Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    edited September 2016
    @Jared4242 :D Yes, juuussttt fine.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    SOD is probably the most difficult game to play in Legacy of Bhaal mode, as it is the most linear and has the largest groups of enemies, where LOB bonuses make the largest impact. Each enemy gets separate bonuses, and kiting is much more difficult on a crowded battlefield.

I've considered taking a group of Cleric/Illusionists through SOD, using the spider gnome trick (the best means of dealing melee damage in SOD, actually), but the exploit might have gotten closed by now, as it was in BG2:EE.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I have no no-reload experience, but I would imagine a party of fighters, mages, and clerics (Multi, dual, or single) would have a better rate of success in SOD, based on what I've heard. More defensive classes would probably fare best in large battles. I mean, that tends to be accurate in IWD too, doesn't it? Obviously anything is possible, but more defense likely wins the day in terms of efficiency.
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    Cavan's progress will be slow and intermittent, but he's still going for it!

I have to say, I'm enjoying SoD very much so far. It's fun to be surprised!

Ambushed by assassins in the Ducal Palace, and then by Korlasz in the basement... discovering that the treasurer has used my gold for a shady investment and can't give it back, and that most of the companions I prefer have left the city...

I'm in for a grand time back in Baldur's Gate!
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    have you tried putting one of your shield characters in front of Minsc, wise?
    edited September 2016
    Blind_Visionary said:
    I have to say, I'm enjoying SoD very much so far. It's fun to be surprised!

I'm enjoying it too, but am having difficulty knowing what to do next. :( I think that I might have missed some clues. :(

EDIT

I had. I should have released some prisoners earlier. I have found an item that Neera needs and I have released Dorn. Time will tell whether or not the game will now progress.

@ussnorway Yes, but enemies get round them. There are some pretty big hordes. Not complaining. I would be complaining if it wasn't a challenge. I am pleased to have got as far as I have in my first try.
    PR1- 3, 

Gaze upon the loot,

Hear text as mp3,

Sarah purchased PfP then I sent my Imp against the roof guards and of course we had to support the arts ... Nice swords.

Between Korax and my Imp we managed to clear basilisks for another level... I picked the 'knock' spell, then I purchased a necklace of missiles but I'm not keen to start hunting ankheg yet as Shar-teel just died fighting a single one at the bridge.
    edited September 2016
    Seluna and party had just about won the battle at Boaresky Bridge with only one enemy left and then the game crashed. :( I'll have to fight it again. :( Let's hope that it doesn't crash again.

EDIT

Second time around, Seluna took the Boaresky Bridge they had to use many potions of healing, but found yet more. :) Web, Cloudkill, Icestorm, and Silence were all of value, but so were the buffings that prevented too serious an injury.

Seluna was stunned and as a result got seriously injured. Minsc also got badly hurt, but he was able to run away and consume healing potions.

Slowly Seluna and friends regained strength before gaining the upper hand. :)

A mistake was made. Dispell magic should have been used to remove Seluna's stun.

The second time around the battle was much fiercer than the first which had been quite straightforward.

EDIT

I said: images tomorrow only to discover that in the heat of the battle I only took one screenshot. :(

Just after that, Minsc took even more injury and retreated to take several healing potions.
    Fortunately the enemy mages fell quickly as their tanks had already fallen.
    @Wise_Grimwald: That's discipline! Last time I had a crash just before winning a fight, I told myself I'd just cheat my way through it to save time.

I ended up fighting it a second time anyway, for fun, but I was willing to just jump ahead, assuming victory was assured anyway.

Even though, on previous occasions, I have wished that the game would crash when I was losing badly just so I'd have an excuse to try it again. Never happened, though--no crash has saved me from my own incompetence.
    @Enuhal: How do you pronounce stirbt?
    edited September 2016
    semiticgod said:@Wise_Grimwald: That's discipline! Last time I had a crash just before winning a fight, I told myself I'd just cheat my way through it to save time.

I ended up fighting it a second time anyway, for fun, but I was willing to just jump ahead, assuming victory was assured anyway.

Even though, on previous occasions, I have wished that the game would crash when I was losing badly just so I'd have an excuse to try it again. Never happened, though--no crash has saved me from my own incompetence.

A previous crash DID save me from incompetance. :)

I think that I would have survived it, but with more party members dead.

I have learned to take the rough with the smooth.

In this game an item for Neera disappeared from my directory.
    There have since been two GoG updates and it has reappeared, but now Neera isn't interested in it.

I will wait until I find the other two items before doing anything as I don't know just what if any changes were made to Neera.

If she accepts the last two items but still needs the one in my inventory, at least I know the command to correct things. :) There is a thread about disappearing items on this board. :)

If anyone needs it I will dig it up in my search history and post it. It looks as if GoG are on the ball and are sorting this bug at least so hopefully it won't happen to anyone else. :)
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    Neverused said:

At some point I might try Kit Revisions, but not this run.

@Neverused if you do, please tag me so that I can follow that run. :)

edited September 2016
    @Blind_Visionary Like you it isn't the enemies that look worst that are worst. Who would expect boring beetles to be the most dangerous? They took Seluna down to 3 HP. Dynaheir was chunked in an magic-proof area. :( Just after she'd gone up a level too. :(

EDIT

At least I know what to do next time. :)
    The party will now have to find another magic-user, perhaps Neera.

@Enuhal: How do you pronounce stirbt?

You can hear it on this page:
    http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/die-hoffnung-stirbt-zuletzt
    Seluna and party headed for the underground river and came across some tough opponents. Next time full buffing!! Both Starlight and Neera died. This means backtracking and getting Starlight resurrected. She can then resurrect Neera.

(Oh, and please don't tell me anything about these beasties. I'm having fun trying to figure out what to do.)

You can see why we're making such slow progress...

In my first no-reload run, I was facing SCS Irenicus in Spellhold without my equipment. I spent two days considering my options before I was ready to fight him. Very fun.
    PR1- 4, 

A familiar issue,

Hear text as mp3,

Puks run has ended... I sent my Imp against the gnoll guards and he didn't survive it ... Branwen stopped one but the other 4 elites got two criticals which over powered his regeneration.

I will roll up another character tonight... Maybe dial the difficulty back to just insane?
    @ussnorway Sorry to hear that. :( Better luck next time.
    edited September 2016
    @Blind_Visionary You may be making slow progress, but you will probably succeed where I will probably fail. I didn't realise that unlike Baldur's Gate you can't go back to do things later. :( The non-linearity of Baldur's gate is one of its great strengths. It made it more like life and less like a game.