Skip to content

Help me choose protagonist class (full trilogy playthrough)

Hey there,

This is why I both love and hate RPGs, whenever I pick one I spend hours on character creation screen trying to choose character to play. More choice = bigger headache. So I would like to get some help with choosing class for full saga playthrough.

My idea of character is chaotic/good elf(half elf), sly, who use clever tactics instead of brute force to overcome his adversary. It have to be not too cheesy (otherwise it will make playthrough boring) but he have to be able to handle problems by himself.

P.s I also have to point out that certain mods are in play (particularly Rogue Rebalancing, Spell Revisions and Item revisions).

Comments

• ZerguuZerguu Member Posts: 37
    sarevok57 said:

why not try a half-elf fighter/mage/thief? ...

Thanks for info! I might try triple class, just how it will fair in 4 man party (experience)?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it will fair quite well, basically a F/M/T can handle almost any situation in the game, the only thing you are missing is the divine support,

so for a 4 man party, maybe you might want to do something like this: another warrior, a divine character, and perhaps another mage type character, and then your guy

also, if you only have a team of 4 guys, your experience will grow a little faster since you only have to share it between 4 characters as opposed to 6, which will really benefit your triple class character since you will need quite a bit of XP to grow up levels, but even in bg1 its not too bad, although in mid bg2 and beyond you will need huge XP to grow up levels, but your character will still be good none the less
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2016
    In a party of 4 he will level fast like a 2 classes multi in a party of 6. So for BG1 and the first part of BG2 SoA he will only a level less on average then a single class in 6 people party.
    From the second half of SoA he will be slowed a little more, since the relation between XP and levels is not linear, the main problem is that he will never reach lev 9 mage spells, unless you have an XP cap remover. Not a problem at all if you have an other mage, relevant if you play the FMT as the only mage.
    But even so he remains powerful and useful, the game can be won also without the lev 9 spells, and the power of a FMT is combining the 3 classes, not being the best possible in each one of them.
    He will not be an inferior fighter, mage and rogue, but a different one, powerful in a different way.
    The single class fighter will deal more dmg, from GM and maybe kit bonuses. The FMT can use his mage part to be untouchable (blurr, mirror images, stoneskin, PFMW) and tank better then a pure fighter, can open the battle with a deadly backstab or lure the enemy in some traps he has prepared, he can use his sequencers to debuff or damage the enemy loosing almost no mlee time. He loose a little raw mlee power but gain much more when he combine the 3 classes together.
    He is not only a great utility character covering 3 different functions, is a powerful one when he melt them together.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    F/M/T is a good choice. I personally have a hard time though managing all the restrictions and uses of a F/M/T: fights like a fighter, but can't wear armor like a mage, so it's difficult to put on the forefront--possible, certainly, but it requires tactics that a new player may not be familiar with at first. Can backstab like a thief, but getting them tough enough to survive after the backstab takes some minor work--also because he levels so much slower, choosing between trapfinding/lockpicking and hiding/move silently feels almost semi-permanent for the first part of the game. They get arcane spells at a slower rate, so you're always wondering why they can't fast as many spells as a mage. It is probably one of the best classes in the game, but I suspect it could be frustrating for a new player as their first play through.

From your description of what you envision your character to be, it sounds like you want to play someone that can hold his own in fight without being over-focused on combat but is also a sneaky adversary that uses his wits. May I suggest dropping the Mage from the f/m/t and going with a fighter/thief? They are very easy to play and require no baby-sitting or micromanaging, unlike a f/m/t. Plus, you don't need to bring another thief along at the beginning to compensate for your f/m/t not being high enough level to find most of the traps you need to find and unlock most of the locks you want to unlock (unless you prefer to focus on backstabbing at first).

I too suffer from my inability to choose what class I want to play. I just took a f/t through bg1, though, and it was a lot of fun--probably the most fun I have had in bg1.

Don't worry about ruining the challenge. The game is balanced enough that any character you make will face his fair share of challenges. There are always npcs out there to fill a gap that your character can't fill. I believe a f/t will fit better in a 4 person party than a f/m/t would, but that is my personal opinion. @sarevok57 is a much more experienced player than I am.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    If you want utility and versatility, then few things match the FMT. However, since you're not going solo, you don't need to be able to do anything and thus there might be value in going MC2 rather than MC3; F/T or F/M. So, if this is your first run, I would also recommend that perhaps going with F/T or F/M is the 'easier' route.

F/M: Strong fighter, buffed up with arcane spells you will be able to survive pretty much anything and still be able to dish out the damage. Great from the start to the end with pretty much zero drawbacks. Ofc levels faster than the FMT, but as pointed out in older threads (do a forum search), the difference is for large portions of the game quite small. Can wear certain armor pretty much designed for this class. Can weild pretty much any weapon you would ever want to weild. Can go down the dual weild route or whatever you want. You'll need a party thief and maybe a secondary mage if you want faster access to higher level spells. A very good choice and one of the all-time favorite "powergaming" classes.

F/T: Strong fighter ofc, same as above, but won't rely on spells. You'll get enough thief skill points to be the party's only thief, can scout, backstab (can only backstab with 'thief' weapons) and disarm traps/open locks. With points in pickpocket and some potions you can supply the party with gold and items. Late in the game you get one of the best HLA's, but not sure if I should write that out :) Also a very good choice and also one of the all-time favorite "powergaming" classes. Half-orc is an option for higher base strenght, but you stated you wanted to be elf or halfelf and elf get + with swords and bows, so that might be an option for you. Not really needed though, but a nice boon nonetheless.

F/M/T: Can do anything really. Slightly more limited in equipment if you want to avoid alot of item swapping (can only backstab with 'thief' weapons, taking armor on and off etc), but can use pretty much anything. The jack-of-all-trades. You can't go wrong choosing this, but for a first playthrough the many options might be almost too versatile?

A few other option who could be somewhat what you ask for are:

Blade: A 'weaker' version of a FM or FMT. Much more item dependent, but levels alot faster. Only pickpocketing thief skill. Great kit abilities, the spins.
    Thief/mage: Very versatile, but not a great fighter for obvious reasons. Can be buffed up for decent melee, but it's not really this class' forte. Give you great freedom in choosing NPC's though.
    Then of course you have all the dual class option, but since you wanted elf or halfelf, that's not really an option for you unless you want to 'cheat'. Also, some think that dualclassing is less intuitive for new players, but it can yeild great results and produce amazing charnames.

Have fun playing, whatever you choose!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Reading your OP I can't help but think that a Mage/Thief is your best pick. RR will let you be decent in melee but you'll rely more on your cunning and different strategies for different situations.

Definitely the best choice I think.
    Wowo said:

Reading your OP I can't help but think that a Mage/Thief is your best pick. RR will let you be decent in melee but you'll rely more on your cunning and different strategies for different situations.

Definitely the best choice I think.

Yes, it was my first thought, but there's one problem: Imoen. With Imoen in party I think there will be too much overlap.

Alright then, after some thoughts I've decided to roll with Mage/Thief multi. In NWN 1 I did OC with rogue/wizard mixture and it was fun. So I think I'll go with similar class. Thanks for a help.
    Zerguu said:

My idea of character is chaotic/good elf(half elf), sly, who use clever tactics instead of brute force to overcome his adversary...... he have to be able to handle problems by himself.

According to this the FMT is the one to go with.
    But what @mashedtaters and @Skatan tell is also true, for a new player merging well the 3 classes is not so easy, even if is also not so difficoult as there are mage spells to boost AC and to avoid damage at all, even in the lowest levels.
    Imo the multi F/T is a good option. F/M multi is also good, but less good, as a thief is needed anyway and later on a thief NPC will be less useful then a second mage.
    I still think that a FMT is the best choice, with a cleric and a couple of fighters in BG1 and swapping a fighter for a second mage in BG2 or keeping the 2nd fighter and swapping the cleric for the M/C NPC you find there (I don't want to spoil more than this).
    I disagree only on the following points:
    -FMT is not a jack-of-all-trades, he is a powerful one in all the trades, for the reasons I have already told.
    -Blade is not similar to multi FMT, is a completely different thing. He level at the rate of a single class and can somehow be a fighter, a mage and a rogue. But he do it in a completely different way, a not intuitive one. I love blades and play them often, but I think that they are for experienced players and that they cover a completely different role in the party, to have them fighting in an effective way need a lot of micromanaging and specific knowledge and as rogues they have only pickpoket, lore and some HLA, no traps and locks detecting and disarming, no hide and backstab, no traps setting before HLA.
    _Aboutt duals I think that they are not easy for a newbie, their down time need metaknowledge and some (legit) tricks other way their down time is just to long. Only knowing which quests are easier and how to save XP for leveling fast the second class in the down time make them worth. In SoA.
    As the toon have to go through the entire saga it is even worst, dualing too early produce a sub optimal toon later, dualing at the right level for SoA mean playing all BG1 with a single class or its very last part with a very low level second class only after the dualing.
    A dual through the whole saga is possible, but don't meet the requirements of the OP, for the whole first game he will rely only on brute force and without the trick that I don't suggest for a first run has to be babysitted for the first part of BG2, Is the choice of a PWGamer who focalize only on late game and is ready to sacrifices in the beginning to have that little more power in the end.
    @Zerguu want to follow a different route, creative and clever tactics instead of brute force, imho for him the dual is not the way to go.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    About effectiveness of a FMT in a party. In our MP run with @Tresset, @Gotural and other folks, we have party of 5 people: An Inquisitor, a wild mage, a swashbuckler, a cleric and a FMT. We're currently on 60-70% of BG1, have a look at the number of kills:

[spoiler=Inquisitor 512 kills]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=FMT 446 kills]

[/spoiler]

I would like to mention that the FMT has 18/76 STR and 19 DEX, while the Inquisitor has 18/00 STR and 18 DEX. The FMT specializes in short swords and two-weapon fighting, while the Inquisitor specializes in two-handed swords, crossbows and halberds.

So, a triple class is quite effective in a group, being on par with heavy warriors.
    Zerguu said:

Alright then, after some thoughts I've decided to roll with Mage/Thief multi. In NWN 1 I did OC with rogue/wizard mixture and it was fun. So I think I'll go with similar class. Thanks for a help.

I think that is a great choice! It allows you to have more versatility in your npc choices, and M/T meshes without having to worry about proficiency options, etc.. It can certainly become a frontliner with the right chosen options, but it seems to be more of what you are looking for: ability to use clever tactics to defeat his enemy. Backstabbing with a M/T is a true joy. Besides, F/T is more combat oriented and it seems that you were not so interested in having him be brute strength. You won't get board with either class, and there are plenty of tank npcs out there to help if you need it. A M/T would work great with a four person party.

Have a great time!
    Zerguu said:

Yes, it was my first thought, but there's one problem: Imoen. With Imoen in party I think there will be too much overlap.

And don't feel pressured to bring along Imoen.

Unless you are using the BGNPC mod, there isn't any noticeable difference from one NPC to another in terms of content in BG1.
    edited February 2016
    @bengoshi
    Analyzing your game has to be remarked that the number of the kills is similar (42% against 37%) but the Inquisitor has the double of xp from them, is he that often perform the last hit on the hard enemies.
    But is also true that in a multiplayer a FMT can not use his full potential, as he can clear full areas with his backstabs and traps, but is not funny for the other players just sit and watch....
    In a single player game the FMT is even stronger and more satisfying to play then in multiplayer.
    I completely agree with you about how FMT is effective in a group and on par with heavy warriors.

edited to add "@bengoshi".
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Zerguu said:

Good choice, one of my own favorite classes. Amazing versatility, and as I said above, also allows great freedom in choice of NPC companions since you can do so much yourself.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Elf - FMT with Bow and Longsword bonuses will evolve into the most effective member for a quartet playthrough but most players choosing that option will have become aware of certain easy ways to accrue early XP so that Charname can get to Level 2-2-3+ FMT before recruiting other party members than Imoen.

Without that early boost the FMT will remain one-shot bait for an annoying length of time IMHO. And will also take seemingly forever to get even Level 2 Mage spells, such as Mirror Image. etc.

Note however that certain NPCs will then only be recruitable in their mid-level versions which may not be maximised per HP.

• Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94

Elf - FMT with Bow and Longsword bonuses will evolve into the most effective member for a quartet playthrough but most players choosing that option will have become aware of certain easy ways to accrue early XP so that Charname can get to Level 2-2-3+ FMT before recruiting other party members than Imoen.

Without that early boost the FMT will remain one-shot bait for an annoying length of time IMHO. And will also take seemingly forever to get even Level 2 Mage spells, such as Mirror Image. etc.

I agree. that is one of the big problems with a triple class. I usually play a fighter thief. Mage is a nice class to play but the fact you can't wear armor and cast magic is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2016
    Elven mage/thief is a great combo for a four pack.
    As far as Imoen goes, I play a thief regularly. This is how I deal with her -

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/797466#Comment_797466