Skip to content

Diablo Minimal and No Reload Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

If you download from the Blizzard website you can't use PlugY, as there is no way to revert to previous patches that I know of.

Yup. I have that problem.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    As much as I'm in favor of using the PlugY stash space, I am just as AGAINST using it's auto re-spec options. The game becomes trivial and loses much of it's appeal when you don't focus on a specific play-style. Akara's respecs are perfect and allow you to refine your build slightly. The best ARPGs of recent years (Path of Exile and Grim Dawn) also adhere to this theory of putting limits on redoing everything, and it's essential to actually learning a build and re-playability.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited September 2016
    As an industry insider, I can give you a quick look at what's going on behind the scenes with Diablo et al.
    Rumours about a remake, being little more than a vocalisation of the fanbase's wishful thinking, originate from the fact that Blizz was recently hiring a bunch of people to maintain the classic titles. Maintenance is the critical keyword here. Unfortunately, the sales of Diablo II provide negligible income nowadays, too little to make even a minor engine change feasible, e.g. adjusting the UI to better fit modern resolutions which could be inexpensively done by a team of two plus a project manager. The game's continued popularity, statistically, cannibalizes other products' revenues (most notably D3), which is the reasoning behind putting Diablo II in a 'maintenance mode'. The changes applied in the 1.14 patch revealed a further intention to kill Diablo II's modding scene by internalizing a few external files (makes the game even trickier to mod), in an attempt to monetize niche playerbases of the few more popular mods, either by converting them to verified Closed Battle.net users or by having them switch to newer Blizzard titles.
    It's also very unlikely that Activision's marketing execs would allow a Diablo II remaster to happen right now, as in the eyes of a big profit-driven corporation such things just don't return well enough to warrant the investment required (otherwise we'd all be on some clunky EA/WotC/Hasbro forum, not here at Trent's place :lol: ). Outsourcing or licensing something like this to a smaller Beamdog-like studio could actually be viable, but large companies are seldom that adventurous. And it seems that with the release of Overwatch they already expended all adventurousness they could afford, for the moment at least. I'm not saying that D2HD release date is never but I am saying it is highly unlikely to happen soon and, even if it happens, I'm not sure if I'd like to play a sugar-coated PG-13 Diablo II remastered by the Activision-Blizzard of now.

It's the 20th anniversary of the Diablo franchise this year and sixteen years since the release of Diablo II. You can buy an awesome Horadric Satchel if you play WoW and maybe some other swag in the other microtransaction-driven titles, but it looks like that's about it. Meh.

And that's why, unlike Activision-Blizzard, I'm releasing Diablo II Enhanced Edition this year.
    Because, fuck you, I'm not waiting another two decades for it.

Coming soon! September 20th.

As for everyone who doesn't have a copy of pre-1.14 installers, here's one place you could get 'em.

Once you have a 1.13 installation, you may want to make a copy of the entire game directory for modding purposes and update the original installation to the most recent version, so that you can still play on Battle.net if you like.
    More detailed instructions on maintaining Diablo II installations will be provided upon D2EE release.

@O_Bruce glad you're back in the game. Congrats on Sora's progress so far!
    Hope this cheers you up and helps forget about you know what.

:smirk:
    edited September 2016
    I appreciate the insight about the rumored D2 remaster, as it always seemed like wishful thinking, and the game is fantastic the way it is. Any insight into whether you think they are gonna push out another D3 expansion or if IV is in fact in the works?? Because Diablo IV, even if announced this year at Blizzcon, would seem to be a mid-2018 release at the earliest.

Couple question about your Enhanced mod: Will it be compatible with current characters?? Will it be PlugY friendly?? And if the resolution is increased, how did you fix the issue of you being able to see and kill monsters when they can't aggro you??
    @God
    First of all, thank you for your insight, but I cannot say I agree with everything. But I also don't insist on D2 remake coming - I only mentioned some rumors. And people pretty much have reasons to rumor about things, be it another expansion for Diablo 3, Diablo 4 or Diablo 2 remaster - or even Diablo 2 for mobile devices, imagine that. Thing is, 2016 would be 20th anniversary for Diablo series, and people expect something significant to hear at Blizzcon 2016. And from marketing statepoint - what's better opportinity to announce some new Diablo project than 20th anniversary of the entire series? One thing is very likely - something big regarding Diablo franchise is going to be revealed this year.

Also, thanks for the meme. You made me laugh with that one, Deckard Cain was nailed in it.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited September 2016

Any insight into whether you think they are gonna push out another D3 expansion or if IV is in fact in the works?? Because Diablo IV, even if announced this year at Blizzcon, would seem to be a mid-2018 release at the earliest.

Tough call. Economically, D3 was a mistake, as its long-term sustainability relied on the auction house mechanic which, as you know, was discontinued. D3's current business model, based on a one-time purchase, suggests rolling out expansions/DLCs to further monetize the product. However, expansions require long development time and software engineers are not exactly the cheapest crowd in the workforce. From a marketing viewpoint, a much more efficient strategy would be to create a F2P or subscription-based sequel right away. But, who knows, maybe it's time for more experiments? With D3, Blizz tried to copy PayPal, so maybe they will try to become more like Uber now? Social economy is kind of fashionable right now and I can imagine a couple dozen ways they could take advantage of its mechanics. I don't work for them, though, so they're out of luck :lol:

Couple question about your Enhanced mod: Will it be compatible with current characters?? Will it be PlugY friendly?? And if the resolution is increased, how did you fix the issue of you being able to see and kill monsters when they can't aggro you??

1. D2EE is based on 1.10f (which was supposed to be the final version, hence the F) and there have been no significant changes to the character file system since then, IIRC. While I can't predict the many variables involved and guarantee a specific character to work, I've been testing D2EE with a character created on D2LoD 1.13c and encountered no issues.
    2. PlugY is integrated with D2EE, though select functionalities are either disabled by default (the server event, as it makes no sense lore-wise) or incompatible (the instant skill reset button won't work as I'm working on a different solution). Disabled functionalities, if desired, can still be enabled via the PlugY configuration file.
    3. It's a simple matter of extending the AI range cover the larger gameplay space. I'm still testing this but it should work as expected in all cases. In fact, with monsters engaging from further away, the game's difficulty might slightly increase for some character builds.
    O_Bruce said:

One thing is very likely - something big regarding Diablo franchise is going to be revealed this year.

We'll have to wait till Blizzcon to find out what it is.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2016
    I ordered an older battle chest from ebay, and I was just looking for the other things I will need. Did you know that the guy that wrote plugY released the source code for it?

plugy.free.fr/en/index.html

And if I had kept searching I would have found this first. It says that it works with 1.13d so I grabbed that too.
    plugY 11.0
    edited September 2016
    I didn't mind in the least that Blizzard had essentially abandoned D2 til recently, I wish they'd just left it alone aside from the once yearly ladder resets. The game is 16 years old, and we would have never seen things like Median XL (which is almost TOO good and involved but lead almost directly to Path of Exile) if Blizzard had insisted on retaining control over the code, which 1.14 seems to be a move toward. Back then, during an era when D2 and WC3 ruled the roost of PC gaming, modding was encouraged by Blizzard because it kept both games alive LONG past the sell date of any normal game. Times have changed in that regard, with the recent update to D2 and the shutting down of the most popular Vanilla WoW Private server. They clearly have a right and obligation to protect their IPs, but in the case of D2 especially, the offline game with preferred mods should really be at the discretion of the person who has probably owned the game for over a decade.

On another note, when you look back on things in retrospect, World of Warcraft, at least the way it came out of the box back in 2004 (and at least til Cataclysm) owed FAR more to Diablo 2 than any of the RTS games the franchise had been set in previously. I'll maintain that Diablo 2 remains the most important and influential PC RPG of all-time, even if it isn't quite the best (but it absolutely belongs in the top 10).
    The mega post (in size) regarding Sora's update will appear soon.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited September 2016
    ... and while we're waiting for the mega post about Sora, here's a small update on Hexxat.

I didn't have much experience with the Hell difficulty before. And when Hexxat first reached Hell, the difficulty of fights was a revelation to me. The difference between NM Baal, NM Diablo and others from NM who were killed in less than 30 seconds AND Hell uniques was striking. For the first time in this run I felt as if chances were in the monsters' favour.

But I always believed that this game was all about items. This is why I stopped at the Pits in order to find and improve Hexxat's items, which seemed like a dream arsenal on NM and a discount sale on Hell. I was even afraid to make the Countess runs for runes, because hordes of undead there were scary to me - Hexxat had a lot of trouble dealing with undead on Hell. But it was only a suggestion from my part, I had to look what the game was about myself.

Zaraki looked like he didn't have troubles in the Act I Hell, while Hexxat, up until now I would say invinsible, suddenly began to look fragile and in danger.

Yet, I believed in items. I remember that after Hexxat had finished NM Andariel runs, she was set for the rest of NM, while her regeneration and leech items found during those runs still help tremendously even in Hell.

So. During one of the Pits runs, Hexxat found a unique Phase Blade...

It was the Lightsabre.

And in a blink of an eye the whole situation has changed. First of all, this weapon has very fast attack speed (-50%), which reduces the number of seconds Hexxat's kicks take. Second, this weapon adds Magic Damage and Lightning Damage (which works with kicks), and these types of damage are exactly what Hexxat needed against Hell monsters. Third, it gives lighting absorb at 25%. Before, Lighting ehchanted uniques felt the most dangerous ones.

Now, thanks to the Star Wars easter egg item, and thanks to the Stormshield, Hexxat could deal with enemies (at least from the Act I) a LOT faster, easier and safer. It's hard to express in words about how less dangerous the game has started to feel now.

So, if those who try this challenge find themselves in a situation when the game starts being too dangerous, it might be better to stop advancing in the story and find better items. The Pits on Hell can be a very good place for it - besides these 3 cool unique items Hexxat found good stuff for a barbarian and a sorceress:

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited September 2016
    The adventure of Hexxat (Hell)

As soon as Hexxat reached the 76th level and (finally) equipped the Dracul's Grasp, she was ready to visit Auntie Andy.

Life Tap from the gloves worked almost from the first try - after that Andariel was constantly under this curse, so Hexxat literally healed herself with each bite kick.

The fight itself took 46 seconds, another 14 seconds of the video were spent on overviewing Hexxat's items and stats.

https://youtu.be/ZNK9WX57xwg
    I have never even contemplated using anything but Claw Weapons on a Assassin, but then again, I've never played one in Hardcore on Hell difficulty.
    edited September 2016
    Prior to this run, I didn't know much about the Dragon Talon skill and thus also used claw weapons on assassins. But this skill bases its damage on boots, not a weapon equipped. The equipped weapon influences only additional bonuses for the attack, like an Attack Speed. The Lightsabre has an excellent attack speed, faster than all claws Hexxat managed to find up until now. It also adds magical and lightning damage to kicks, which makes possible to easily fight against physical immune monsters.

While we're still waiting for that mega post, here's an update on Hexxat.

Hexxat cleared the Claw Viper Temple and defeated its superunique, Fangskin.

Next was Coldworm the Burrower. Usually, its poison is deadly, but due to constant kicks Hexxat's 5% chance of lvl 10 Life Tap from her gloves actually works almost on any monster who isn't killed in two or three attacks. As soon as the Life Tap is activated, any monster (even undead!) becomes a sourse to quickly bring life to 100%.

The Summoner was also defeated without troubles.

Looking at how useful her elite unique items were, Hexxat felt she needed to change her belt - she still weared a belt from the Sigon's set (thanks to its 20% fire resistance and +20 to life). Really, it was nearly the middle of the Hell difficulty, and she had a normal belt. So she paid several visits to the Maggots' Lair and the Ancient Tunnels. He reward was a Mithril Coil.

It was Credendum from the Disciple set, a very solid belt on its own. +15 to all resistances is huge.

The fight against Duriel took 5 seconds more than the one against Andrariel. It wasn't difficult, again because of the Life Tap curse.

https://youtu.be/EJYQamLq8yU

Hexxat is closer and closer to you know what.
    That was a very good reading, I've enjoyed every word of it. Thank you for your post, really.

The last part came very unexpected, to say the least. I'm very sorry for you! It looks like playing a sorceress on hardcore is difficult.
    edited September 2016

I'm very sorry for you! It looks like playing a sorceress on hardcore is difficult.

Oh, don't be. It's only a videogame and I'm not really upset. That caught me off-guard and that's it. The only instance when I was really, really mad was with Zaraki dying to the very thing I hate the most in the game. No need to cry over spilled milk.... only in instances it's not milk, but rum instead.

Sorceress might have low life in comparison to the rest of characters, which may may them look like they're hard characters to play in hardcore mode. But I don't believe so. The truth is, I just made some mistakes. I have not invested in even 1 defensive skill, and energy shield could come in handy. Also, I was caught off-guard and Sora just died. It happens.

Still, Sora died in act I in nightmare, while my best sorceress who died had access to hell difficulty already, but died in ACt 4 Nightmare during Diablo run (I accidentally teleported in the middle of knights (warriors ones), who then proceeded to CENSORED the sorceress with their swords from every direciton possible... That was stupid death and it made me laugh. My roommate too.

I'm waiting for additional updates on Hexxat. And your bard run, I still haven't forgotten about that.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited September 2016
    Just pop in to congratulate on the ongoing success of Hexxat and the illuminating sorceress run by O_Bruce. Meanwhile i managed to kill 6 sorceress with the names: Melisandre, Melisandre, Melisandre, Melisandre, Imada Lek and Ravenslight. I tried to choose another class for one run, but i always go with the sorceress in the end, for some reason. Right now Nonnahswriter the sorceress prepares herself for the fight with Blood Raven.
    Post edited by lolien on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    lolien said:

Right now Nonnahswriter the sorceress prepares herself for the fight with Bood Raven.

Is that Blood Raven's giant space miniature undead archer cousin?

edited September 2016
    Interesting, gameranx.com is supposing there will be Diablo 4.

http://gameranx.com/features/id/75768/article/diablo-4-things-we-want-to-see/

Anyway, here's the progress.

Hexxat paid several visits to Uncle Mephisto, but didn't find anything worthy. It was nice to see a drop of Charged Essence of Hatred, though - not that Hexxat will need an additional respec, just was nice to see this item in the actual game.

So, Hexxat continued into the Act IV and defeated Izual and Hephasto the Armorer there.

The Hell Forge didn't provide a high-level rune:

Both River of Flame and Chaos Sanctuary have TC of 85, so Hexxat will look for items there before actually facing Diablo.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Greetings!

I start my update with Ravenslight's last moment:

And so Nonnahswriter, the sorceress come to life, to avange her sister!

For 'Nah the first hard fight was the one against Coldcrow:

It was a good excercise for Blood Raven.

With the slowing effect of ice blast 'Nah and her new rogue companion had enough time to handle tough opponents like Griswold or The Smith:

'Nah would like to make a Stealth armor before facing Andariel, so she visited the the Countess for runes. From her 4 visits the second:

, and the fourth visit provided the necessary runes:

Some demons in the front of Andariel's lair gave 'Nah the needed experience points to reach level 17, and so she could actually use the Stealth armour in the fight with Andariel.

Andy's minions were eliminated with Nova. 'Nah's rogue friend falled after some seconds against Andy, but 'Nah got the upper hand with creative use of Static field and Ice blast.

That feeling when the Lord of Terror can't do anything against you...