Skip to content

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

Comments

• YukkuriLordYukkuriLord Member Posts: 1
    I would love to play Icewind dale 2: EE or the normal Icewind dale 2 edition on steam (with steam OS support)
    Oriens
  • OriensOriens Member Posts: 28
    In this game, I came to the end , examining every little corner . The game is just amazing . I would play it with pleasure again. It would be great if this game was adapted under the old previous editition (2E) . The new edition (3E) I personally did not like . Just let him leave the new classes , races and sub-races , such as for example sfirfneblins and duergars etc . And, of course, adapts the screen , as it did in other EE versions of the Infinity Engine game .
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 38
    I probably wouldn't unless they changed really a whole lot of the game - probably more than making it an Enhanced Edition would encompass.

I thought IWD2 had some not-so-great area and encounter design. Lots of areas that either seemed overstuffed with enemies or featuring counterintuitive riddles that just seemed to be there to artificially stretch the game's length (Ice Temple, Fell Wood, eight chambers....).

Overall, I found IWD2 lacking a certain something that IWD has. The game feels rushed and not created with as much love for detail as the first one.

On the other hand, I thought IWD2's GUI is still the best to ever grace an Infinity Engine game and I'd love to see it becoming an option for the other games, too. Alas, that's probably not going to happen.
    DJKajuru
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    i would LOVE to have an EE version of this game!!

i played this when i was alot younger and i didnt know that the edition rules had changed as it was something i had no idea about so to me the game felt like an upgraded BG due to the class and race options it presented.

i loved that i could create a whole party (i played IWD2 before IWD) to my liking and get random exp along the way based on the classes i chose.

the feat system was new to me, even tho id played NWN as it was a bit clearer for me, and i loved how i could add potions to my mage or tracking to my ranger in how many points i wanted.

like any game it had its drawbacks and i agree that it was confusing at times and eugh so much winter but it leaves me with fond memories and nostalgia the way BG does and i would love to see if they could reignite that the way they did with the EE versions released so far :love:
    VarwulfScottfree9000DJKajuruCvijeta
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Krotos said:

I'm not sure if anyone's aware, but The Temple of Elemental Evil's community is working on a total conversion mod that'll bring IWD and IWD2 to TOEE's engine.

Okay, I did not know this, and you have just pushed me into a "Kid in a candy store"-like state. Thank you, sir :)
    Nimran
  • adam77adam77 Member Posts: 8
    Yes
    Varwulf
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I'm starting to think beamdog feels they're obligated to bring IWD2 over to 2nd Edition to fit their own content in, and that's obviously an overload of work

but TBH I'd rather just want a literal enhancement with just performance fixes and playability. I'm OK with 3rd edition even if it means having to re-learn just about everything.
    semiticgoddess
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    when i originally played i had no concept if edition rules and found it to be awesome! the only thing i had to get my head around was leveling up and feats as multiclasses were chosen with each level.

i personally think an EE version of game with the edition rules as it was originally made is doable and after a short adjustment period for those that have never played most people would love it.

the freedom of extra classes and races alone is something new and fresh compared to BG games
    Varwulf
  • Scottfree9000Scottfree9000 Member Posts: 18
    Still waiting for Icewind Dale 2 EE...
    DJKajuruSirBatince
  • UsuzeUsuze Member Posts: 2
    Definitely! I'm afraid we'll never see it happen, though.
    SirBatince
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2016
    I must admit I am getting a bit bored of the same old regurgitated classes. For IWD-1 There would need to be a complete class overhaul for me to consider buying it (adding the overused BG2 class systems isn't good enough..)

IWD-2 was more refreshing with feats and all but even so... the dale series are a banterless, romanceless dungeon crawls it just isn't my thing...
    Post edited by Teo_live on
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @Teo_live IWD2 uses 3rd edition rules instead of 2nd edition, so there's already a significant overhaul there...
    Pokota said:

@Teo_live IWD2 uses 3rd edition rules instead of 2nd edition, so there's already a significant overhaul there...

Yeah that post of mine was a confusing English fail, Edited my post accordingly

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]PokotaThacoBell
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Teo_live said:

I must admit I am getting a bit bored of the same old regurgitated classes. For IWD-1 There would need to be a complete class overhaul for me to consider buying it (adding the overused BG2 class systems isn't good enough..)

IWD-2 was more refreshing with feats and all but even so... the dale series are a banterless, romanceless dungeon crawls it just isn't my thing...

@Teo_live - Have you tried Kulyok's IWDNPC and Domi's IWD2NPC mods?

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?board=89.0

http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwd2npc/
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Yeah IWDNPC mod made my 2nd run so much better, never tried iwd2 npc...waiting for the EE to come out for that
    @AstroBryGuy Do those mods work with the EE versions?

I remember playing around with it a little many years ago (Peony is so cute lol!). My old IWD/IWD2 CD's are scratched to hell so I will definitely buy the EE dale series if those mods work as intended.

• marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    I would just because of the character creation lol. I always enjoyed the various options each class,race,whatever opened up too. I always preferred the art style of the portraits and more diverse voice options too. I loved making a druid or mage with bow skills or even a useful shapeshifting druid tank. You could even technically toss 1 level ranger on a mage and get free ambidex/duel wep with light armor and offset the armor penalty to casting by 15% at least. So neat combinations and builds are possible but its also possible to screw up a class completely lol.

It deff needs some more playable content to be made purchasable again as EE though. Maybe some new areas and even like mentioned a few older ones as watcher keep style areas. ( the crypts east of Kuldahar with kresselak, that guy was amazing ) General UI improvements but keep the same look/feel. It had its own unique look that doesnt need to be remade similar to how bg ended up.

The loot tables would need to be looked at as well. They have some nice items already but more +1/+2 and unique type weapons could be added and randomized or in stat areas to make things more interesting. More feats would be a very nice addition, the option to take prestige classes similar to NWN would be a neat addition to the already huge diversity but more feats in general would be better.

Clearer instructions on "how not to screw your party up" would be cool, as it stands picking up that game could be more work for newcomers if they already played BG series or iwd1. More or less go into multi classing and how it is different from dual class and more like add on perks/classes. I rolled a 1 monk and hes 1 or 2 druid currently with over 17-18armor. ( thats like wearing plate mail at lvl2 that early, but hes unarmored ) Balance the less useful classes too, ranger/rogue work best as low lvl mix ins but have some neat perks at higher lvls, maybe add some more perks etc and a ranger pet even.

Maybe extend the story and add more extra areas to explore like baldurs gate 1. I personally hated how they didnt continue that into the rest of the games much. Also various more difficulty levels and the option to turn off extra damage. You can restart the game in Heart of fury mode for tons of stronger loot, something like 100 items are HoF only mode, but its the one difficulty option only I believe. I wouldnt mind a few npcs with strong stories. You wouldnt need to make many, but 5-7 would be a good start as fillers and can be related to the story in ways. Druid from kuldahar, gnome apprentice mage, barbarian fighting the chimera for his reasons, cleric or paly fighting the ice goddesses clergy, a rogue or ranger in the serpents eye, maybe a different type of druid. There are ways npcs can be worked in and I wouldnt be expecting romance style things much if at all. Just a reason to like said npc's or not. I enjoy making my own group mostly if possible so for me this just helps if I mess one up or want the extra story.
    Varwulf
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2016
    Teo_live said:

@AstroBryGuy Do those mods work with the EE versions?

I remember playing around with it a little many years ago (Peony is so cute lol!). My old IWD/IWD2 CD's are scratched to hell so I will definitely buy the EE dale series if those mods work as intended.

IWDNPC does work with IWDEE as of v5 (v6 is the latest version of the mod).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36873/iwd-npc-v5-for-iwd-ee-is-now-available#latest

There is no IWD2EE (yet?), but IWD2 is on GOG (currently $10, but it goes on sale occasionally).
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Teo_live
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Checking to see how I voted...

I always had a love/hate relationship with IWD2. I loved how many different dialogue options their were for different races/classes. And, imo, 3e was a better ruleset for pc games. But the IWD series mo of less story, more fighting huge mobs and building all 6 of your party members really never appealed to me. My imaginary perfect game would be like some cross between IWD2 and BG, with less combat.
    DJKajuruThacoBell
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I always really enjoyed Icewind Dale 2. I really like the Icewind Dale setting and I also found the soundtrack to Icewind Dale 2 to be fantastic. I would definitely be up for playing it again if they ever did an EE version.
    DJKajuruCvijeta
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Come on you guuuys, do it pleaase
    Scottfree9000CvijetaMateoFrozensemiticgoddess
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Why buy another icewind dale game they won't update.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wesboi said:

Why buy another icewind dale game they won't update.

Its gonna update dude. Once 2.4 drops for the BGs, its gonna get ported over to IWD. THey have always done it that way. IWD has to wait longer, but it has always been the most stable product too.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Last update was Apr 2015. I'm not holding out for an update in 2017. Might as well go for 3 years without nothing.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Wesboi said:

Last update was Apr 2015. I'm not holding out for an update in 2017. Might as well go for 3 years without nothing.

as a valve software fan I'd tell you 3 years of wait is hilariously short
    ThacoBellrapsam2003semiticgoddess
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    I actually bought the game recently and totally loved the changes brought by the 3rd Edition rule set.

Unfortunately, I'm also a spoiled "I got into Baldur's Gate when they made the Enhanced Edition" player, so not having my quick-loot bar felt clunky and foreign. I stopped before really getting into it. I'll probably go back eventually, but if Beamdog is interested in securing a guaranteed purchase for an EE version...
    JuliusBorisov
  • BaldursGateToBBaldursGateToB Member Posts: 3
    Would definitly buy it and a Planescape Torment EE as well.
    DJKajuruJuliusBorisov