Skip to content

Baeloth

yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
So..

Baeloth is a fun NPC to bring along.

His dialogue is entertaining and he comes with a wide variety of spells.

I have a question regarding his casting abilities though.

I picked him up yesterday and chose first the 'advanced AI' script, and later 'wizard aggressive'.

But he doesn't seem to cast any spells.

Does he require micro managing for his spells, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

/A.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    If I remember correctly, he starts off with all his spells exhausted (as this is taking place immediately after the final battle of The Black Pits) - resting should fix the problem. :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the wizard aggressive script only works with certain offensive spells ( usually just the level 1 spells, plus hold monster - level 5-) , so I would suggest putting him on the "advanced ai" script instead
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    Hello, thanks for the input.

The party has rested, so it can't be that.

I notice he sometimes used Burning Hands in script mode, but stills seems to prefer going into melee.

And for some reason never casts defensive spells such as Mirror Image.

Is he better used as micro-managed?

/A.
    sometimes I can find npc scripting a little buggy, if ya want, I can make a better "wizard aggressive" script for ya, where he will cast mirror image ( when he sees an enemy ) and have stoneskin cast at all times, and make it so that as soon as he sees an enemy, he will cast offensive spells

so just tell me what offensive spells you want him to cast and I will make it so those are the only ones that he casts ( and it what order, by default im going to do highest level to lowest level)

and depending on how soon I get the info, I can have it done sometime Oct 7, pacific time ( time zone)
    Skatanmf2112
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    yksimalt said:

Hello, thanks for the input.

The party has rested, so it can't be that.

I notice he sometimes used Burning Hands in script mode, but stills seems to prefer going into melee.

And for some reason never casts defensive spells such as Mirror Image.

Is he better used as micro-managed?

/A.

Every npc works better micromanaged.
    mf2112
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If a certain script is not working, report it according to the instructions here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs
    It is very kind of you.

I was planning to use Baeloth as an offensive spell caster with directed spells (i.e. not fireball).

First, I would prefer him to cast defensive spells to protect himself.

Ideas of which spells to choose?

/A.
    well, if I made the script, I would make it so he will cast mirror image if he sees a baddie,

next if he has stoneskin, I will make it so he has it cast at all times ( since it has a huge duration)

then I would give him an offensive list of what to cast, since he is a sorcerer, I would have to be very specific on what he would cast first, since he doesn't cast spells like a wizard does, usually for my mages I do it in this order:

level 5 : hold monster
    level 4 : emotion hopelessness
    level 3 : slow ( or maybe flame arrow)
    level 2 : melf's acid arrow
    level 1 : magic missile

and then if he runs out of spells, he will use whatever weapon is in his main hand ( probably more ranged orientated)

I might add armor or shield to the buff list, but the thing is, I don't want to add too many buff spells to the script or else every battle all he will do is be buffing and more buffing, and the time he is done buffing, your battle might be done, although mage armor has a pretty big duration so I might do that one ( if it stacks with his robe that is, if it doesn't, then I wont)

but usually mirror image and stoneskin do the trick ( but for those lower levels I think I will add in shield as well)

so unless otherwise noted, that is how I will make the script, if you want any spells changed or added, just let me know, I will start work on it Saturday October 8 pacific time
    Your suggestions seems fine.

Is Hold Monster necessary?

The groups main tank is a Dwarven Defender, played by a friend. He usually succeeds in 'aggroing' foes.

After he has, the rest of us aim for high damage dealt per time unit, and as you say, if Baeloth buffs too much, or spends time on non damage spells, the battle is over before he is done.

/A.
    hold monster is probably one of the best offensive level 5 mage spells, since it can affect 1d4 creatures, and comes with a -2 penalty to the save, even boss creatures can get hit by it, and it doesn't affect team mates
    so apparently I already have this script made ( I've must have had the same problem so I made one myself already) this script will even work in bg2 if you need it to, and it goes as follows:

stoneskin will always be cast on the caster at all times

caster will cast mirror image when they see an enemy

spell offensive list: ( in order of casting)

timestop
    improved alacrity
    comet
    dragons breath ( although apparently these spells hurt party members now for some reason so if you want to use these spells and have them not hurt party members like they are supposed to, I can fix those for you as well)

abidalzim's horrid wilting
    symbol stun
    power word blind

power word stun
    finger of death

chain lightning

hold monster

emotion hopelessness

slow

melf's acid arrow

magic missile