Skip to content

What if... Gorion hadn't died?

2»

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Anduin You drank the potion... you can't die...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    mlnevese said:

@Anduin You drank the potion... you can't die...

But in a way... he kinda did.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    @Anduin See the bright side: you'll be reborn a stronger and wiser gnome.
  • HarpyProductionsHarpyProductions Member Posts: 20
    God said:

I have quite a developed 'Your Foster Father Gorion' mod idea in mind, but suspended that for the time being, as I have another major modding project underway.

Gorion's ward would faint upon seeing Sarevok and have a nightmare of Gorion being killed, so as to avoid having to rewrite & revoice everything and allow more storytelling options. Then, upon waking up, Charname feels the warmth of campfire and sees Gorion next to them, along with an Old Man, who explain that they used illusion tricks and teleportation magics to escape the encounter with 'those brigands'. At this point, a choice is given. Charname can act insane-I-saw-you-die-old-man-like and say YOU ARE NOT MY FATHER, making both Gorion and the Old Man explode, the resulting doppelgangers chasing Charname back to the gates of Candlekeep, where they would be slain by the watch. If, however, Charname acts in the lines of good to see ya dad, then the alternate reality triggers and Gorion is really alive and having tea with Charname & Elminster. Actually, not much of the storyline needs adjustments, as Khalid and Jaheira would likely talk Gorion into helping them with the mine business (which would also force a coming-out-I-am-a-Harper from Gorion) and then the rest keeps nicely rolling. A small number of dialogues would need alterations, and a lot of partonizing (taking that over from Elminster) and taking actual charge of the party from Gorion would have to be written but it would be a straightforward job throughout the less dialogue-intensive BG. SoD would be easy, too, but SoA and ToB would be a bit more difficult, as there's more talk about Gorion there. Very doable overall, with the only concern being balance, as Gorion is a high level mage and probably would have to suffer from many, many geriatric diseases to make him less overpowered a party member.

no need to retcon things like that. just create a body that we can keep and bring to the cleric to be raised.
    like that quest we bring a guy to the friendly arm inn. gorion is level 9, this is what the baldurs gate wiki says. so it only takes 900 gold to resurrect him
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    If Gorion doesn't die, there is no game. At least, there is no BG. Drama requires tragedy, comedy requires things being broken. If everything is nice and people get along, there is no story.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I suppose for some evil PC runs, Gorion and the PC could both have gotten away and become separated ,with Gorion running into PC later to redeem, try and capture, or destroy his evil taint (in Gorion's eyes). PC does not head to FAI first but south straight out the gate with Monty and Xzar.
    Just an idea for the 'What if... '
    Shoot, for that matter, Gorion could have decided to take evil PC out for a walk like Old Yeller, but before he could do the deed (probably lightning bolts, he just loves lightning bolts) Saervok interrupts. I could even see him showing up like ol El every now and again to try and talk some sense into evil PC. Then if it fails after so many attempts we get one of those; 'We shall not meet again, but if we do it will not be under friendly circumstances.' speeches given (much later).
    Would be interesting and the game could continue. B)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Zaghoul said:

Shoot, for that matter, Gorion could have decided to take evil PC out for a walk like Old Yeller, but before he could do the deed (probably lightning bolts, he just loves lightning bolts) Saervok interrupts.

"Look at the flowers Charname..."
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited February 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Zaghoul said:

Shoot, for that matter, Gorion could have decided to take evil PC out for a walk like Old Yeller, but before he could do the deed (probably lightning bolts, he just loves lightning bolts) Saervok interrupts.

"Look at the flowers Charname..."
    Hehheh :D
    I mean for an exceptionally evil PC he has got to have it cross his mind once or twice at least. The way detect evil works in the game, he almost has to.
    I remember in PnP we used detect evil a little differently. The PC or NPC had to be thinking something evil at the time as opposed to just basing it on what alignment showed up on the description. Even evil PC's are not "thinking" evil constantly.
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    Mush_Mush said:

Tamoko casts dispel magic. Gorion recasts protection from magical weapons. Sarevok is slaughtered by Gorion. Tamoko weeps.

"Come child we must hurry."

Credits roll.

OMG
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited June 2018
    Gandalf doesn’t... yeah, actually Gandalf “dies” as far as Frodo knows...

Maybe Parda or somebody can find the body and resurrect him, and become a companion in ToB...

MAYBE SANDRAH CAN RESURRECT HIM JUST BECAUSE SHE IS SANDRAH.

Let me think....

Yeah! I knew there is an exception! Roderic Borja (Pope Alexander VI) doesn’t die any time soon for his son an pupil Cèsar Borja, not before he becomes already an epic fighter/assassin with stronghold and followers. There you go.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399

He would have killed Sarevok. Game ends.

I agree... He would have killed Sarevok, then returned to CandleKeep. The bg2 baddy would have chosen someone else, Charname would end up in Saradush with Gorion and hopefully escaped. TOB baddy would face Balthazar.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    fluke13 said:

He would have killed Sarevok. Game ends.

I agree... He would have killed Sarevok, then returned to CandleKeep. The bg2 baddy would have chosen someone else, Charname would end up in Saradush with Gorion and hopefully escaped. TOB baddy would face Balthazar.
    And then Bhaal would have returned when Balthazaar killed himself (assuming Mel lost).
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    "Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss"
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018
    what could happen if Bhaalspawn's foster father wasn't slaughtered by Sarevok and his party

Rieltar learns of the death of Sarevok. He asks the diviner in Baldur's Gate who did it. After learning it was Gorion, a known Harper, he fears that the Harpers have gotten wind of his plan to increase iron prices. He arranges for you to be kidnapped, hoping to get Gorion to come to your rescue. When he does he then ambushes Gorion and uses an anti-magic field to do it. In the chaos of the battle you escape.

You don't know anything about why you were kidnapped, so the game procedes as normal, except Rieltar is the one to send assassins after you and to frame you for killing some other group at Candlekeep (where you also learn about your heritage). The final battle is you killing Rieltar in the streets of Baldur's Gate. When you do (having fulfilled your lust for murder) you transform into the slayer. The subsequent games then deal with the fallout of this very public reveal (and the rise of the bhaalspawn to the south)