Skip to content

Worst possible sorcerer

I've seen some interesting discussions on here about the best spellbook to build for a sorcerer, which is all well and good. But I'm interested (fleetingly) in knowing what the worst possible build would be, both as a solo and as a useless party member.

Of course, I know that taking a party means it doesn't really matter that your PC sorcerer is terrible, but is there a build that genuinely couldn't beat the game?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Ever tried a Level 1 Sorcerer throughout the whole saga? Without leveling up even once?
    I did... and I do still have nightmares from it. Considering I forgot to tun SCS off...
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Suggesting Mislead?! My word.

My selection would be (assuming 5 spells per level).

1: Armour, Find Familiar, Friends, Infravision, Protection from Petrification
    2: Deafness, Detect Evil, Knock, Know Alignment, Vocalize
    3: Clairvoyance, Ghost Armour, Hold Undead, Non-detection, Protection from Cold
    4: Contagion, Farsight, Minor Sequencer, Remove Curse, Wizard Eye
    5: Conjure Lesser Elemental x 3, Phantom Blade, Protection from Acid
    6: Conjure Elemental x 3, Contingency, Stone to Flesh
    7: Cacofiend, Control Undead, Mantle, Protection from the Elements, Spell Sequencer
    8: Improved Mantle, Pierce Shield, Protection from Energy, Spell Trigger; Summon Fiend
    9: Absolute Immunity, Bigby's Crushing Hand, Energy Drain, Freedom, Gate
  • IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    Well I suggested Mislead cause you can't really capitalize on it. You have appalling THACO and 1 APR. I find summons way more useful to be honest so I avoided suggesting any.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2016
    As hla only Alchemy, taken at each level up.
    And still I guess that he can beat the game, from SoA to the end of ToB. Only vanilla.
    Using @Iglosnof 's list and Imoen as only helper, only in chap1. EDIT and yoshi in chap2, but only to steal and pickpocket.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Well, the worst sorcerer doesn't have spells, so just don't use the spellbook and you're gold. Well, more like a gold-plated turd, but still...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Suggesting Mislead?! My word.

My selection would be (assuming 5 spells per level).

1: Armour, Find Familiar, Friends, Infravision, Protection from Petrification
    2: Deafness, Detect Evil, Knock, Know Alignment, Vocalize
    3: Clairvoyance, Ghost Armour, Hold Undead, Non-detection, Protection from Cold
    4: Contagion, Farsight, Minor Sequencer, Remove Curse, Wizard Eye
    5: Conjure Lesser Elemental x 3, Phantom Blade, Protection from Acid
    6: Conjure Elemental x 3, Contingency, Stone to Flesh
    7: Cacofiend, Control Undead, Mantle, Protection from the Elements, Spell Sequencer
    8: Improved Mantle, Pierce Shield, Protection from Energy, Spell Trigger; Summon Fiend
    9: Absolute Immunity, Bigby's Crushing Hand, Energy Drain, Freedom, Gate

Be right back, gonna solo IWD:EE HoF with it :trollface:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Starting a new character in ToB it would be:

Lvl 1: armour, friends, identify, infravision, reflected image.
    Lvl 2: detect evil, detect invisibility, knock, know alignment, vocalize
    Lvl 3: clairvoyance, non-detection, protection from cold, protection from fire
    lvl 4: enchanted weapon, farsight, remove curse, wizard eye
    lvl 5: protection from acid, protection from electricity, spell shield, shadow door
    lvl 6: stone to flesh, contingency, spell deflection
    lvl 7: Limited wish (with a low wisdom), spell sequencer
    lvl 8: Protection from energy
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The worst sorcerer is the one who doesn't believe in himself.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

The worst sorcerer is the one who doesn't believe in himself.

Considering what stat Sorcerers are supposed to cast with, this is 100% true.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    And here I thought the most important stat for Sorcerers in the EE's is Laziness.
  • Armanz92Armanz92 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2016
    How about Time Stop to buff up with those rad spells like Friends, Infravision, Vocalize and Non-Detection during important battles, leaving your pathetic foes completely unable to harm you?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2016
    Hm, weakest spell picks:

1st lvl:
    -friends (no combat use)
    -infravision (no combat use)
    -armor (you can find better bracers in bg2 and even in bg1 easily) (pro from evil and petrification can save lives even in bg2!! armor spell, not so much!) alternatively sub it with chill touch
    -sleep (if playing bg2, this has little to no use so pick last, don't pick in bg1, pick chill touch instead and go try to touch ogrillions inappropriately with no protection spell and 10 hp total.)
    -color spray (practically same with sleep)

2nd:
    -detect evil
    -know alignment (no combat value)
    -luck (laughable duration)
    -vocalise (so you can cast more useless spells and be more useless while silenced!)
    -pw:sleep (very impractical in bg2, you have no other options to drop a foe to 20 hp fast anyway)

3rd:
    -Clairvoyance
    -Non detection
    -Detect Illusion

(useless spells end here for this level so I pick the least useful from now)
    -pro from cold (cold damage is rarer than fire)
    -pro from missiles (hardly worth it in bg2)

4th:
    -remove curse
    -minor sequencer (so you can cast two useless spells!)
    -wizard eye
    -farsight (very redundant with both wizard eye and farsight, you don't have other spells to use these effectively)
    -contagion

5th:
    -spell shield (you have no other protections to protect!)
    -oracle
    -phantom blade (without stoneskin, mirror image, pro from mw, try to melee ancient vampires with this it does +10 damage to them!) (pro from undead scroll is disallowed)
    -pro from acid (only useful once in bg2:when figting Draconis)
    -final pick is difficult, all spells have some value, go elemental summonings, they are the weakest and less useful

6th.
    -stone to flesh
    -contingency (you have useless spells!)
    -tenser's transformation (yeah, go attack with your dagger with no protection spells!)
    -carrion summons
    -again go for an elemental summoning, it is a bit risky and hard to use in combat and having two summons in one spell level is the epitome of redundancy.)

7th:
    -spell sequencer (go sequence three clairvoyances ftw!)
    -project image (more useless spell to cast!)
    -control undead (actually, pick this last. it may have some minor use)
    -limited wish (have abysmal wisdom)
    -hmm difficult to choose. all other spells has some use. will think on it. go Khelben's warding whip. useless against heavy spell casters/liches (can not remove spell trap, can not affect rakshasas and Demogorgon, and well, even if you remove spell protections what are you gonna do? Chill touch them?)

8th:
    -spell trigger
    -simulacrum (more useless spells!)
    -symbol:death
    -bigby's clenched fist (your first direct damage spell and it is bad)
    -symbol:fear (yeah have two symbols, and this one is only a bit better than death symbol, but fear immunity is very common in late bg2)

9th:
    -freedom
    -chain contingency!
    -energy drain! (ever dreamed of spawning 3 carrion summons against mind flayers, demon knights, liches, balors or beholders? wel now you can!)
    -wish (have 3 wisdom)
    -bigby's crushing hand (even worse than clenched fist)

Ofcourse you should delete HLA spells from your book via eekeeper, can't keep those powerful spells. Yeah someone should go ahead and finish the LoB mode with this sorcerer solo. Scrolls and cheesy methods are disallowed. With SCS. No reload. (evil laughter) (live stream video or it didn't happen!)
    Post edited by lunar on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    lunar said:

Hm, weakest spell picks:

Ofcourse you should delete HLA spells from your book via eekeeper, can't keep those powerful spells. Yeah someone should go ahead and finish the LoB mode with this sorcerer solo. Scrolls and cheesy methods are disallowed. With SCS. No reload. (evil laughter) (live stream video or it didn't happen!)

As I already told there is no need to delete them, choosing multiple times Alchemy is the way.

Imo delete spells or refuse to level up are not valid ways to answer to the OP question.
    As Korgan and Sarewok can be the worst fighters if you don't level up them and don't equip weapons to them, but you throw the weapons away. The spells are the weapons of a sorcerer, so we must assume that he uses his available weapons (spells) at the best, not that he trows them away.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    ^Oh, right. Some mod or another makes alchemy unavailable to mage hla table in my game so I forgot. I added it now myself, it should be fun to have something to pick over and over when all hlas are done.