Skip to content

What if... Gorion hadn't died?

Personally, i'm quite interested in what could happen if Bhaalspawn's foster father wasn't slaughtered by Sarevok and his party. If i remember correctly, Gorion sought to bring his ward to FAI, where his companion Harpers(Jaheira&Khalid) were waiting, but what was the next step we do not know.
Maybe investigating this iron shortage(and if so, then going to Nashkel Mines, just as we did in BG1)? But this seems way to risky, so my best guess is to think the protagonist was to be taken to Harpers' base in Baldur's Gate(since it's the nearest biggest city) and used, probably, as a beacon to discover other Bhaalspawns(and, maybe, destroy them) or something like that - this goal seems quite suitable for the organization like Harpers.

What are your guesses? Post them here. Also feel free to correct me, if needed - i'm not very lore-knowleadgeable and stuff :) Haven't played SoD yet(im on the way to it, btw), so i might have missed something from it.

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Fardragon said:

Such a violation of narrative law would no doubt cause the universe to collapse in chaos.

The universe had worse.
    For an example, marvel this sample of a click language narrative presented by a handsome San tribesman.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Kurona said:

Mentor figures either die or end up being evil, at which point the hero kills them. Which means they also die. Alternatively they're evil but repent at the last minute before sacrificing themselves to save the hero from a bigger evil. So they still die.

Bottom line don't be a mentor figure, ever.

There are also cases where the mentors are actually the protagonists of the story. And their fledgelings the side characters. Admittingly such stories are in the minority of things. But the narrative possibilities of such turn-outs exceed by far the norm imho.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    he would have died anyways as thats what happens with mentors.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Unless the Gorion we've come to know and love was replaced by a Doppelganger and was marching us off to be sacrificed and forgot to tell others the plans were changed, and was killed. The real Gorion, who knows what happened to him.

Everyone in Forgotten Realms can be a doppelganger. You never know. And even if you know, you don't know if the doppelganger wasn't replaced by a doppelganger. Or the doppelganger's doppelganger. And if Planescape-like relativity is taken into account, basically everyone can be Bhaal incarnate, or Elminster, or a squirrel, or all of the above, simultaneously, while doppelganging :trollface:
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    If Gorian didn't die..............

A few days later while staying at an inn, Imoen is observed nicking some gems from a chest and he mercilessly slaughters her in front of Charname.

Charname gets into an argument with the gate guards over "him looking at him funny", Charname gets mercilessly slaughtered by Gorion.

Power word; reload.

The guy shows us in Candlekeep that his idea of parenting is slightly towards the authoritarian end of the scale should Charname step out of line.
    Ironically, Sarevok probably saved Charname's life.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    He would have killed Sarevok. Game ends.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    By the way, wasn't there a bug in earlier versions of Baldur's Gate where Gorion actually DOES kill Sarevok?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2016

By the way, wasn't there a bug in earlier versions of Baldur's Gate where Gorion actually DOES kill Sarevok?

The only bug I'm aware of (regarding that scene) was the one from the original where low health characters (characters that start with very low constitution) could actually get killed by the arrow shot at you.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

I kinda doubt that Gorion would do THAT, he is Lawful Good after all. They tend to have very high standards and rules.

Unless the Gorion we've come to know and love was replaced by a Doppelganger and was marching us off to be sacrificed and forgot to tell others the plans were changed, and was killed. The real Gorion, who knows what happened to him.

I don't think all Liches start off as Lawful Good... But it helps. You need to do something bad to become a Lich... And the more virtuos you are, the easier it is to make that bigger fall.

I don't make the rules but for some reason microwaving kittens is seen as a wholly appropriate procedure to avoid leaving your mortal coil behind... However you cannot deny they taste good with gravy.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    elminster said:

The only bug I'm aware of (regarding that scene) was the one from the original where low health characters (characters that start with very low constitution) could actually get killed by the arrow shot at you.
    I heard that it was possible but extremely rare for Gorion to Kill Sarevok in vanilla BG (before any patches/totsc), but it required max damage rolls on every spell. I think it just caused the game to lock up.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

elminster said:

I heard that it was possible but extremely rare for Gorion to Kill Sarevok in vanilla BG (before any patches/totsc), but it required max damage rolls on every spell. I think it just caused the game to lock up.
    I've heard that as well but never managed to experience it. Assuming it wasn't an urban legend of zelda, it must have been patched pretty quickly.