Skip to content

Best race for bounty hunter elf or halfling?

AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
It seems it is a toss-up between halfling (best overall skill bonuses, high dex, shorty saving throws) and elf (decent skill bonuses, bonus with bows/swords, charm resistance, high dex, no strength penalty so 19 possible in BG:EE). I wish dwarf was a contender, but that 17 dex is a killer on the stats and results in lower AC and lower ranged THAC0 (they seem outstanding F/Ts though).

Long-term and assuming a trilogy run, does the potential for 19 strength midway through the first game without belts and the always useful +1 with bows/swords trump the potential +5 saving throw bonuses of the halfling?

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @Aerakar It depends on whether you want to be better at being a thief or better at being melee. Because if you want to be a contender in melee, you should pick elf, because there would be no disadvantage for doing so. But if you are planning on staying more of a ranged character, play a halfling, use slings, and you'll have a better starting bonus with them than an elf would have with bows.
  • I like the Dwarf angle. Dwarf racial bonuses ensure that your Set Traps, Find Traps, and Open Locks skills will be up to snuff with the same speed an Elf or Halfling could have them ready, and in the long run you're going to have more skill points than you could possibly need. You'll be two points of THAC0 behind an Elf or Halfling at ranged combat with their respective racial weapons, which does hurt early on, but throwing daggers will be where the action is once you get that Strength tome.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Dwarf or half Orc.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We need to summon @Blackraven here, the master of thieves and bounty-hunters in particular, judging by the number of playthroughs he's made through BG1 and BG2 with thieves and bounty-hunters.

As for me, I would focus on the question of @Aerakar in the OP: "Long-term and assuming a trilogy run, does the potential for 19 strength midway through the first game without belts and the always useful +1 with bows/swords trump the potential +5 saving throw bonuses of the halfling?"

I'm sure that it depends on how you play. If it's a no-reload game, I would take saving throws any day of the week. Nothing can be better than reaching the negative saving throws as fast as possible.

Also, take a note that you're playing as a bounty hunter. To me, this kit is more about traps than backstabs. If so, than not the highest possible starting STR is not a problem. I would focus on setting traps and luring enemies into them so that "BAM! All dead".

I'm usually playing with 75-abilitities characters and have got used to not having a maximum STR. In BG2, you need only money to get 19 STR not long after the start while in BG1 a character is usually more than capable through the part before reaching the Baldur's Gate city.

So, personally, I would focus on shorties for a bounty hunter. A halfling, a gnome and a dwarf. Choose the one you like more from the RP point of view.

+5 "Shorty" Saving Throws start at CON 18, not 19, but take a note that the Claw of Kazgaroth is a very useful item in a solo game, but it lowers your CON, so a dwarf here would be better if you plan to use this item (starting with 19, getting a tome then lowering your con with the Claw you still get 18 CON in the end).

Dwarves and Halflings bonus saving throws vs. Death/Spells/Wands while Gnomes only get them vs. Spells and Wands.

Don't forget the Buckley's Buckler. Which particular bonuses you get is determined at each level up, so you can simply put on this shield before cliking to level up - this way additional +1 CON will help in determining bonuses.

As you've probably guessed, I would choose a Dwarf. His -1 penalty to DEX is neglectable because you can find a tome of DEX, and there's not a big difference between having 18 and 19 DEX in the end.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I'm with the Dwarf advocates because (i) 20 CON + Claw of Kazgaroth = great saves, (ii) good racial thieving bonuses means skill points aren't an issue, and (iii) Dwarven Bounty Hunter is about as badass as it gets in this game.

In the early game they're slightly less effective in combat than Halflings with Darts (Stunning, sold in Ulgoth's Beard and by the fence at Durlag's Tower, and Wounding are just great) or Elves with bows or with swords for backstabs. But that disadvantage diminishes soon enough.

Between Elf and Halfling the latter race with their saves bonuses is the most resilient and thus easier for a no-reloader, while efficient item use and aura management are requisites for successfully playing an Elven Bounty Hunter. If that appeals to you you'll be rewarded with a better backstabber and general combatant than the Halfling. If reloading is not an issue then it doesn't matter much beyond the early game which class you pick.
    @Aerakar, you're welcome. I'm glad to see a fellow Thief appreciator.

As to roleplaying, I tend to play Halflings as Swashbucklers, Dwarves as Bounty Hunters (same concept as you described above), and Elves as Assassins.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Interestingly @Grum, my dwarf - as expected - is able to down prodigious quantities of stouts and ales in his efforts to stay apace with the issues of the day and petty gossips of the people of the Sword Coast, regularly imbibing 5-7 ales in his inn and tavern fact-finding efforts with no ill effects. I will field test where the limit lies. Another dwarf win from their indomitable constitutions no doubt!
  • Monkeyboy888888Monkeyboy888888 Member Posts: 10
    I'm also thinking of a bounty hunter playthrough, but I know the special trap is bugged at the moment. is there any workaround to solve the issue?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

I'm also thinking of a bounty hunter playthrough, but I know the special trap is bugged at the moment. is there any workaround to solve the issue?

Bugged how?
  • Monkeyboy888888Monkeyboy888888 Member Posts: 10
    Wowo said:

Bugged how?
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/543505/#Comment_543505
    edited September 2015
    My game does not do this, although I use Rogue Rebalancing in my set-up so the traps are changed. I saw a workaround you can download for vanilla BG:EE and will see if I can find it.
    Post edited by Aerakar on
    On my dwarf, I went with crossbows, to try something new (usually I roll with short bows for the arrow assortment for my thieves) and am now saving for LCoS.
    Here is a link that discusses the Otiluke's bug at level 1 and level 11, apparently not at levels 2-10 in BG:EE. Using the Rogue Rebalancing BH kit changes also avoids this, but the kit changes are not for everyone as they gimp some aspects of the BH (but personally I like the changes, they are logical for a thief and I think they add tremendous RP flavor).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41730/bonty-hunter-traps-bg-ee-vs-bg2-ee
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Dwarf
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42020/info-about-bounty-hunter

Here is a discussion where a poster provides a fix for the BH Otiluke's Sphere trap bug at level 1 and level 11 in BG:EE discussed above.

My Dwarf BH is in Cloakwood and about to pick up the Boots of Speed (using short swords, crossbows, daggers). I am so enjoying this guy! I am focusing solely on stealth and set traps, with a little in detect illusions (aiming for 25% at end game BG1). I will expand the other skills in BG2 and use Yoshimo as a 2nd thief during the first 1/2 of the game (I have never taken him so want to see how it plays out).

• cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322

@Aerakar, you're welcome. I'm glad to see a fellow Thief appreciator.

As to roleplaying, I tend to play Halflings as Swashbucklers, Dwarves as Bounty Hunters (same concept as you described above), and Elves as Assassins.

Hey Blackraven, I definitely admire your thief knowledge and gameplay and was wondering how you would go about building an elven assassin?

cbarchuk said:

Hey Blackraven, I definitely admire your thief knowledge and gameplay and was wondering how you would go about building an elven assassin?

Wow thanks @cbarchuk! Elven Assassins are imo relatively hard to build compared to other Thief kits since they have serious Thac0 issues for an offense-based Thief kit, and besides limited skill points.

18 Str and 19 Dex are evidently desirable: 18 Str for optimal melee Thac0, max Dex for ranged Thac0 and thieving bonuses.
    You could consider maximizing Con as well, because with 18 Con (17 at character creation plus one from the Lighthosue tome) you'll be able to equip the Claw of Kazgaroth at no HP penalty for massive saves bonuses, +1 AC bonus, and +4 AC against missiles. You will suffer a penalty on your saves vs death, which in BG1 equals saves vs poison. But green scrolls of PfPoison and antidotes and health elixirs allow you to neutralize poison risk/damage.
    The other stats aren't as important. Ideally you'd have around 15 Int, 12 Wis and 9-10 Cha at character creation. 15+ mental stats give slight lore bonuses, and 16 Int helps against Mind Flayer intelligence drains in BG2.

For starting weapons I'd recommend Long Swords or Short Swords and Short Bows. The racial bonuses for Elves with those weapons (+1 to Thac0) stack nicely with Assassins' passive attack bonus (+1 to Thac0 and Damage). I'm partial to Long Swords rather than Short Swords because one of BG1's best weapons, Varscona, is a long sword that's available pretty early on in the game. The level 4 proficiency point could go to to single weapon style for the AC bonus and for an increased critical backstab chance. The level 8 proficiency point could go to Short Swords if you intend to use the Short Sword of backstabbing at the end of the game.
    I personally always play with the P&P dual-wielding for rogues component from the Song & Silence or Rogue Rebalancing mods. That component allows three pips in Two Weapon Fighting. It would make your Assassin a bit more versatile. If you use it, you might consider investing proficiency points in TWF rather than SWS and Short Swords.

Thieving skills:
    Note that the following is written for a solo Assassin or one who acts as the only Thief in a party. Skill points aren't much of an issue in a party with one or more other Thieves.

Taking into account the Dex tome, a 20 Dex Elven Assassin has the following racial/dex skill bonuses:

OL 30
    FT 20
    PP 40
    MS 33
    HiS 33
    DI 10
    ST 15

They get 40 skill points at character creation plus 135 skill points by level 10, so in 175 in total. Of those I'd invest around 75 in MS/HiS for 141 aggregate stealth. Of the remaining 100 skill points I'd invest 50 in FT, and 50 in ST. DI is a great skill in BG2, and deserves investing in with the first level-ups in BG2. OL and PP are nice too, but I wouldn't bother. There are potions for those skills and besides, with 19 Str and the DUHM Bhaalpower you'll be able to bash a lot of locks.
    Btw the Rogue Rebalancing mod adds a few items to both BG1 and BG2 that give slight boosts to Dex / thieving skills.

Oh no, now look what you did. I want to roll an Assassin myself... and I'm supposed to limit myself to my role-played Wizard Slayer run.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to type out all this fantastic information. Which thief class or kit is your favorite to play overall? Dwarven Bounty Hunter I assume? :wink:
    Outstanding Assassin rundown @Blackraven. The Claw of Kazgaroth is one of my favorite items in the game. I also find Detect Illusions becoming more and more mandatory on my thieves after using it in BG1 with SCS installed. Together with stealth and the Dagger of Venom, mages are short work (except for that Ogre Mage by Firewine Bridge, probably the most difficult battle in BG1 with SCS, at least for me).

I am now inspired to do an Elven Assassin run, but only once I finish my Dwarven Bounty Hunter!
    cbarchuk said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to type out all this fantastic information. Which thief class or kit is your favorite to play overall? Dwarven Bounty Hunter I assume? :wink:

Hey you're welcome :) As to your question, I think Dwarven Bounty Hunter is indeed my favorite but that's thanks not only to the special snares, which are great, but in large part also to my experiences with my character Norgath. I just love everything about him: the portrait just screams 'Better not mess with me', the colors I set for his attire in Shadowkeeper, his being a Dwarf and a skilled mechanical Thief, and the Lawful Evil alignment and personality (a callous, lone hunter of men who accepts any job and sees it through).

Thanks @Aerakar, I'm really tempted myself as well :)
    From both no-reload and fun perspectives Norgath and my Halfling Swashbuckler Isadora were memorable Charnames for me (even though Isadora fell earlier than she should have, seemingly due to an extremely unlikely stealth failure).
    I wonder if I could pull off the same with a solo Elven Assassin, i.e. create an awesome persona and be successful. They're definitely harder to play than shorty Bounty Hunters and Swashbucklers, requiring more micro-management as they won't be able to rely on saves until very late, have so few skill points to distribute, and two very specific offensive powers (poison and backstab) that become less reliable as the game advances.
    edited September 2015
    Sounds like the bounty hunter is the most effective thief kit throughout the whole series. I've never played one before. Can one of you fine folks give me a run down on playing a bounty hunter effectively? Also Blackraven do you have a link to your Norgath playthrough? EDIT: Nvm. Found it. :smile:
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Your Bounty Hunter is gonna be a badass regardless of the race you choose. Look to Yoshimo!
    I really enjoy the Bounty Hunter play-style, which for me means lots of stealth and trap-setting with my current dwarf. He is a good scout and a sufficiently skilled thief with extra traps on top of this, so ambushes and maneuver are his forte. I like the pre-battle planning and tactics. He is also mean with a crossbow of speed and his short swords and daggers when called for.

Last but not least, there is the great hooded dwarven thief avatar!