Skip to content

Shadowdancer questions

NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
Even though I haven't gone past act 2 with my druid (doing all the quests I can find) I'm thinking about making a shadowdancer as it sounds stupidly OP
Few questions first:

Can Shadow Form and Shadow Twin be taken more then once?

Shadow Twin is basically Simulcram right? So you can have more then one shadow Twin just like Simulcram?

What race is best for Shadowdancer, Elf?

Cloak of Non-detection makes hide in shadows undispellable right? I keep seeing conflicting info on whether it works with just spells or just hide in shadows or works on both

Due to low ability points is best to use the shadow gear received from Renald Scalcap right?

If question 1 and 2 are correct I plan on using Shadow Twin to chain backstabs together to offset the low backatab multiplier will this work out to be the same as a normal thiefs damage?

What weapons and weapon style should I go?

Comments

• NightmareWraithNightmareWraith Member Posts: 77
    True seeing kills Shadow Twin? Damn, at least the Cloak protects stealth thanks for that :)

By shadow gear I mean the items you get from Reynald when you kill Mae'Var, I'm also playing single character.

So having the main character doing 3x back stab and the Shadow Twins dealing 2x won't be good?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Handy to cast restoration on your shadow twins to restore them to your level.
    @Wowo That works? wow that sounds so much like some bug/exploit, does that work on Simulcram as well? If so a Mage/cleric would be even more ridicolous....
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited October 2016
    @NightmareWraith Oops... I made a mistake when I said that. I was thinking of Project Image and Mislead. No, Shadow Twins are NOT killed by True Seeing.

And yeah that is an old exploit with simulacrums. They are basically perfect clones of you except they get level drained to 60% of your level.

As for your Shadow Twin vs. Simulacrum questions perhaps I can answer them all by saying this: There is absolutely no difference between the two. Both the Shadow Twin HLA and the Simulacrum spell use the exact same opcode to make their clones. Think of them as the same thing, because they pretty much are.

By the way, I did the math and, by the time you can actually get the Shadow Twin ability, both you and your clone will be doing x4 backstabs.
    @Tresset What seriously? I thought you could get shadow twin soon as HLA become avaliable yet both of us will have 4x back stab
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, you can pick Shadow Twin as soon as you get HLAs. HLAs appear once you reach 3 million XP in your active class(es). By the time a thief reaches 3mil XP they are level 24. 60% of 24 is 14 so your clone will be level 14. Shadowdancers reach their maximum backstab multiplier of x4 at level 13. Therefore both you and your clone would have a x4 backstab by the first level you could take a HLA.
    Oh that's awesome, shadowdancer is awesome, using the thief guy in pomenade I can sell and steal back wand of summoning enough times to buy Mercy killer and now I'm clearing the slaver den by back stabbing by hiding in shadows as soon as I attack. (I stole the Cloak of Non-Detection then used Shadow step to run away :P )
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Restoration no longer works on clones in EE. A sorcerer in vanilla could use Restoration on a clone and get all of its spells back without needing to Wish-rest, but this is no longer possible.

Restoration no longer works on clones in EE. A sorcerer in vanilla could use Restoration on a clone and get all of its spells back without needing to Wish-rest, but this is no longer possible.

I kinda thought that they had fixed that exploit by now, but I wasn't sure so I didn't mention it.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I am not sure about it but restoration should still restore the levels, even if there is no rememorization. So a spell lasting X rounds/level will last longer. And a Fighter's simulacrum should gain the full thac0.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @gorgonzola: Nope. Clones are flat-out immune to the Restoration spell now.