Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

For those who are just dying, without any apparent reason...
    Do you know when the 'mysterious poisoning' of CHARNAME triggers? The one where you have 10 days to cure it through that quest in BG city? I'm wondering if that's getting triggered and you all aren't getting cured in time.

Just to answer the question the timer starts when you talk to Lothander in the central city area.
    and ends when you pick up the 10 cure bottles he should drop after death unlike vanilla where just talking to the guy before the battle ends it... the beamdog change is bugged and he may not drop the cure which does make your game unwinnable so a reload is needed.

• MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited October 2016
    ussnorway said:

Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

Do you know when the 'mysterious poisoning' of CHARNAME triggers? The one where you have 10 days to cure it through that quest in BG city? I'm wondering if that's getting triggered and you all aren't getting cured in time.

Just to answer the question the timer starts when you talk to Lothander in the central city area.
    and ends when you pick up the 10 cure bottles he should drop after death unlike vanilla where just talking to the guy before the battle ends it... the beamdog change is bugged and he may not drop the cure which does make your game unwinnable so a reload is needed.

What happens if you rush the game and end it before the timer runs out? You die in SoA?
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    MacHurto said:

ussnorway said:

Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

What happens if you rush the game and end it before the timer runs out? You die in SoA?
    No, lol.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    RelSundan said:

MacHurto said:

ussnorway said:

Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

No, lol.
    If you're playing BGT, you do. I don't know if the same applies to EET.
    Aasim said:

RelSundan said:

MacHurto said:

ussnorway said:

Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

No, lol.
    Oh, I have never played BGT actaully. Isn't that the mod that allows traveling between the worldmap of both games as well?
    RelSundan said:

Aasim said:

RelSundan said:

MacHurto said:

ussnorway said:

Grond0 said:

alceryes said:

No, lol.
    Oh, I have never played BGT actaully. Isn't that the mod that allows traveling between the worldmap of both games as well?
    Blasphemy! :)
    No, you need EET for that. There is a mod (Neverending Journey, latest version) for BG2 that allows that also I think, since it uses some BG1 areas. It's a good mod, with some seriously OP equipment unfortunately.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 That was bad luck in the Ducal palace and the bandit camp. :(
    @Blind_Visionary All the best in SoD
    @RelSundan Hope you enjoy no reload. I have found it more fun than reloading.
    It sure is! I haven't really met any dangers yet to taste the real pressure of the element, but I am definitely looking forward to it. So far I am loving it, and the character I am playing was a cool idea as well. I have a tendency of dying "bullshit" deaths, like forgetting about a trap or accidently cancel a spell when I really just wanted to select another character, wasting a spell that more often than not changes the outcome of the battle drastically. And thank you @Wise_Grimwald
    Nicely done! Looking forward to Amn!
    @Grond0 Congrats
    Go Grond0, to glory! Awesome portrait btw, reminds me of Prehistorik 2.
    edited October 2016

Ætheling the Erudite Continued

Ætheling went down the Nashkel mines and cast silence on Mulahey. Then cast her Holy Smite spells which injured him without turning him hostile, possibly because Ætheling was out of sight. She then summoned skeletons which attacked and killed Mulahey whilst Ætheling was once more out of sight. Therefore no screenshots.

Similar tactics were used against Tranzig, Deke, and Tauzogh. The skellies also killed a bunch of bandits without being told to.

After the skellies had died, Ætheling slept and summoned some more which were buffed with chant, bless and barkskin. She went inside Tazok's tent and lured out the enemy into the trap. Had to re-enter a couple of times to lure them all out except Hakt who she killed as one on one seemed fair.

I am just wondering, is it better to have four skellies, or three who have been buffed with Strength of One?

I have never tried this tactic before, and it seems most effective.
    Lovely stuff there Grond0. Out of curiosity, what are your spell picks?

Strangely, almost every time I try to like other people's posts, I get a "Whoops you need to enable Java Script" message. So sorry for not liking (some of) your posts fellow no-reloaders. I do really like them.
    In my last post I forgot to mention @aldain (single class mage, nice!) and @CrevsDaak (love the Sharpshooter kit, especially with unnerfed poison weapon). Good luck to you both, and good luck to @RelSundan. I'm quite fond of the Wizard Slayer kit. Looking forward to more Thrunni.
    @Grond0, congrats too. Great portrait, and great work. Keep it going in Amn.

Sigrid, Priestess of Lathander, 2nd BG1 update

We decide to explore the lands north of the FAI, avoiding Ankhegs for now. Gavin and Sigrid do loot their hoard under Sanctuary. Father Brun is brought his son’s corpse, and given a 100 GP to get by. Tenya receives the bowl that three fishermen stole from her mother. We fight one Ankheg, but have no difficulty killing it thanks to two Commands. Taerom Fuiruim works its carapace into a suit of Ankheg armor for Jaheira.

Sigrid and Gavin’s first big task for Keldath Ormlyr is to eliminate the danger that is Bassilus the murderer. We track him down in the Red Canyons and we fail to fool him. His prebuffs are Remove Fear, Bless, AoF, DUHM, Defensive Harmony and Free Action, which is a bit of a surprise. These short duration buffs weren’t created in an ambush or teleport situation. If anything, we were ambushing him. Or do I not understand this SCS component correctly? Either way it matters little. Bassilus does manage to cast a Hold Person at Khalid, but the Half-Elf saves, and Sigrid then Silences the priest. Two Commands and a stun with the Stupefier that Imoen had gifted to Sigrid (without telling where she had it from), allows the party to severely injure Bassilus. At near death status, he gets up, and the Silence wears off, but a missile from Imoen’s wand does him in.
    The party reports the good news to Keldath, and spends some leisure time in Beregost. We meet Garrick and agree to protect his employer, Silke. When we call her out on her deceit, she turns against us. Her only pre-buff is Stoneskin, she casts MI. Gavin fails to Command her, but Sigrid’s Hold Person paralyzes the bard. A collective assault strips her of her MIs and Stoneskins, and eventually does her in. Garrick joins the party. I have a soft spot for Garrick, and so does Imoen:
    Garrick likes Imoen as well because the next day he gives her a fancy pink cloak, Imoen’s favorite color.

Sigrid and Gavin’s next assignment for the Temple is to stop Mutamin from making more victims.
    The party receives six potions of mirrored eyes, and they buy a green scroll of PfPetrification at the Nashkel Carnival, where Garrick is given a rare tome by one Archibald. Khalid reads the green scroll, and takes down eight of the Basilisks with his longbow. Mutamin and two remaining Basilisks require a careful approach. Khalid, uncomfortable with being sent off to do the dirty work on his own, welcomes the help of Korax. Sigrid is disgusted but manages to focus on the task at hand. She scouts Mutamin and his two remaining pets and Silences him. So Khalid and the ghoul can dispatch the two monsters without the Gnome intervening. Mutamin is not amused and attacks Khalid with his staff, but he is no match for the warrior and the ghoul. Korax paralyzes both Basilisks, allowing Sigrid to kill a Greater one, and killing the Lesser one itself.
    During their mission all party members level up once. We want to fight Kirian and co. for the Golden Girdle, but the only way to antagonize them is by taunting them and threatening to kill them. The hunters may be rude, but fighting and killing them would be way too harsh a response for this party, so we let them go.

To those people who say that the game doesn’t reward playing evil as much as it does playing good, I’d like to ask: have you ever played a truly good character? I mean Elves’ Bane, Golden Girdle, Algernon’s Cloak, Boots of Stealth, Meilum’s Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, Cloak of Balduran, the Stupefier, Helm of Balduran, Cloak of Balduran, Helm of Glory, Wisdom tome from the temple of Tymora in Baldur’s Gate, Black Lily’s wares at the Thieves’ Guild in Baldur’s Gate, Sunin’s Ring of Wizardry, many many scrolls, the list probably goes on. All these items can be obtained with ease by evil or maybe kleptomaniac or mercenary-type neutral characters. But the acquisition of all these items involves theft, provocation, and/or needless bloodshed and thus seems hard to justify by any mentally sane good-aligned character.
    I wonder how well I’m capable of keeping this up. Forgoing nice items and finding mostly empty slots in characters’ inventory screens ain’t pretty, and avoiding certain quests or battles because there is no RP justification also makes me feel like I’m missing out on some nice action. I’m cool with giving up the girdle of piercing, but I was a bit disappointed when I couldn’t fight Kirian and her friends, not just for her belt but also for the fun of the battle. I may take a more liberal approach from now on. Interpret dialogue in the most favorable way possible, invent reasons to enter buildings, and give other characters’ personalities more weight.

Keldath’s potions of mirrored eyes prove priceless when we get waylaid by another Basilisk on the way back to the temple to report our success.

On the North Coast Shoal gives Garrick a kiss of death. Khalid attacks her alone with his bow, hoping she’ll come to her senses before it’s too late. Alas, she doesn’t and she dies. This isn’t the first time Shoal fails to beg for mercy. Losing out on so many good items I really anticipated getting the Helmet of Defense. I wonder if this is a bug. I purposely attacked with one character to prevent that a salvo of missiles might break the script. Looks like the best helmets this party can get their hands may be Kiel’s Helmet and the Helmet of Infravision.

Sigrid’s and Gavin’s Hold Persons prove deadly for Karlat, for Zargal’s men, and for Greywolf. We protect Prism, because one of Lathander’s tenets is to foster culture and the arts. We bring the emeralds that Prism drops to Oublek for 300 GP so that they can return to their rightful owner, rather than selling them for 1500 GP.

We then return north and dispatch to dispatch the many Ankhegs we had seen there. Jaheira and Khalid prove quite capable meleeing them.

Garrick finishes reading his book and wants to look for traces of a famous Half-Elven Bard, the late Myr’Cutio, near Ulcaster. We find him, undead and surrounded by some Zombies, and have to fight him. Sigrid’s Hold Undead ability makes this a piece of cake.
    Garrick takes the Bard’s stylish armor (caster chain with AC4).

We then return to Beregost to carry out Sigrid and Gavin’s final test for the church of Lathander, solving the mystery of disappearing townspeople in Beregost. Through a rogue in the Burning Wizard we learn the location of the crimes, the house of Lady Valeria opposite the inn. After some interrogation of her butler, we are attacked by four warriors led by a priest, but Imoen and Khalid disrupt his spell casting, and Sigrid and Gavin manage to Hold all four men.
    We finish them (the priest drops a suit of full plate armor, Sigrid's prospective engame armor), and Sigrid and Gavin head upstairs to find Lady Valeria. She explains that she’s responsible for the disappearances. She has studied these people, hoping to develop a happiness elixir but ended up killing them in the process. When Sigrid and Gavin refuse to leave her to her work she goes hostile. Both priests start casting Silence, but Sigrid is interrupted by a Flame Arrow for no less than 33 damage.
    She retreats. Gavin does manage to Silence Lady Valeria, and dispatches her with her companions. She drops valuable gems and a robe of the evil archmagi, welcome loot to be converted in gold. Gavin and Sigrid, now Dawnbringers of Lathander, are overjoyed to see Keldath Ormlyr happy with their work, and to have proven themselves to Lathander.

After some time for contemplation as well as celebration we proceed to explore the coast. We help Charleston Nib, and Sigrid, a collector of artifacts for her church, takes the idol of Kozah. This means we have to battle the Doomsayer. Unfortunately we have great difficulty landing hits. Garrick’s Magic Missiles and wand of fire scorchers do the job.

Further north Imoen quaffs a potion of invisibility and Sigrid uses Sanctuary to bypass Sirines and Flesh Golems and loot Black Alaric’s cave. We shall return there later, when we feel ready to deal with these foes. We meet Safana but only Garrick seems eager to have her around. We decide against having her in the party.
    I don't recognize those last quests, with the Beregost lady. Is that a mod or do you have to be a priest of Lathander?
    @Enuhal

Tbh, I actually prefer Carsomyr working as "non-nerfed". You've got Dispel Arrows which almost anybody can use, you've got Magi Staff, so why not a paladin-only sword which requires a dragon to die? Makes more sense then either of these two...and staff is much better than Carsomyr.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2016
    Blackraven said...
    isn’t the first time Shoal fails to beg for mercy. Losing out on so many good items I really anticipated getting the Helmet of Defense. I wonder if this is a bug. I purposely attacked with one character to prevent that a salvo of missiles might break the script. Looks like the best helmets this party can get their hands may be Kiel’s Helmet and the Helmet of Infravision.

It's not a bug. Once she kisses someone dead, have a single character attacker her in MELEE. She'll talk if she is close enough. I'm sure Khalid plinking away she wanted to talk but got killed before she got within range. Also, when attacking in melee, be careful NOT to attack with someone with huge damage potential (like Minsc with a two-hand sword) - you don't want to one-shot with a critical after all.
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member, Moderator Posts: 935
    edited October 2016
    @Aasim

Well, if you also remove arrows of dispelling from stores and take away the staffs invisibilty power, it all balances out, I think.
    Over multiple runs with and without paladins, I've noticed a huge difference in the effort it takes to deal with a ton of different opponents, though dragons might be affected the most. Sure, the unnerfed staff of the magi might be more powerful, but it at least takes some effort to use, especially when playing with a party (solo is a different story). Carsomyr is often the main reason to even have a paladin in your party, and it completely takes away the need to do anything but attack in a ton of battles.

That's just my opinion based on my observations and my playstyle. I tend not to overuse items like the staff of the magi, and I usually don't play solo, so perspectives might vary a lot.
    edited October 2016
    @Enuhal I never bother with fists - anytime I want the HoD, I just turn off AI, attack in melee, with a weak fighter like Khalid alone and sure enough soon she has had enough. This has worked EVERY time (and I get the HoD quite often with my parties).
    Aasim said:

@Enuhal

Tbh, I actually prefer Carsomyr working as "non-nerfed". You've got Dispel Arrows which almost anybody can use, you've got Magi Staff, so why not a paladin-only sword which requires a dragon to die? Makes more sense then either of these two...and staff is much better than Carsomyr.

The other thing is, the Carsomyr is slow so hardly broken. "Broken" weapons are those like the Foebane - Alesia_BH got huge HP with that (300 or more?) with GWW, that plus her equipment/potion defenses and no enemy or enemies were any threat to her (well almost none - she lost her battle with two dragons (Abazigal and his partner dragon in Ascension).
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2016
    Interesting discussion of staying in character during runs. As I went through my last run, I was thinking about how much content I might be missing because of the Ring of Human Influence from Lord Foreshadow. I've gotten into the habit of treating charisma as a trash stat because of that ring. Steinarr, while very intelligent, probably couldn't get a room in an inn because of his ugly face and inability to do more than grunt out a few syllables in a row without wearing that ring. I think for my next run, I'm going to toss it into the river and forget about it, and see how people actually react...

I've also gotten into the habit of digging through all the item randomizer locations, out of lack of confidence that I can survive SCS Cloakwood bounty hunters + Davaeorn without lots of goodies. It would definitely make things more interesting to have good characters pass up on the places that require dodgy behavior to access. It would be a bit like the option to have randomizer randomly get rid of items...