Skip to content

Trent Oster has registered domains for Axis & Allies games

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited August 2016 in Off-Topic
A recent domain search shows Trent Oster has registered new domains in June, 2016:

aanda1942.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com
aa1942.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com
axisandallies1943.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com
axisandallies1942.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com
axisandallies1941.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com
axisandallies1940.com 2016-06-30 godaddy.com

Source

We all remember that Trent has "a domain buying habit" and we "shouldn't look too deep" into it, but...

The Axis & Allies (1984–present) board game series is currently produced by WotC under the Avalon Hill label. Hasbro is the parent company. There are a total of 11 board games in the Axis & Allies series, 8 of which are currently available from many game resellers.

Axis & Allies is a series of World War II strategy board games. Originally designed by Larry Harris and published by Nova Game Designs in 1981, the game was republished by the Milton Bradley Company in 1984 as part of the Gamemaster Series of board games. This edition has been retroactively named Axis & Allies: Classic to differentiate it from later revisions.

The 11th A&A board game in the series, Axis & Allies: Europe 1940 was released in August, 2010. As you can see, Trent registered domains for Axis & Allies 1940, 1941, 1942 and 1943, with an emphasis on 1942.

Are we on the brink of getting Axis & Allies strategy games from Beamdog for PC and tablets?

Is it a side-project? Questions, questions...
dunbarjoluvAerakarkanisathaNonnahswriterCrevsDaakButtercheeseLiluraDoubledimasmlnevesemashedtaterslolien

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Never heard of this franchise up 'till now. But then again, the only war games I keep track of are about Warhammer. And this probably won't change any time soon.
    Buttercheese
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    This would be tremendous news! I used to be a huge wargamer but gave up when the genre died out. I have very fond memories of playing the A&A boardgame back in college in the 80s.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I had a lot of fun with Axis and Allies back when it was a wargame (I forget who published it). Also when it was picked up as a boardgame with plastic miniatures, although some of the rule changes made it a little less fun to me.

For awhile I had a computer game version of Axis and Allies that was a lot of fun to play, but it won't run (or even install) on modern computers.

Picked up Hearts of Iron III complete today (Paradox Summer Sale) because this thread made me nostalgic for grand strategic WWII wargaming.
    JuliusBorisov
    BillyYank said:

I still have my old A&A boardgame. Of course, it usually went like this:

Get out game.
    Start setting up.
    Continue setting up.
    Finish setting up.
    Realize we don't have anymore time to play.
    Put everything away.

A computer version would be great, but it's been tried before without much success. I wonder if there's enough of a market for it to turn a profit.

But at least you get to do this much. My A&A boardgame has been gathering dust for a very long time because I no longer have people in my life to do any gaming with of any kind - including especially very sadly tabletop D&D.

If anyone knows of a tabletop gaming group in the North Shore area of Massachusetts, please share. :smile:
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I have fond memories of A&A sessions at my old student fraternity. I remember my complete disbelief when another player told me about people putting a submarine in the Caspian Sea was a form of tactics.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    That man, Oster, forced me to accept Steam. Where the idealism meets pragmatism, and sometimes worse. Hated him for that, maybe still do a little: but the argument and all that, still stands.

So I hope this is Scorch, or better. ;-)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    if anyone has any tips and tricks for how Japan wins a slap fight with the USA... help
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SethDavis said:

if anyone has any tips and tricks for how Japan wins a slap fight with the USA... help

The only time I played Japan I lost. Mostly because Germany was useless and decided it was going to become a grand naval power (and didn't do too well against the Russians as a result).

So not sure I can really help :)
    CrevsDaakSethDavis
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Ardanis
    I am afraid they are already doing literally just that:
    ArdanisCrevsDaakTroodon80FinneousPJ
    SethDavis said:

It's been a really long time since I played, but played a lot back in college and grad school, and the most common strategy for Japan that was effective hinged on really good luck in the first turn. You need to send all the forces you can to Hawaii to anhilate the US naval and air forces there. But you also have to hold back one of your aircraft so that you can simultaneously take the US Asian territory that has an aircraft on it. If this works, then you need to build a factory somewhere on the Asian mainland to help conquer territories on the Asian mainland while using your naval forces, especially lots of subs, to defend against an eventual US comeback attempt. Don't be tempted to go island-hopping. It's a losing strategy against superior US power.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

@Ardanis

Heh, actually I was more expecting "Wrong game!" answer :)
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaakTroodon80Nimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Ardanis said:

@Ardanis

Heh, actually I was more expecting "Wrong game!" answer :)
    It seems so wrong... but feels oh so right.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    SethDavis said:

Make lots of money by building cheep electronic devices, then buy them out.
  • Zach_BDZach_BD Member Posts: 9
    SethDavis said:

SethDavisAlexeiPepersCrevsDaaktbone1
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    to win the game' is a war of attrition with axis powers closing in on russia and allied players keeping up ipc while choking off germany ftw.
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    buy infantry don't bother with tech, and keep your fighters alive for D