Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,060
    ussnorway said:

busted scs + sod does not work but you can have scs + v2

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, if I have a Steam install of BG+SoD and run SCS, can I get SCS to work with only the EE section? Will the attempt to install SCS break the SoD part?
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    @ Ygramul, I don't own the game on stream but can confirm beamdog and gog versions work with EE v2 and SCS... what I did as a work around was play the first part with scs and then install sod on a new location (without scs) to get a full run.

the problems arrise because sod adds new classes / npc types that don't play nice with some of the other mods but this is offset because sod is MUCH harder than vanilla so it does not really need scs to be a chalenge.
    PR1- Start,

A new look,

Hear as mp3,

I’m re-entering the challenge with another group;

· Puk Redback a stock Human Lawful Evil Red Dragon Disciple

· Sarah Truesight a Elf Lawful Good Blade

· Imoen is just Imoen, a human thief included for plot reasons

Mods: this run has no mods but I did edit the gamesave to allow Sarah to be LG elf blade... Considered giving Puk a moonblade to match his image but it felt overpowered so dropped it, I’m playing on top level with extra damage turned off.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    JuliusBorisov said:@Ygramul If you have BGEE+SoD on Steam, the first thing you need is modmerge. After that you can install SCS (but with a fix by @subtledoctor). SCS will influence SoD part, not in terms of improving particular encounters, but in terms of general AI.

That is virtually what I was about to write once I'd found the links. :)
    Thanks a lot everyone. This was very insightful.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    edited September 2016
    Ygramul said:

Also, @Demivrgvs :
    What is the state of Spell Revisions currently? Is it stable with SCS+2.0+SoD?

Any links to latest versions and install guides are appreciated.

(If it makes a difference, I am running a Mac.).

@Ygramul Unfortunately I didn't had the time to test SR with SoD with my own hands (I haven't played it at all) but I'll look into it asap and let you know.

The last SR build can be found on git here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26517

Very few minor string related issues have been reported for that build, other than that it's quite great imo.

Demivrgvs said:

Ygramul said:

Also, @Demivrgvs :
    What is the state of Spell Revisions currently? Is it stable with SCS+2.0+SoD?

Any links to latest versions and install guides are appreciated.

(If it makes a difference, I am running a Mac.).

@Ygramul Unfortunately I didn't had the time to test SR with SoD with my own hands (I haven't played it at all) but I'll look into it asap and let you know.

The last SR build can be found on git here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26517

Very few minor string related issues have been reported for that build, other than that it's quite great imo.

Thanks, @Demivrgvs

SR is a great improvement over vanilla spells. Will look forward to employing it in SoD when possible.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,034
    @Grond0 sorry to see ya go down. Here's a possible scenario

A person is about to do the Duchal Palace in EE but is solo. Follow these steps:

1) Recruit 5 stooges (NPCs). Equip basic equipment/spells/ammo for said stooges
    2) Complete Duchal Palace fight successfully.
    3) Kick out 5 stooges from step #1 - resume solo play.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    I didn't have troubles during the palace fight in the EE with either a solo totemic druid. 2 Spirit animals and additional nymphs helped greatly. I also remember @Blackraven always has managed to complete the fight with all his solo thief attempts.

I think you need summons for this fight if you're soloing. As an arcane caster, I would start with the wand of summoning, then a chaos scroll (so that you're not interrupted), then repeat the wand, then repeat the scroll (or use the scroll of Greater Malison followed by Chaos). All scrolls are sold in the SS.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    @Corey_Russell my solo runs mean solo - so no recruiting of NPCs is allowed.

I didn't have troubles during the palace fight in the EE with either a solo totemic druid. 2 Spirit animals and additional nymphs helped greatly. I also remember @Blackraven always has managed to complete the fight with all his solo thief attempts.

I think you need summons for this fight if you're soloing. As an arcane caster, I would start with the wand of summoning, then a chaos scroll (so that you're not interrupted), then repeat the wand, then repeat the scroll (or use the scroll of Greater Malison followed by Chaos). All scrolls are sold in the SS.

I've done the fight many, many times with a range of different characters. I agree that summons are helpful and that chaos is a good option (though I wanted to avoid the risk of a surge by using that), but the fight is extremely unpredictable. If all the dopplegangers attack the dukes immediately then you will be in serious trouble whatever your tactics. Conversely if none of the dopplegangers attack the dukes then the fight can seem ridiculously easy. In BGT it was possible to lose the fight, but that was a rare occurrence - it's far more common in EE.

I don't know about EE, but you don't need summons in Tutu. I have played with a solo fighter-thief in which the aim was for the PC not to kill anyone.

To win this fight I used the wand of sleep and Algernon's Cloak, charming the doppelgangers as they awoke. That tactic won't work with EE as the cloak has been nerfed to one charge per day. That I think is a good thing. That Cloak was way over-powered but for that type of run I didn't feel that I was exploiting it.

Wand of sleep is still a good tactic in that it gives you time. Another tactic that can be vital is healing the dukes with your bhaal powers or with normal healing powers if you are playing a druid, cleric or paladin.

You often have to just think outside the box when soloing.

Whilst your tactic for a caster is an excellent one, summons followed by web also works. Web often stops the dukes getting involved in the battle.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,034
    @Wise_Grimwald The discussion started when Grond0 mentioned how difficult the EE Duchal Palace fight for a solo character, and thus his many solo failures at the palace in EE. EE changes Dopplegangers compared to vanilla/Tutu (higher level), and the dukes seem to die much faster.
    Wild mage {2} (1st and final update)

I was quickly running through the game again this evening aiming to get back up to the palace battle and have a go at that tomorrow morning when fresh. Unfortunately I got caught out by another difference of EE compared to BGT in the Candlekeep tombs. After taking a small amount of damage in the fight with the doppleganger there I used the violet potion in order to be able to loot the tombs. In BGT that wouldn't have been a problem as a reduction in constitution reduces base HPs, but only reduces current HPs if higher than the revised base. However, in EE it reduces both and taking the violet potion as a 9th level mage imposed a HP penalty of 45 HPs (which would actually have killed me from maximum HPs if not for the 6 HP bonus for a familiar). I can't remember exactly how many I had left, but it was in the low 40's - resulting in instant death. I've come across that mechanic a few times now and died to it once previously when DUHM ran out, but it still doesn't feel natural to me and I'm going to have to work harder at remembering it ...

To win this fight I used the wand of sleep and Algernon's Cloak, charming the doppelgangers as they awoke. That tactic won't work with EE as the cloak has been nerfed to one charge per day. That I think is a good thing. That Cloak was way over-powered but for that type of run I didn't feel that I was exploiting it.

Wand of sleep is still a good tactic in that it gives you time. Another tactic that can be vital is healing the dukes with your bhaal powers or with normal healing powers if you are playing a druid, cleric or paladin.

Tactics suitable for Tutu / BGT won't reliably work in EE. Sleep won't work at all and healing the dukes won't be much help if all the dopplegangers are attacking them (doing 50+ HP damage per round). I've seen on a number of occasions both dukes die in less than 2 rounds, so as a solo player you can only rely on having a single spell to make a difference. The one I've found most useful for a mage is improved invisibility, in order to lengthen Belt's survival time and allow other actions to be taken, but area spells such as horror and chaos have a reasonable chance of making a difference as well - I wouldn't recommend single target spells as they probably won't work anyway and even if they do the remaining 5 dopplegangers can still quickly kill the dukes. If you are lucky of course the dopplegangers won't all attack the dukes, but go after you, summons and guards instead - in which case you may be able to watch Belt win the battle without needing to intervene at all :smile:

edited September 2016

@Wise_Grimwald The discussion started when Grond0 mentioned how difficult the EE Duchal Palace fight for a solo character, and thus his many solo failures at the palace in EE. EE changes Dopplegangers compared to vanilla/Tutu (higher level), and the dukes seem to die much faster.

I hadn't noticed them being any worse, presumably because summons + web works so well that I have had no difficulty there. I haven't played EE Ducal palace without a mage yet. Perhaps I should.

Seluna has just beaten the Section in Baldur's Gate for the first time. She sneaked past the first two floors and Imoen webbed the doorway between two halves of the rooms. Seluna wearing a ring to protect from web went through the doorway, spoke to te boss which made the section hostile.

She took a potion of invisibility and went back through the doorway whilst everyone else in the party used ranged weapons or wand of the heavens.

Imoen cast cloudkill and then she and Xan used fireballs until the enemy was down to six men. Time for melee.

Xan was killed as they cleared the top floor and at one time Nikita was a hair's breadth away from dying.

After collecting loot they went to the temple of Helm to restore Seluna's lover. Everyone back to full health.

They will perhaps return to mop up.

The question then is,: "Do they finish off Durlag's Tower and go to do the Drizzt Saga or should they just go straight to SoD after the disposal of Saverok.

EDIT

The problem with this battle is that Holy Smite was ineffective and one of them was carrying Holy Avenger, a +4 sword only usable by paladins. It makes me think that perhaps I should have avoided the fight in some way.
    I'll try it differently next time. Perhaps try a backstab from Nikita on the one that got away
    I have decided not to return as the party would not deliberately target good guys even though they are not particularly good themselves. The section appear to be deluded good guys, but I don't know for certain.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    @Grond0 Now THAT is something that has never happened to me. Presumably you needed to take a potion of mirrored eyes before sleeping? I'm not very clued up on those potions from the carnival.
    edited September 2016
    Grond0 said:

Tactics suitable for Tutu / BGT won't reliably work in EE. Sleep won't work at all and healing the dukes won't be much help if all the dopplegangers are attacking them (doing 50+ HP damage per round). I've seen on a number of occasions both dukes die in less than 2 rounds, so as a solo player you can only rely on having a single spell to make a difference. The one I've found most useful for a mage is improved invisibility, in order to lengthen Belt's survival time and allow other actions to be taken, but area spells such as horror and chaos have a reasonable chance of making a difference as well - I wouldn't recommend single target spells as they probably won't work anyway and even if they do the remaining 5 dopplegangers can still quickly kill the dukes. If you are lucky of course the dopplegangers won't all attack the dukes, but go after you, summons and guards instead - in which case you may be able to watch Belt win the battle without needing to intervene at all :smile:

I have found summons which can be cast before Sarevok knows you are there is a good way forward, followed by web which often stops the Dukes getting involved and which reduces the number of doppelgangers that you have to fight at one time. With my parties that has always been sufficient, but I haven't played EE solo yet as I haven't played it enough to do so. I didn't buy it until people started saying that most of the bugs were sorted.

I suspect that entangle could work just as well as web if playing a druid, but haven't tried it as I don't like the druid ethos.

@Ygramul If you have BGEE+SoD on Steam, the first thing you need is modmerge. After that you can install SCS (but with a fix by @subtledoctor). SCS will influence SoD part, not in terms of improving particular encounters, but in terms of general AI.

gog with sod = still busted

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6041 // Smarter Priests -> Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC: v30 BWP Fix
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v30 BWP Fix

@Grond0 Now THAT is something that has never happened to me. Presumably you needed to take a potion of mirrored eyes before sleeping? I'm not very clued up on those potions from the carnival.

It wouldn't have happened to you in Tutu as the mechanic has been changed in EE. Adjustments to constitution in EE directly affect current HPs rather than base HPs. That can have odd effects, for instance:
    - it's possible (though very unlikely in the EE due to HP rolls being biased upwards) for a mage to average less than 2 HPs per level from their die roll.
    - drinking the violet potion reduces constitution to 3 and applies a penalty to the die roll of -2.
    - for such a mage drinking the violet potion results in instant death from full HPs!

I have found summons which can be cast before Sarevok knows you are there is a good way forward, followed by web which often stops the Dukes getting involved and which reduces the number of doppelgangers that you have to fight at one time. With my parties that has always been sufficient, but I haven't played EE solo yet as I haven't played it enough to do so. I didn't buy it until people started saying that most of the bugs were sorted.

I suspect that entangle could work just as well as web if playing a druid, but haven't tried it as I don't like the druid ethos.

Regrettably it won't work anything like as well. Those greater dopplegangers have a save of 6 against spells, but web has a penalty of -2 to the save so the dopplegangers will fail their save on a die roll of 1-7. Given the repeated checks web makes that gives a decent chance of stopping them taking any action if you use multiple webs. Entangle has a bonus of +3 to the save so the dopplegangers only fail on a die roll of 1-2. Furthermore, even if they are affected entangle just stops them moving, but unlike web doesn't stop them attacking if they are already in melee range. It's possible you could still get some benefit out of it, but it wouldn't be a tactic to rely on.
    @Grond0 Thanks for the elucidation. That explains why I haven't had any problems in the palace. I have been doing the right thing without understanding why. :)
    Grond0 said: Wise_Grimwald said:@Grond0 Now THAT is something that has never happened to me. Presumably you needed to take a potion of mirrored eyes before sleeping? I'm not very clued up on those potions from the carnival.

It wouldn't have happened to you in Tutu as the mechanic has been changed in EE. Adjustments to constitution in EE directly affect current HPs rather than base HPs. That can have odd effects, for instance:
    - it's possible (though very unlikely in the EE due to HP rolls being biased upwards) for a mage to average less than 2 HPs per level from their die roll.
    - drinking the violet potion reduces constitution to 3 and applies a penalty to the die roll of -2.
    - for such a mage drinking the violet potion results in instant death from full HPs!

I doubt that that is what the original devs intended, :( perhaps not even those who wrote EE. In writing programs people often don't understand the implications of making even minor changes to a program.

When surveying a major part of my job was finding work arounds for glitches in software where the programmer hadn't taken EVERYTHING into consideration. By the time that they had nearly ironed out the glitches, that software was superceded by other software which of course introduced new glitches. :(
    PR1- Start,

A slow start,

Hear text as mp3,

I’m taking my time to explore before risking any major challenges, Sarah killed an assassin at the friendly arm, then a pretty young half-elf literally gave me the robes off her back and identified my items as well.

I asked ante J to step out as Imoen kited a battle horror. It took all 10 shots from the frost wand we found but it gave both the girls a level up so its worth the expense.