Skip to content

Bounty Hunter?

Hey dudes.

I'm nowhere near ready to start a new character, as I'm only halfway through SoD with my current saga run, but I always like to plan ahead and hype myself up for the next playthrough. Granted, that probably won't happen right after I finish ToB, but it never hurts to have ideas on the back burner.

Anyway, I'm ashamed to admit that I've never played a Thief to its full potential before. I've always used them as archers that can pick locks and find traps, occasionally going in for a backstab or two. I want to change this on my next play through, and one skill I've never used, ever, is set traps. With this in mind, the Bounty Hunter seemed like a pretty fun class to play to really take advantage of this ability. I'd planned on building him as a sneaky guy, scouting out the area and backstabbing as much as possible, all while setting up traps for his enemies- pretty much how the class is intended, as far as I can tell.

I guess my question is, is this class as awesome as it seems? I plan to take along another thief to handle the lockpicking so I can focus all my attention where it needs to be (set trap, HiS, and move silently). Has anyone played this class before? Pretty much all my playthroughs will be BG1 all the way through to ToB, so is the Bounty Hunter still viable late game? How do his traps hold up against some of the more difficult enemies you encounter?

Thanks dudes.

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Never played as Bounty Hunter but i can assure you that after you will get your HLA in BG2 the traps will be deadly. Almost every big fight could be easily won with HLA traps, and this is true for thieves in general.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Haven't played them much but on paper they look great.
    The -5 thief skill points per level (compared to standard thief) is negligible considering how quickly thieves max out their abilities anyway. Pick a gnome or dwarf for a starting boost in set trap ability (dwarves have a max starting dex of 17 which dings other abilities as well, making them less attractive, IMO).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Bounty Hunter used to have throwable traps but I believe that has been "fixed". I found it a class feature but cest la vie
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Interesting. I'm a total class-purist so the idea of a fighter/thief, as cool as you've made it sound, wouldn't sit well with me, hahahah.
    I do have an extra question, though. The BH's special snare apparently encases the trapped creature in an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at level 16 or so. If I understand that spell correctly, no damage can enter or leave the sphere, so the Bounty Hunter essentially goes from doing crazy damage (4d8+something? I think.) with his special snare, to not being able to damage the creature at all? That seems odd to me.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Papa_Lou said:

Interesting. I'm a total class-purist so the idea of a fighter/thief, as cool as you've made it sound, wouldn't sit well with me, hahahah.
    I do have an extra question, though. The BH's special snare apparently encases the trapped creature in an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at level 16 or so. If I understand that spell correctly, no damage can enter or leave the sphere, so the Bounty Hunter essentially goes from doing crazy damage (4d8+something? I think.) with his special snare, to not being able to damage the creature at all? That seems odd to me.

The reason for that is that the Bounty Hunter was primarily designed to provide extra tactical options rather than extra damage. Being able to break up groups of enemies into manageable chunks by using Otiluke's (and later maze) is very useful against tougher opponents. Having said that I seem to remember a Beamdog announcement saying that Otiluke's is no longer used by Bounty Hunters in the EE ...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    alceryes said:

Haven't played them much but on paper they look great.
    The -5 thief skill points per level (compared to standard thief) is negligible considering how quickly thieves max out their abilities anyway. Pick a gnome or dwarf for a starting boost in set trap ability (dwarves have a max starting dex of 17 which dings other abilities as well, making them less attractive, IMO).

Dwarves do get some of the best racial thieveing bonuses initially to offset this though.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I tried having a bounty hunter in my party. Their good, but I found them to be a bit over hyped.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2016

Dwarves do get some of the best racial thieveing bonuses initially to offset this though.

They'll definitely offset a human with 18 DEX but I don't think those extra bonuses offset a gnome's bonus and 18 DEX. Gnomes win by about 20-25 points overall.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Papa_Lou - I've played a Bounty Hunter through BGEE (almost soloed it. Almost = went mostly solo, with sometimes having NPCs around for sub-quests and for last fight with Sarvy) plus big chunk of BG2EE. On Hard difficulty

Bounty Hunters are awesomely funny, but you need to be prepared to use them as Trap-centric Thieves. (eg, set traps, scout ahead, backstab or snipe enemies and then lead them for a painful stroll around the booby-trapped valley of doom. Not melee fighters.)
    Meta-gaming in knowing, when to prepare a trap before a fight helps. If you do not know the game by heart, or do not want to meta-game, fair enough but be prepared to play cautiously (as said before - prepare a few traps upon entering a new area, scout around in stealth and in case of a tough fight, lead the creatures to your snares) Luckily, a Bounty Hunter has double the traps a normal Thief has so this approach is viable.

My take from this - if you like to play Thieves as versatile characters that use every trick in their sleeve and LOVE traps...go for it. If you like to just click on an enemy and wait for them to die while your charname whacks them with a twohander - forget it.

To your question regarding the special traps and Otiluke's Resilient sphere - the special traps become not a damage dealing instrument, but an instrument of crowd-control. You catch half of the enemy's group in bubbles, unable to do anything and kill the rest. Once they emerge, their friends are dead and they are about to be slaughtered by the survivors. Crowd control.

Southpaw, resident brain surgeon and Thief enthusiast
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    The traps are not throwable in BGEE. They were in BG2EE until 2.0. I have not played a BH yet into SoD or BG2EE since 2.0, so cannot totally confirm if this is the case still (or at all in SoD).

alceryes said:

They'll definitely offset a human with 18 DEX but I don't think those extra bonuses offset a gnome's bonus and 18 DEX. Gnomes win by about 20-25 points overall.

This is true. Dwarves though get better saves and constitution than gnomes. Their hooded avatars are also more stylish.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I'm not sure Id prefer 19 con and 17 dex to an 18 in each even with the death save as a pure class thief. I don't usually tank as a thief and there aren't a ton of ranged or area death saves. The vs magic stuff is the same and so are the hit points
    Yes agree. Gnome is mechanically more advantageous due to the dexterity issue, especially in the early levels.

At higher levels that issue is not as relevant though, as skill points will be adequate and the +1 ranged bonus will be less important. But the +5 death/poison save and regeneration remain benefits.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    by the time the skill points are a non issue so is the regeneration. Rings of regeneration are easy to get in BG2. Honestly with buckleys buckler regeneration with a gnome is achievable at level 1 nearly as fast as with a dwarf. The extra AC as a pure thief combined with the skill points really outweighs the death save to me. Other than a few poisons I'm not even sure how many death saves you make all game
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Aerakar said:

Yes agree. Gnome is mechanically more advantageous due to the dexterity issue, especially in the early levels.

At higher levels that issue is not as relevant though, as skill points will be adequate and the +1 ranged bonus will be less important. But the +5 death/poison save and regeneration remain benefits.

Also the tome of dexterity.
    @PK2748 you have inspired me to try a gnome bounty hunter run. The extra starting skill points and AC from the 18 dexterity are tempting trades for the poison save bonuses. That and I found a great gnome thief portrait made by @Astafas!

I agree the early regeneration is not really a factor so it comes down to +1 dex versus +5 poison saves.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Bounty Hunter is a lot of fun, and if nothing else it will be a gateway towards "using Thieves properly", as you put it. You can't play a Bounty Hunter and forget to use the traps, whereas indeed, I too always forgot to use traps on my Thieves prior to playing this kit. That's likely because the only Thief leveling up in BG2 was for a very long time Jan Jansen, who I didn't take along very often, and who eventually gains so many spells that it's even easier to forget to Set Snares than ever.

Anyway, that's going off topic. I only wanted to affirm you're doing the right thing for teaching yourself how to make good use of snares. Altogether, it promises to be a fun class. I agree that it may be best to take a second Thief along with you, although a multiclass Thief like Montaron might do the job.

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is a very useful ability, though perhaps less so when deployment isn't as certain as when a Mage plainly chooses the target. I'm not sure how frequently it is saved against either, as it has been a long time since I used that strategy - but it was once one of my staples! In any case, the mid-late SoA point is definitely a low-light for Thieves, as well as being one of the longest stages of the game in my opinion, so regardless of how effective you find your kit abilities to be by that point, you'll not be having the time of your life comparative to if you'd played a Mage. :)