Skip to content

Absolute Immunity confusion

Hi everyone,

I've been playing this game for quite some time now and I've been quite confused about something in regards to Absolute Immunity because I'm getting conflicting information.

Does Absolute Immunity protect against +5 weapons or only above +5? Will weapons like Crom Faeyr go through it?

I took a look at a BG2 wiki and it said that Crom Faeyr won't go through... and yet it also says that the upgraded Rune Hammer will. Aren't they both +5? What gives here?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    absolute immunity makes you immune to all weapons that are +5 and less for 4 rounds, the only way the upgraded rune hammer could get passed it would be if it were a bug ( perhaps in the original game)

so the only thing that gets passed absolute immunity in terms of weapons is a weapon that is +6 or better
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The only +6 weapons in the game (aside from spell created weapons) are all 2-handed and made by Cespenar.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Some weapon spells strike as +6 right? Things like shocking grasp I recall?
    Would they be a good alternative to get past absolute immunity?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Now that is interesting!
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Black Blade of Disaster's Disintegrate effect strikes as a level 9 spell and can restore level 9 spells in a Spell Trap.

Really interesting, I must work on some new infinite spell strategy using the feature, a simulacrum using BBoD has the potential to recharge the whole spellbooks of 3-4 mages with at least 1 lev 9 spell, including the bard using the SoTM :smiley:
    Unequipping any item that give AC and ST bonuses and using stoneskins to avoid physical damage it should work like a charm. :wink:

Absolute Immunity: nonmagical, +0, +1, +2, +3, and 5 weapons

So +5 weapons will bypass Absolute Immunity in an unmodded game. Unless EE changed that for some reason.

I suppose that "and 5" is a typo and you intended and 4.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited October 2016
    @gorgonzola: Just fixed the typo.

Also, the Disintegrate effect bypasses Stoneskin and a saving throw will not prevent a Spell Trap from absorbing it.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    So each hit with it will recharge a lev9 or less spell if the mage you hit has spell trap active and stoneskin to avoid physical damage, no need to worry about ST.
    Is the best infinite spell strategy that I can think about, strange that I never did find it anywhere, A F/M or F/T with UAI combining MMM and BBoD can recharge all the spellbooks of the party using a simulacrum or the one of the helm in 2-4 rounds, if a spell simulacrum is used completely for free.
    Without rhe randomness of Whish, better than using dwehomers and with much more speed and efficiency than the traditional spell trap trick.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    According to the baldurs gate wiki, absolute immunity protects against +5 weapons. I can't check the in game text at the moment but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

Assuming I'm correct then if absolute immunity doesn't protect against +5 weapons then that is a bug. Either the spell should be corrected or the spell description should be.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I never checked that in depth since the enemies that use absolute immunity are very few and there's no reason you'd use it yourself, for by the time you get level 9 spells your enemies won't use normal weapons so PfMW is simply better. However the description is confusing.
    Both mantle spells say "except +X or greater" while absolute immunity says "except for those greater than +5"