Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

1101112131416»

Comments

• AronAron Member Posts: 54
    I would totally play the shit out of this game
    I must say that I enjoyed playing Icewind Dale II very much when it was released. I was kind of expecting an expansion to come for this game aswell, but sadly never did.
    IWD II EE would be a dream come true for me, seeing all these characters and story again! At times it was very difficult battles for me, but that I enjoyed aswell.

I hope so very much that Beamdog will be able to create an enhanced edition of this maginificent game!

Meanwhile we all can wait with excitement for Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition. I never completed this game before, and I'm really looking forward to see what Beamdog will do with this game in the end.

I continue to support Beamdog in every way I can, I think they do an incredeble job to reignite the interests for good old games!

Proont
  • dexter442dexter442 Member Posts: 2
    My soul needs Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition

Scottfree9000
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 33

Frankly I wouldn't even mind if we lost all the cool 3E stuff in IWD2. I currently have the original IWD2 from GOG, and I think it would be great to play IWD2 with standard 2E stuff.

Come to think of it, it might be less work to just re-create the game using the EE 2.X engine (copying over all the areas and critters and dialog and scripting and so forth) than to try to revamp the 3E system and all of those feats and unique 3E effects. Like creating a giant quest mod.

get enough people on board and you may be able to recreate Icewind Dale 2 in the EE engine, assuming you have enough access to it. (I would love you forever for this). Just look at Skywind or Skyblivion. Those teams are recreating games in the Skyrim engine, and they're huge teams--I'm assuming, I don't have a count. I do know, however, great games can be made with small teams. I think the EverQuest team started out as 3-5 people and grew to 25 by its initial release. Just need the right mix of skills (alas, none of my game dev skills include 2d at any reasonable level; or I'd sign up in a heartbeat).

• inethineth Member Posts: 516

get enough people on board and you may be able to recreate Icewind Dale 2 in the EE engine, assuming you have enough access to it. (I would love you forever for this). Just look at Skywind or Skyblivion. Those teams are recreating games in the Skyrim engine [...]

This is also how IWD:EE started: As the IWD-in-BG2 mod by CamDawg, DavidW & co., which ported the IWD content to the BG2:ToB game engine. It reached a playable beta stage, even without a large team.

Beamdog then picked it up, finished/polished it, did some UI work, and released it as IWD:EE... :)

Of course, doing the same for IWD2 would take much more effort, since the differences (in rules, file formats, etc.) are much larger than those between IWD and BG2 were.

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,561
    ineth said:

Beamdog then picked it up, finished/polished it, did some UI work, and released it as IWD:EE... :)

You missed a gigantic step. Beamdog acquired the IWD source code.

That's the problem with IWD2; no one knows where the source code is.

ThacoBellDev6
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 201
    Yeah, without the source code you'd basically have to re-create IWD2 from scratch in the EE engine. Which isn't impossible at all from a technical standpoint, but isn't remotely feasible for Beamdog cost-wise.

• MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 38
    edited May 27
    I would for sure. I never got to play the original one, I actually dont remember it coming out for the Mac, but according to Moby Games it did, and we got it on GOG so I completely missed it.. I have the original from GOG but Id still complete the EE collection if it came out.