Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,860
    edited September 2016

@Grond0, that monk challenge sounds extraordinarily difficult... I'll wish you some luck to supplement your intelligence ;)

Let's hope that it DOESN'T run out. :)

Meanwhile Selûna and party finished Ice Island with ease. They were however rather careless and Neera got killed by the Ankhegs. It was an extended version, but nowhere near as challenging as the SCS version. Neera has been raised again.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2016
    @Borco, sounds like an exciting run! I'm eager to see how it goes.

As an interesting observation, although maybe common knowledge, I just cast silence on Mulahey first thing at the bottom of the mines, which prevented him from calling for his SCS reinforcements. Made the fight much easier than any other time I've tried it...

@Borco, sounds like an exciting run! I'm eager to see how it goes.

As an interesting observation, although maybe common knowledge, I just cast silence on Mulahey first thing at the bottom of the mines, which prevented him from calling for his SCS reinforcements. Made the fight much easier than any other time I've tried it...

There are many ways to make it easier.

Method 1
    Web him from a position from which you cannot be seen. Follow up with wand of frost or area spells. The area spells (fireball etc) are safest.

Method 2
    He can be charmed with the Cloak of Algernon or a spell and then he will be killed by the summons.v (This is the method I would use for a minimum experience game or one where party members are not allowed to kill.)

I hadn't thought of your suggestion though. That is ideal for a solo cleric.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Grond0 , I love your names for your archers. :D
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I like the portrait you chose for your archers. Especially Robin.
    "Unlike some Robin Hood's, I have an English accent."
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    edited September 2016
    Amestris, human Priest of Lathander: Cloakwood Nashkel Mines

Once in the mines, Amestris used Sanctuary (2x) to sneak past the pesky kobolds and to reach Mulahey's cave unnoticed. Prior to revealing herself to the enemy, she took a Potion of Freedom and buffed with Chant, DUHM, Strength of One and Boon. The priest has fallen in a just few rounds to her Ashideena and Holy Smite, while afterwards his minions received pretty much the same treatment.
    photo 7_zps8apuvobu.jpg

Amestris then looted the tombs on the surface (avoiding any confrontation with the Revenant due to his stun ability) and continued to Ulgoth's Beard to do some extensive shopping (Greenstone Amulet, Martial Staff +3, Cloak of Displacement and Wand of Heavens). She also took some time to clear the ankegh lair, putting her Wand of Sleep charges to a good use.
    photo 8_zps5celau5k.jpg

En route back south, Amestris had to defend against Lamalha and her amazons. By opening with Sanctuary (it's no secret what's her favorite spell) she managed to counter their initial spells while gaining some breathing space for buffs.
    photo 10_zpsx3kf51ql.jpg

Once these were in place (including Greenstone Amulet charge), she came up with a successful Command followed by a combined range/melee offence and topped that with Holy Smite. The girls did not have the chance to do any real harm.
    photo 9_zpsrhsbvxit.jpg

After that, she was already due to report her success in Nashkel which, of course, also meant a confrontation with Nimbul. And this one had a peculiar outcome. Although Amestris did silence him, she completely forgot about his spell sequencer through which he was able to release two Chormatic Orbs. The combat log then reported "Stun" which would indicate a failed saving throw, however, Amestris was not affected in any way and managed to win the fight.
    photo 12_zps26xg8web.jpg

I assume that Nimbul is lvl 9 caster which would translate to paralyzation for 2 turns (and effectively ending Amestris' run). I have no idea why this happened, because Amestris was not running Greenstone Amulet (which reportedly does not prevent some effect icons) at the time. Therefore, I am strongly inclined to abandon the run due to failure.
    photo 13_zpskf2dy18f.jpg

Regards,

B.
    Post edited by Borco on
    @Borco I think that you meant Nashkel Mines not Cloakwood Mines.
    I am also wondering why you used potion of Mirrored Eyes against Nimbul. Do you know something that I don't?
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325

@Borco I think that you meant Nashkel Mines not Cloakwood Mines.
    I am also wondering why you used potion of Mirrored Eyes against Nimbul. Do you know something that I don't?

Of course Wise, thanks for pointing that out (post edited).

As for the Potion of Mirrored Eyes, I initially thought (before consulting the Internet) that Nimbul has a casting level high enough to inflict petrification with his orbs. This was supposed to be a desperate attempt to block at least that...

Regards,

B.
    @Corey_Russell Looks like it could be interesting. Your problems with carrying loot is the main reason why I installed a mod that gives Imoen a bag of holding. I tend to do the majority of the dungeon with just Imoen in the party. This also helps with levelling up. Imoen usually goes up a level in the dungeon.

Having just four party members instead of five also helps with levelling up.

I tend to concentrate on having good remove traps at the start for a F/M/T as hiding is not such an issue. You can use invisibility spell, and knock to open chests.
  • SuperNoviceSuperNovice Member Posts: 10
    It's been a couple weeks since my last update on Dante's progress. Unfortunately, NPCs in Cloakwood started spouting item descriptions instead of their dialogue so it looks like I have some incompatibility in the mods I have installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a minimum install that works?

I thought I had a pretty minimal install going this time with:

BGTutu
    G3 NPC Pack
    Hard Times
    Unfinished Business
    SCS

I'm thinking next attempt will just be:

BG Tutu
    G3 NPC pack
    SCS

Has anyone installed Unfinished Business or Hard Time with those 3? Also, what order did you do the installs?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,003

@Corey_Russell Looks like it could be interesting. Your problems with carrying loot is the main reason why I installed a mod that gives Imoen a bag of holding. I tend to do the majority of the dungeon with just Imoen in the party. This also helps with levelling up. Imoen usually goes up a level in the dungeon.

Having just four party members instead of five also helps with levelling up.

I tend to concentrate on having good remove traps at the start for a F/M/T as hiding is not such an issue. You can use invisibility spell, and knock to open chests.

@Wise_Grimwald I don't mind the problem of not being to loot properly - maybe the inconvenience will make me more careful next time and not do a false economy.

As for the F/M/T thief skills, I only immediately concentrate on stealth if solo/duo. Otherwise, all my thieves get locks/traps then snares. Lots of experience in my install for locks/traps for example - also being able to safely loot nearly all chests is also helpful for my money.

Finally, when in the dungeon, if not MP run (e.g. with Grond0/Gate70), then I am either solo or party. If party then I get all the NPCs (helps with looting).

I do SK a bag of holding if solo.