Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

191011121315»

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 7,109
    edited September 19
    I would totally play the shit out of this game
    @TrentOster
    Please, don't give up on IDW2EE!
    I understand that the lack of the source code makes the enhancement work definitely more hard and difficult, but the vanilla game has a large amount of fans that would do anything for the enhanced edition of this game.

PLEASE!

ThacoBellArctodusMinsic
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 199
    Meh, probably not...
    Aedan said:

@TrentOster
    Please, don't give up on IDW2EE!
    I understand that the lack of the source code makes the enhancement work definitely more hard and difficult, but the vanilla game has a large amount of fans that would do anything for the enhanced edition of this game.

I am not so certain that the lack of source code prevents them from making IWD2 EE.

I think is more likely that the game is so fundamentally different than BG1&2 or IWD1 that they cannot port the game properly to their enhanced engine.

If you look at IWD1 EE, you can notice that it is not as much enhanced as it is baldurized. Is not just the kits, but also the fact that icons were not taken from the original IWD, the pathfiding was not imported either and even the actual possibility of replacing the characters while in game (having to go through the older BG1 system of saving in multiplayer to replace them).

And the cherry on the cake... I have years of modding (mostly for my own use) of IWD1. I used NearInfinity tool for years to disect the engine of the game. One of the problems that I ran into was importing into IWD1 items from BG2. Especially things that dealt damage like disruption, vorpal and alike.
    My problem was that inherent to the IWD1 engine, these effects did not exist. The closest was the item ability called Mace of Disruption applied to the Three White Doves, added by Heart of Winter add-on. BG2 used abilities called EFF instead, which I could not import into IWD1.

Well, what do you know? NearInfinity works on IWD1 EE too. And here Three White Doves uses EFF effect and not Mace of Disruption ability.

This makes me think that Beamdog team simply imported from IWD1 game things that would make the existing Enhanced engine look like Icewind Dale and not like BG, without actually using the source code.

There is absolutely nothing enhanced about Icewind Dale 1.

Thus, I do believe that IWD2 does not need an source code to become enhanced. Is simply not possible to make the game adaptable to the existing enhanced engine.

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,490
    Redrake said:

I am not so certain that the lack of source code prevents them from making IWD2 EE.

I would say you've never made a large software product then...

tbone1
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 1,775
    Redrake said:

This makes me think that Beamdog team simply imported from IWD1 game things that would make the existing Enhanced engine look like Icewind Dale and not like BG, without actually using the source code.

There is absolutely nothing enhanced about Icewind Dale 1.

Thus, I do believe that IWD2 does not need an source code to become enhanced. Is simply not possible to make the game adaptable to the existing enhanced engine.

uhm ...yeah? how about some elementary historic fact? never heard of IWD-in-BG2?
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 199
    Meh, probably not...
    bob_veng said:

uhm ...yeah? how about some elementary historic fact? never heard of IWD-in-BG2?

Yes, I did. I beta-tested it actually. That one mod had a lot of issues. But it basically did what Beamdog did with EE, without resorting to source code.

• RavandelRavandel Member Posts: 26
    Currently playing IWD2 after a lot of time and nerves wasted on trying to run it on present day laptop. Since I just have finished IWD1:EE I see a lot of missing features in IWD2 which are implemented in EE like loot all, better adjusted resolutions (mods don't fix this completly).

Also IWD1:EE got kinda more subclasses. But still I like a lot of features implemented in 3rd edition and some just IWD2 things like more dialog options which depends on your race/class etc. IWD1 doesn't have many of this.

So ye, I would buy IWD2, I still really like this game. Too bad probably IWD3 will happen faster than IWD2:EE :P
    AedanThacoBell
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 7,109
    Ravandel said:

Too bad probably IWD3 will happen faster than IWD2:EE :P

That is what I have been saying for years now! ;)
    Luke93