Skip to content

Are there any mods?

I'll ask here as I've found nothing giving any clear answers. Are there any mods for SoD, or is even possible to mod it?

Let me put on my Ankheg plate before I say that SoD was a let down for me, it just wasn't Baldur's Gate. But I think there is a lot there that can be salvaged , with so much new content I don't think it would be too hard for a rewrite/rework/retooling to really bring out a great game.

But I've seen nothing like this about, no balance, story or overhaul mods.

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    there are two npcs that have sod content. and a mod that moves dorn but thats about it.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It desperately needs a continuation of "NPC project".

My main disappointment was the lack of (IMO) consideration for how long original NPC have been a part of peoples' imagination/head cannon/lives.
    So little content for NPC who so many of us have felt we have known for years.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It desperately needs a continuation of "NPC project".

My main disappointment was the lack of (IMO) consideration for how long original NPC have been a part of peoples' imagination/head cannon/lives.
    So little content for NPC who so many of us have felt we have known for years.

An infortunate side effect for having so little characterization in vanilla bg.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    There are two NPC mods that are complete and playable. I wrote one and @LavaDelVortel wrote the other. We're both working on other stuff atm so there's nothing more coming from us in the near future, maybe someone else is secretly writing something but idk. The thing is I doubt anyone is writing SoD-exclusive NPCs (just like how you can count the number of ToB-exclusive NPC mods in one hand) and the few that are writing an NPC mod will probably want to start from BG1, and that is a lot of work. I wrote my NPC for BG1 last year so I only had to write up the SoD portion, and most of that time was spent learning how to use the rather unfamiliar code that SoD brought in. It's probably not that hard to do, but I doubt any modder really wants to start from SoD.

I can't speak for modding quests, overhauls or anything of that sort. I can only say that personally I'm not interested in doing it, and maybe others are feeling the same.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    Verr'Sza was supposed to be SoD only, but it became full BG1+SoD mod. Perhaps someone will write something SoD only, but I wouldn't really wait for that to happen any soon. I myself know nothing about that kind of project.
    My next mod is going to be for BG2EE and it's not going to be Verr'Sza, but a shamanic stronghold and a shaman NPC.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @ThacoBell

"An infortunate side effect for having so little characterization in vanilla bg."

But the same can be said for the modders, fans, fic writers, artists ect. who make up the BG fanbase.
    It never stopped them.

OK sometimes the results are questionable, but at least they tried.
    There was enough to fuel the imagination for the amateurs, why not the professionals?

Just small things would have been OK.
    For instance, you can get a pointy hat and give it to Edwin (I made a thread about it). The whole "give me 2 thousands years ect." is a classic line and yet a line of dialog acknowledging the "pointy hat" couldn't have been included?

And just a little dialog with the companions who leave at the beginning, it's not exactly a lot to ask for.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    To each their own I suppose. I greatly appreciated the expanded characterizations in SOD.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited October 2016
    Sales figures for SoD aren't public but have to be a small fraction of BG1/BG2 sales, so it isn't especially surprising that relatively few SoD-only mods have been written. Also, a fair number of BG1/BG2 mods started out as fans requesting content who then got off their couches and coded it. We haven't seen much of that with SoD, at least so far.
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    Very informative, thanks for the input!

I'll keep my eyes open for anything in the next few years, it would be interesting to see what if anything people do with it.
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    Damn the reason I was so hesitant to buy SoD was the lack of mods. Guess I will just wait for it to go on special in steam and start a project to mod it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.