    A long time ago, my Dad was looking through the files on my computer for malware and he thought that GameSpy was malware. It sure sounds like it would be, right?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I identify with Princess Bubblegum on so many levels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJ44KEdD8A
    edited July 2016
    I've come up with the most physically inaccurate, meaningless statement that would sound plausible to someone who knew nothing about physics:

That amplifier has an amplitude of 30 amps!
    For a while I’ve been thinking about why “2 + 2” is the quintessential easy math problem, as opposed to “1 + 1”. The best answer I’ve come up with is that with “2 + 2”, if you accidentally rotate the plus sign by 45 degrees, you still get the right answer.
    I think it's because "two" and "four" are some of the dumber-sounding numbers. Unlike "one," which is just kind of normal.
    I'M YELLING BECAUSE I'M LOUD
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I only recently learned what a tarrasque is. Previously I had thought that they were some sort of minor critter, like kobolds or tasloi.

"We're a rampaging horde of tarrasques. Krie! Krie!"
    The word "elvish" sounds like it would refer to someone who is only slightly elven.